Lookie what hubby got me!

darncat

I am so excited!!! Hubby got this for my birthday/anniversary present!! I had been bugging him to build me a wheel because I thought I just couldn't afford one. Then I found this one. He told me if I used it, he would make it my gift. Plus it was way easier and faster than building one!

It was $150 3 hours away. With the cost of gas it came up to $195, way less than buying new.

When we got there the lady who was selling it gave me the carders for free!!

th_wheelweb2.jpg th_wheelweb.jpg

clickable

Tricia, she's beautiful!

did the Lazy Kate and carders come with it??? What a buy!!

The lazy kate was included in the sale, when we got there she tossed in the carders for Free!! I was so surprised.

I can't wait to get spinning:D

Tricia,

have you spun on a wheel before?? if not, there are steps I have my students go through to make their first spinning experience a nice one.

I'm sure I've posted them on the board before but if not, just holler and I'll repost!

Hiya,

I haven't ever spun on a wheel before. Any hints, tips or help you can give would be appreciated.

Nice wheel! Great buy! Spinning is one of the most relaxing things I've ever done (once I got the hang of it, that is). I suggest going to your library and checking out and reading up on spinning. That is how I taught myself. I first bought a spindle, and got the hang of that and then bought a wheel. I bought an Ashford Kiwi for about $200 and love it!

I suggest going to your library and checking out and reading up on spinning.

I did that before I bought my wheel to see what I would be getting in to but there are literally 3 books on spinning there. There were more but they have been listed as lost and unless someone requests them, they usally don't reorder. They have tons of knitting tho.

First thing I recommend my spinning student do is go over the wheel and get familiar with the parts and what they do.

go to the Ashford web site http://www.ashford.co.nz/home/home-frameset.htm

Click on 'Help & Advice' at the top (there is a wonderful page on spinning wheel maintenance there)

Down the left side of the page, click on 'Assembly Guides', then on 'Traditional Spinning Wheel Assembly Guide'. You'll get a pdf file http://www.ashford.co.nz/helpandadvice/TDSW.pdf

First thing you're going to do with the wheel is sit in front of it and practice your treadling. You want to achieve a slow turn (clockwise) that keeps the wheel moving. Do not wear shoes so you can feel the treadle go up and down. If you have someone to help you, have them turn the big wheel while your foot just rests on the treadle. Do not treadle yourself, just note how it feels when the treadle reaches the very top. Notice with the footman is and where you should treadle.

Once you can keep it going at a slow rate, stop it using only your foot and treadle the other way (counter clockwise).

Once you're comfortable with controlling the treadling, attach some cheap acrylic yarn to the bobbin and treadle. You'll have to learn to adjust the brake band to get the yarn to pull on to the bobbin. Sometimes it only takes 1/8 turn to get the tension right.

Don't hold on to the yarn, just get use to the feel of the fiber going through your hands.

When you think you're ready to spin, draft out a long piece of roving or fiber. Hold it gently in your hand at least 12" away from the oriface. (one of the most common mistakes that beginners make is holding their hands right close to the oriface! not the most relaxing position!) By pre-drafting, you only have to pay attention to the treadling and the take in, without having to worry about drafting too.

There are many, many ways to draft while spinning. No one is the 'correct' way. You'll find that the fiber will let you know the best way to draft it.

Can't wait to see what you'll create!!

First thing I recommend my spinning student do is go over the wheel and get familiar with the parts and what they do.

go to the Ashford web site http://www.ashford.co.nz/home/home-frameset.htm

Click on 'Help & Advice' at the top (there is a wonderful page on spinning wheel maintenance there)

Down the left side of the page, click on 'Assembly Guides', then on 'Traditional Spinning Wheel Assembly Guide'. You'll get a pdf file http://www.ashford.co.nz/helpandadvice/TDSW.pdf

First thing you're going to do with the wheel is sit in front of it and practice your treadling. You want to achieve a slow turn (clockwise) that keeps the wheel moving. Do not wear shoes so you can feel the treadle go up and down. If you have someone to help you, have them turn the big wheel while your foot just rests on the treadle. Do not treadle yourself, just note how it feels when the treadle reaches the very top. Notice with the footman is and where you should treadle.

Once you can keep it going at a slow rate, stop it using only your foot and treadle the other way (counter clockwise).

Once you're comfortable with controlling the treadling, attach some cheap acrylic yarn to the bobbin and treadle. You'll have to learn to adjust the brake band to get the yarn to pull on to the bobbin. Sometimes it only takes 1/8 turn to get the tension right.

Don't hold on to the yarn, just get use to the feel of the fiber going through your hands.

When you think you're ready to spin, draft out a long piece of roving or fiber. Hold it gently in your hand at least 12" away from the oriface. (one of the most common mistakes that beginners make is holding their hands right close to the oriface! not the most relaxing position!) By pre-drafting, you only have to pay attention to the treadling and the take in, without having to worry about drafting too.

There are many, many ways to draft while spinning. No one is the 'correct' way. You'll find that the fiber will let you know the best way to draft it.

Can't wait to see what you'll create!!

Wow!! Those are some great tips!!! Thank you for the links. I was wondering where to start. :hug:hug

Congrats on the wheel!!! I am sure you will love it. That was a great deal too!!! I know I just love spinning my own wool its very relaxing.

Archived