Working Vertical or Horizanital?

How to you make your scarves?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How to you make your scarves?

• Work Vertical (Chain till desired width then work on lenght)
    • Work Horizantal (Chain a million, turn, chain a million more)

My sister wants me to make her a long black scarf. I am thinking of working it vertical (chain till desired width then go out working on the lenght).

I am just curious what way to you work when you make a scarf? Vertical (chain the till desired width) or horizantial (chain a million, turn, chain a million more, turn, till desired width).

I'm afraid the reason I work horizontal is because I'm not much good at counting and horizontal work the edges are covered by the fringe. though some stitches the only way to work is vertical. I aviod those!

I like to make scarves horizontal, because I like the pattern to be lengthwise, particularly if I am doing stripes or using a self-striping yarn.

Having said that, I just finished a scarf that I did vertical, and to me, it just seemed to go on and on and on until it was finished.

Joan

Just for the sake of clarity... can we say what is Working Vertically and what is Working Horizontally?

...for me to work vertically is to work over a few stitches for many rows.

To work horizontally is to work over many stitches for a few rows.

Do we agree on this? Just checking is all :rofl

I work horizontally, since, as with JBC, to me the work just seems to go and on and on, infinitum, and making all of those turns really gets me down after awhile, if I crochet vertically!:manyheart

I'm not voting because I make them both ways. I do a great horizontal BL scarf that is ribbed and looks very masculine. Depends on who's receiving the scarf. Patty

Ditto.

I love to make them lengthwise, and work in the back loops to make it ribbed.

But... I also do them width-wise. I totally depends on what look you want! :)

Archived