Anyone want to help with a comfortghan?

Ambersafghans

Hello everyone.

I have met (online) A family who seems to be going through an awful lot right now. The Mother is in the hospital dieing from Breast Cancer. There are other things going on that I don't feel at liberty to discuse.

But I was thinking that a comfortghan or two might give them a lift. :hug I was thinking one for the mother, and then maybe one for the 17 year old daughter.

I hesitated to post this, because I don't know if she will be willing to give me her address. But if she doesn't we could always send them to someone else in need.

Anyone want to help? If enough people volunteer then I'll go on to yarn type, color and pattern.

Prayers would also be appreciated. The family name is Norten.

Thanks!

Amber

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How very sad. It is tragic to lose a loved one at any age. Just let me know what type, size and color you want and I will shift my projects around and make this priority one.

Count me in for some squares. I think they should be pink....pink is the color of the Cure For Her cancer ribbon. At least for the mother anyways. Just post the requirements and I'll get busy.

Thank you all for responding.

I think what I might do is email the gal and tell her we would like to make a comfortghan for the family and ask what colors she would like. Because, I have no guarenty of getting her address and I think it's only reasonable to tell her why I want it. And also, with her mother just passing from cancer I would want to check on the pink. I don't think there shoud be a problem using it, but just want to make sure. Anyone opposed to this? Let me know. Thanks so much for your responses! :hug

Amber

What about this one?

DSC03078c.jpg"]

DSC03078c.jpg

I just tried that one and it took me just under two hours even with five million kid-sized interruptions (I know not easy to see w/ the variegated - I just grabbed the skein that was on top - the pic on the pattern page is much clearer). It strikes a nice "simple but not boring" balance.

There are quite a few pretty ones on the site Andrea directed you to, the dreamcatcher one is nice and looks like it would be pretty easy to work up.

Editing to add that I did a second one and it only took an hour - amazing how much time those interruptions take! Pics on my blog - I did a solid color this time so you can really see the pattern.

That is a pretty one Faith, I also like the dream catcher square. Amber, could you find out any personal favorites of the family or the mother to make it more special (ie favorite color, or flower).? This is going to be great.I can't wait to start.

:manyheart

You could pick a size the square should be, like 7 in or 12 in, and then let everyone pick their own sq, that way you get a variety...just a suggestion ;) That is what we do at Heartmade Blessings anyway. There is one size for squares and that way a person could also be a beginner, and still help out. :)

By the way, it is wonderful what you are doing.

Why don't you pick a size the square should be, like 7 in or 12 in, and then let everyone pick their own sq, that way you get a variety...

That's what I've typically seen done, too. Whatever you decide though, Amber, I'm interested in joining if you need more people.

I'd be interested, I have some pink worsted weight around here that I'm not doing anything with and can work nearly any pattern you can come up with or just give me a size and I'll have some ready.

Just say when and where to send them :hook

:frog

You could pick a size the square should be, like 7 in or 12 in, and then let everyone pick their own sq, that way you get a variety...just a suggestion ;) There is one size for squares and that way a person could also be a beginner, and still help out. :)

By the way, it is wonderful what you are doing.

I agree, I think it makes a nicer afghan with many different squares. Thats what they did for Jordan's comfortghan. Everybody made the same size square but in different patterns.

Barbara

Well I talked with Makenzie (17 year old daughter) Last night and mentioned that there were some gals that wanted to make a comfortghan for her family. She was really touched. She will talk it over with her Dad and let me know that it's alright. I sent her somelinks to different squares. (There are so many pretty ones!) I told her that if she didn't have any specific ones she wanted it made out of then we could make it a surprise.

So I'll let you know what she says.

So far I know that her Mom's favorite color was Yellow and her's is Forest Green.

Amber

Hello Amber,

I think it's great that you want to help this family. I too, lost my mother to cancer when I was a young teenager. Let me tell you how much it would've meant to me if someone had done that for my family. I would love to help make a couple of squares. Just let me know the details when you're ready!

Archived