Need Help Designing Fan Stitch Scarf

LaurieE

Question

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question so Moderators, if it isn't, please move to the appropriate one.

I made this hat and would like to make a matching scarf. I've checked CPC and HQ but didn't find a pattern I could use so I'm trying to "design" one. I would greatly appreciate help in trying to figure this out.

I was thinking of having the main part of the scarf be dc with 6 or 7 rows of fan stitches on each end.

The pattern stitch is the fan stitch with a sc 2 chs away on either side (sc, sk 2 ch, 5 dc in next sc, sk 2 ch, sc). The basic stitch pattern adds up to 7 sts, right? To determine the width of the scarf with the design, I would need a multiple of 7 + 3, right?

I guess I should tell you that I'm using RH Super Saver and a J hook.

7 answers to this question

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question so Moderators, if it isn't, please move to the appropriate one.

I made this hat and would like to make a matching scarf. I've checked CPC and HQ but didn't find a pattern I could use so I'm trying to "design" one. I would greatly appreciate help in trying to figure this out.

I was thinking of having the main part of the scarf be dc with 6 or 7 rows of fan stitches on each end.

The pattern stitch is the fan stitch with a sc 2 chs away on either side (sc, sk 2 ch, 5 dc in next sc, sk 2 ch, sc). The basic stitch pattern adds up to 7 sts, right? To determine the width of the scarf with the design, I would need a multiple of 7 + 3, right?

Technically, it is a multiple of 6 because the 2nd sc along begins the next repeat.

You want a multiple of 6 + 7(+1 for turning) to end with that final sc

Edited to add... if you wanted the whole scarf in this pattern stitch, you could begin at the centre back (neck area and work half the scarf then work from the other side of your original chain sts and work the second half of the scarf to the end.

I understand the +1 for turning. Why +7? Isn't that the amount needed for another fan + turning?

Working from the center is a really great idea! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks, Darski for the idea.

:cheerCan you just make a chain as long as you think you need, then work a Shell Pattern back along as many as makes the width you want the scarf to be.

th_CrochetSamples022.jpg

This is the start of a scarf using a Shell Pattern which looks very similar to the stitch used in the hat you showed the link to.

I have this stitch written out if you would like a copy of it. The shell is 5DC into one stitch with a SC on each side to hold it down.

I have written it so there is only one row repeated, after the foundation row.

PM me if you would like it.

I make a hat using this stitch, with a DC band which rolls up twice to make a nice shaped hat. I usually do the matching scarf in this Shell Pattern.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS, With my pattern, you do not need to do any Math at all.

I understand the +1 for turning. Why +7? Isn't that the amount needed for another fan + turning?

Working from the center is a really great idea! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks, Darski for the idea.

Well no...the plus 7 tidies up the pattern by ending with a sc. the one more stitch is your turning stitch so you can put your sc in the right place.

PS, With my pattern, you do not need to do any Math at all.

but Colleen, some of us like to get it right the first time.

I may be a control freak but I like patterns to be correct. if I do it right, I don't have to mess with undoing and all that silliness. (I am so not into :frog ing anything if I can help it... :sigh

:cheerHere is the Shell Pattern for all of you to try.

It may not be exactly the same as the Hat pattern but would be near enough.

Shell Pattern.

Abbreviations: CH = Chain, SC = Single Crochet, DC = Double Crochet, SK = Skip.

Make a Chain the length you need plus a few. Any left over can be unpicked later.

Foundation Row:

2DC into 4th CH from the hook, *SK 2 CH, 1SC into next CH, SK 2CH, 5DC into next CH.* Repeat to end of the row, but ending last repeat with 1SC into last CH. CH3 turn.

Next:

2DC into SC at the base of the CH, *1SC into centre DC of 5 DC Shell, 5DC into next SC.* Repeat to end of row but doing 1SC into top of turning CH of previous row. CH3 turn.

Repeat this row to the size you want.

This pattern has a half shell at the beginning of each row and a SC at the end of each row.

Please let me know if you have any problems at all.

There is no Copyright attached to this pattern.

Anyone could work it out for themselves.

I just ask that you do not print it off and sell it but feel free to print it off and give it away or use it to make stuff to sell.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived