I'm finally in Ravelry!

I got my invite 10/02/2007 and I really like the site I have joined a lot of groups. I have only posted a few times. It is to me a great place to look at other knitter's and crocheter's work. Find patterns and look at yarn since I have been on Ravelry I have noticed yarn brands I have never heard of before. Some of the groups you can join are great. I joined a book club I have not started reading the books yet I am waiting on a book I think I will like. I joined Ebony Elite great group with interesting conversation and for than yarn and knitting. When I take pictures of my finished projects nice place to show them off and since you can give details about your project on this site it might help some one out who wants to try that pattern. So between paying visits to crochetville and ravelry and my blogs I don't get in much knitting or crochet time. :) oh I am 43 and I don't think I am to old for the site.

I do find myself wondering why Ravelry can be promoted here as well. New guidelines were passed that forbid anyone to try to draw people away from the Ville here at the Ville.

did that get changed after all?

I was surprised it was so quick, seemed like only a few weeks. Trouble is, now there is masses more information to read and absorb and many more wonderful pictures of projects to drool over. No wonder I can never decide what to make next, or have the time to crochet. Well, we'll never be bored ! Zaraliz

Only 7092 more people ahead of me! I am getting somewhere finally. Be my calculations that means about 12 more days until I get an invite. I am really looking forward to the organization side of things...I can never remember what hooks I have so this will be a nice quick reference when I need it.

Sara

I've still got about 600 in front of me, so I'm hoping tomorrow morning when I wake up I'll have my invite. If it doesn't happen tonight, it will be there tomorrow when I get home from work.

From the screenshots I've seen, its a nice place. The only way more crochetters are going to be there is if more join there.

I would never leave the Ville, but I agree that Ravelry would be a good tool.

The nice thing is, we don't have to choose either Ravelry or the Ville--we can have both. Each serves an entirely different purpose.

I've withheld judgment on Ravelry so far, and finally today I finally signed up for a Flickr account and put some projects up. Now that I'm learning and understanding how Ravelry works and how to do things, I really like it! I'm sure it will only get better.

I agree with you Kiirs....we don't have to choose between here and Ravelry....I don't even visit the message boards over there. I use Ravelry mostly to look up a pattern I am thinking of doing and see what everyone else's looks like and what yarn they used. I know I can't always afford the yarn that patterns suggest, so it's great that we now have a place to go and see what other yarns people have substituted and had work for certain patterns.

I have posted a few finished items and some of my books....but I will probably not post a yarn stash. I do think I will eventualy post my needles and hooks. It lets you print out a card that shows you what you have so you can carry it with you.

As far as people thinking Ravelry is only attractive to the younger set....I'm 44 and I just don't get that line of thinking.....I haven't and won't share every cell of my being to the rest of the world. Ravelry is a great new way to share our love of crochet with a lot of others that think crochet is a "lesser" craft. Get your butts over there and sign up....post your finished projects....show them how beautiful crochet can be!!!!

(I am now stepping off my soapbox.....)

.post your finished projects....show them how beautiful crochet can be!!!!

That was the deciding factor for me actually. I have photobucket and I cannot get an account at Flickr... it just will not process. it was a waste of time.

I did leave to make room for at least one more person in line.

I, too, have just signed up for ravelry....Not sure what to think of it just yet, need to really get in there and check it out.I am looking forward to getting my invitation. But I was wondering about how much crocheting is there at this site? And is there any rivelry at ravelry between crocheters and knitters????

I have 9,860 in front of me in line. Do you think that'll take about a week before I get my invitation? I'm really looking forward to see the things people are making and maybe finding some new patterns I haven't seen before.

I have 9,860 in front of me in line. Do you think that'll take about a week before I get my invitation? I'm really looking forward to see the things people are making and maybe finding some new patterns I haven't seen before.

As of this morning, I have 5893 people in front of me and I think I still have about 10 days to wait based on a 9 day average of the number of people they admit each day. I got in line about 10 days ago and had 11,328 people ahead of me at the time. Based on the daily average that I have been calculating, they admit somewhere around 600 people each day which means that you have approximately 16 days left to wait.

(Can you tell I am a completely anal engineer?)

Sara

Hi Ladycrochet, I got my invite the first week in October and so far I don't think there is any Rivalry. I think people just want to show off their projects and look at other peoples projects. It is easy to upload you pictures and you can put in all the details on how much yarn you used the color and type of yarn you used. So far I have not read one bad comment about crochet. Lots of the people both knit and crochet. I hope your invite comes soon.

As others have said, the two sites are worlds apart. I like the ability to post pics of WIPs and FOs and provide details. There has been no rivalry, and the profile lets you enter how long you've crocheted and/or knitted, and it seems the majority do both. I don't go often. The message boards aren't used much that I can tell. But this 42 yr old finds it something "different" to do when I want to just browse.

Archived