Yarn for bath puff?

MadCityCrochet

I found a pattern for a bath puff that I want to make for a Christmas gift, however, it calls for worsted weight cotton and I think that might take a long time to dry. What do you think? Would another type of yarn dry faster/better? :think I know cotton works well for dish clothes, but they aren't as "dense" as the bath puff looks.

TIA!

Sara

I found that these do not soap up very well. So now I just use the mesh puffies as they hold the soap well. You can always add some mesh to the cotton but I did that and didn't like it very much - again, didn't retain the soap :cheer

OK, I am giving up on the bath puff idea....The same place I found that pattern also had one for a back scrubber. Basically a linked chain of crocheted donuts with handles on the ends. Probably not something that would be used every day so it should have longer to dry if made out of cotton. Thoughts on making that instead?

I am trying to make a bunch of dish cloth/pot holder sets for Christmas gifts, but one of the friends who was going to get one of these sets informed me last weekend that she does NOT use dish clothes as they get so germy so fast. So, I am trying to come up with something else....any ideas? I already bought a ton of worsted cotton so was hoping to use that instead of having to buy more yarn.

TIA!

Sara

how about making reusable swiffer pads? i have a ton of cotton yarn and i'm going to make them for xmas gifts.

i'm going to make one for myself first to see how it works though. but i think it would work fine. i like how they can be washed. i hate throwing away my swiffer pads. just adds to our already overcrowded garbage dumps!

you can google for some patterns or here is one too:

http://www.christinascrochethaven.com/mop_pad_refill_for_swiffer_wet_j.htm

how about making reusable swiffer pads? i have a ton of cotton yarn and i'm going to make them for xmas gifts.

i'm going to make one for myself first to see how it works though. but i think it would work fine. i like how they can be washed. i hate throwing away my swiffer pads. just adds to our already overcrowded garbage dumps!

you can google for some patterns or here is one too:

http://www.christinascrochethaven.com/mop_pad_refill_for_swiffer_wet_j.htm

Awesome idea! I found a great pattern HERE. Really like this and will definitely be making one for myself. I HATE the fact that the pads are so expensive and the box is so big! If I make a bunch of them then I can wash them all at once....now we're talking!

Sara

What about crocheting them with strips of nylon net? I make dish scrubbies with it and it works great. Just cut it into 1" wide strips, tie strips together with a square knot and ball it. It takes a while to get used to crocheting with it but it will come if you just keep after it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a spa assortment for gifts and have had some good results with them... I even made my son some face scrubies......

What I like about the back scrubber is that after a few times of being used you through it in the wash with your towels. Same things with the dishrags.

I also am making little crocheted basket with home made bath salts and soap.... :yes

Have fun.....

OK, I am giving up on the bath puff idea....The same place I found that pattern also had one for a back scrubber. Basically a linked chain of crocheted donuts with handles on the ends. Probably not something that would be used every day so it should have longer to dry if made out of cotton. Thoughts on making that instead?

I am trying to make a bunch of dish cloth/pot holder sets for Christmas gifts, but one of the friends who was going to get one of these sets informed me last weekend that she does NOT use dish clothes as they get so germy so fast. So, I am trying to come up with something else....any ideas? I already bought a ton of worsted cotton so was hoping to use that instead of having to buy more yarn.

TIA!

Sara

I made one with acrylic worsted weight yarn in aran color to boot. Its held up so well!!! It holds the soap well, dries faster than the cotton without smelling, its easy to wash over and over again in washer, it lathers well with a little expholiation without being too scratchie. I've had mine for 2 years now and it looks great. I was just digging up this pattern again to make another in a different color. I've also made a bunch as gifts.

This is the pattern I used

Spiral Scrubbie

http://crochetpatternsonly.blogspot.com/2005/05/spiral-scrubbie-translation-by-judith.html

Hope this helps

I have used cotton for coasters and for table runners. You could also make a little soap bag to collect all the ends of soaps that are left. I use cotton for wash cloths. They are prettier than the store bought ones and nice to give as a gift with a bar of soap. Also fun to make as they are quick and you can practice different stitches.

I don't use dish cloths either, I prefer to wash my dishes with a brush! but I have used cotton to make a couple dish towels.

I know that Crochet pattern central

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php

has lots of bath crochet and kitchen crochet patterns!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I too just finished making that loofah out of cotton.Didn't know there would be problems .. I found this pattern through a friend of mine who made it with regular acrylic yarn and she says it worked well. I haven't made one myself yet but hers looks pretty nice.I would like to try it after the holidays.so if you make it let me know how it worked out for you.

Cotton body scrubber

• 10 years later...

Archived