my seraphina in homespun

kkms

i enjoyed making my black seraphina so much i wanted to make myself another one. but while i was looking for yarn for it, my grandmother found one that she like so i decided to make this one for her. shhhh its a surprise.

pics are clickable

th_IMG_1069.jpg

th_IMG_1067.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice!! I'm afraid to make one because I've heard that the pattern is somewhat difficult to understand.

Odd tangent I know, but seeing you in your basement makes me long to have one. No such thing as basements here in Florida. I miss having one terribly!!!!!!!!! Enjoy! :)

Granny will love her new shawl!

I am just getting ready to start one. Yours turned out so beautiful. Which pattern did you use? I am going to use.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/donisfuff/croshawl.html

Thankx for the inspiration

Good luck! I made one of those shawls, because I thought it was pretty, but after I finished it, I hated it. Not only was the pattern the worst written pattern I'd used in a long time, I just couldnt stand looking at the shawl when I was done. I thought it was ugly (bad choice of yarn color) At least when my aunt saw it, she thought it was the neatest thing I'd made in awhile, so she got the shawl.

I just started one tonight and found the pattern a little confusing, but after looking at the picture of the row I was working on, it helped a lot. I found the thing you have to do is count! If it looks like the picture and you have the right amount of stitches, you are alright. I am on row 10. :hook

that is the same pattern that i used. with a couple minor tweeks. i did not add as many ch1 as is in the pattern...so mine is not so holey!

the pattern is difficult to understand in the beginning. i found if i looked at the pictures and explantion on the pictures it just confused me more. so i read the directions in text only. and sometime i did not read what was in the ().

my first one i did in patons grace black. and it took me 4/5 days. this one took a little longer but only cuz i ran out of yarn and need to wait for pay dya to get more.

the second one once i got it going i was able to do it with out the directions.

i also found that it helped me to write down which row and sequence number i was on.

if you try it...all i can say it keep at it. i will help if i am able to.

I am just getting ready to start one. Yours turned out so beautiful. Which pattern did you use? I am going to use.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/donisfuff/croshawl.html

Thankx for the inspiration

now see i found the pictures confusing. especially after you start repeating the sequences.

i guess there are people who love it or hate it.

I just started one tonight and found the pattern a little confusing, but after looking at the picture of the row I was working on, it helped a lot. I found the thing you have to do is count! If it looks like the picture and you have the right amount of stitches, you are alright. I am on row 10. :hook

no the color was noveneu or somthing like that. actually when my grandmother picked out for me (i liked the barley color one she liked this one better, thats why she got it) i hated it in the skein. but once i got going with it i loved the colors!!!

how pretty!!

i just finished an afghan out of that color of Homespun (is it fiesta? i cant remember the name for sure). it is such a pretty yarn and so cozy! love your scarf.

Oh that is just beautiful.

Two of my favorite things. homespun yarn and the seraphina shawl.

I did one last year for a "dirty santa" game at a party and there was almost a fight over it. I did it in one of the light brown colors, but can't remember which.

This year, I'm doing one in harvest for a very dear friend who does reenacting with us, and I'm doing one in Barley for the dirty santa game. I figure this way the girl who didn't get the one last year has another chance. LOL

I love the nouveau, but haven't done anything with it yet. After seeing your shawl, I may be doing one for myself in that color!

Thank you for sharing.

Lovely!!!! I ADORE The Seraphina shawl, I was lucy enough to be RAOK's a Serafina in Vanna's Choice yarn, pink, and I LOVE it. I NEVER could get that pattern figured out, and I tried, my ADD got the best of me everytime. The kitty has a couple serafina wanna be's..lol..

• 2 weeks later...

Your seraphina is gorgeous!

I just started this pattern tonight. I was petrified to start because the pattern IS difficult to understand, but by studying the pictures, its easier to figure out what the designer meant to say.

I've gotten to row 12 and I finally feel comfortable with the pattern. Row 8 and Row 11had me pulling my hair out...I frogged it at least twice.

I'm making it for my 81 year old Grandmother. Now that's love!!

Your seraphina is gorgeous!

I just started this pattern tonight. I was petrified to start because the pattern IS difficult to understand, but by studying the pictures, its easier to figure out what the designer meant to say.

I've gotten to row 12 and I finally feel comfortable with the pattern. Row 8 and Row 11had me pulling my hair out...I frogged it at least twice.

I'm making it for my 81 year old Grandmother. Now that's love!!

my grandmother is about 82. she is always complaining about how cold she is. well i picked her up the other day and what does she say - "do you know how hot the darn thing is?" ugggg i can't win! good luck with yours - pretty soon you won't need the directions you will just be able ot go at it!

my grandmother is about 82. she is always complaining about how cold she is. well i picked her up the other day and what does she say - "do you know how hot the darn thing is?" ugggg i can't win! good luck with yours - pretty soon you won't need the directions you will just be able ot go at it!

I decided to use Caron Simply Soft. Its not as heavy as homespun or regular red heart. Hopefully she'll like it.

Your grandma sounds like a riot!.

Mine gets funnier and funnier as she gets older...she's a dirty old thing. She was in the hospital last year because of a heart attack. Do you know what she wanted when I came to visit? She wanted me to paint her nails and do her hair because she thought her doctor (in his 40s!) was hot. She figured she could trade in Grandpa for a younger version! :lol

I looked at your pics & they are very nice. I love the green, yellow, pink & white afghan. What pattern did you use for that? I've wanted that pattern for ages.

i enjoyed making my black seraphina so much i wanted to make myself another one. but while i was looking for yarn for it, my grandmother found one that she like so i decided to make this one for her. shhhh its a surprise.

Your shawl is gorgeous! I love the colors. I like your shawl much better than the original one. I know you said you left out some of the ch 1s, but did you also use a smaller hook?

Archived