I'm finally in Ravelry!

I finally checked my email earlier this evening and there it was...my invite to Ravelry...from two days ago. :clap:cheer

Now I'm off to explore but I'll be back. After all, this is home. :hook

Oh, my name on there is Mom2PBJ. If I could change my name in here without losing everything I have, I would. Because I'm not a Gypsy anymore but still a Lady. :)

Update: Oh look...I was able to change my name! :cheer

I just found out about Ravelry a few weeks ago, Like I mentioned in another thread, I was on a long hiatus from crochet, including this site and other places that I would have learned about it on. I don't even remember where I finally did hear about it, probably from one of the yarny podcasts I subscribed to recently.

And I KNOW I won't be able to use the same name there.

I can't wait. but I'll have to. I'm still 11000 or so in line. plenty of time to think of a good new screen name lol. I'm jealous, so congrats to those of you who are in!!!

It doesn't take long. There were 18,000 ahead of me when I signed up, and it took less than a month. You'll be in before you know it! :)

I finally checked my email earlier this evening and there it was...my invite to Ravelry...from two days ago. :clap:cheer

Now I'm off to explore but I'll be back. After all, this is home. :hook

Oh, my name on there is Mom2PBJ. If I could change my name in here without losing everything I have, I would. Because I'm not a Gypsy anymore but still a Lady. :)

I believe you can change your username here at C'ville without losing a thing. See here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58

i got my invite a couple of weeks ago as well! I haven't had a chance to put too much information in there, or my stash or anything, but I can't wait to get it all up and in there! It looks like a great site, but Crochetville is still Number 1 for me!

I wish more crocheters were on ravelry. I use it as a tool... looking up yarns and patterns and seeing what others are doing with them. Eventually, I'll put my goods up too. It has great potential to win my heart. :heart I don't think crochetville's under any threat, though. I'm mostly just a lurker, but it fills a different niche than ravelry. YAY CROCHET!

I have a theory that younger people are accustomed to living their lives in public. places like blogsites, Myspace and Facebook encourage everyone to share everything they do or have. I admit I don't see the attraction of this. My list of yarn could be useful if you are an insomniac perhaps but has little redeeming social value besides that.

I just don't get the Ravelry fascination. I joined to see what it was about but I haven't been there in at least 2 weeks as I find it hard to navigate and not exactly exciting or even interesting.

Maybe I should resign and make a spot for someone else as it just wastes a spot in my bookmarks...hmmmnn

I really wish I could understand this... it is just meaningless to me.

I have a theory that younger people are accustomed to living their lives in public. places like blogsites, Myspace and Facebook encourage everyone to share everything they do or have. I admit I don't see the attraction of this. My list of yarn could be useful if you are an insomniac perhaps but has little redeeming social value besides that.

I just don't get the Ravelry fascination. I joined to see what it was about but I haven't been there in at least 2 weeks as I find it hard to navigate and not exactly exciting or even interesting.

Maybe I should resign and make a spot for someone else as it just wastes a spot in my bookmarks...hmmmnn

Ouch. I'm still a newbie and full of wonder. Looking up yarn and patterns and seeing how more established crocheters make use of them is genuinely exciting to me. I love seeing others' finished projects in order to see how different yarns look after being put to use, as I don't have the benefit of years of experience. I also like having a place to store photos of what I do, to sort of monitor my own progress. I'm sure ravelry isn't for everyone, but that doesn't make it a bad thing.

P.S. Sorry for feeling defensive. That part was dumb.

Ouch. I'm still a newbie and full of wonder. Looking up yarn and patterns and seeing how more established crocheters make use of them is genuinely exciting to me. I love seeing others' finished projects in order to see how different yarns look after being put to use, as I don't have the benefit of years of experience. I also like having a place to store photos of what I do, to sort of monitor my own progress. I'm sure ravelry isn't for everyone, but that doesn't make it a bad thing.

P.S. Sorry for feeling defensive. That part was dumb.

oh no that isn't my intention. I did ask them to remove me as it just is not for me. I know lots of people like that sort of thing so I say have at it.

it just isn't my thing is all.

Since my first couple of times I haven't spent too much time on Ravelry. Frankly, I find it a bit overwhelming and not terribly user-friendly for me. I too think that it may be much more fascinating for the younger set. I've joined some of the groups, but haven't really visited since then. It just feels more comfortable to me here at Crochetville.

I am with you darski, 100%. I don't get the fascination at all. If I want a pattern I look on the internet or ask here. I don't need to have a list of what yarn I have in my stash. I don't want to get a flickr site for pics, I already have a photobucket site. Maybe I am too old for Raverly.

Sorry that a few people are let down once you got in Ravelry. I'm not young at all (47) but I am enjoying it a lot!

Someone said it so well, that it is a good "tool". I like seeing the multitude of projects in one place & seeing a specific pattern in multiple yarn choices, colors etc. At the flick of the mouse I can see tons of different bags in one spot without many words...just pics & patterns of bags, bags & more bags! :cheer Just one example why I like it.

I don't care much for the yarn stash pics...I think that is probably more fun when you have a lot of hand painted yarn or your spin your own yarn etc & want to show off what you have. I haven't uploaded any yarn pics & I rarely look at the yarn stashes unless I want to see what colors a certain yarn comes in, which does have it's benefit.

I joined some groups but have not posted much. Crochetville is better for chatting about crochet, just my personal opinion. One advantage I see too is putting crocheters & knitters in the same place. :lol I think Ravelry may help in bridging the creative gap between them & help both groups understand that one craft is not better than another. Also a good spot for those who knit & crochet. I can barely knit but Ravelry is making me want to learn more about knitting & I think maybe seeing that crochet is not just doily's & granny squares will entice some knitters to try crochet.:D

Archived