how do you pronounce skein  

279 members have voted

1. 1. how do you pronounce skein

• sk-INE
    • sk-EEN

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok ladies (and gentlemen)... i've been wondering.

do you guys say

skINE.......or.........skEEN?

i've got a little german background, so i took german in high school. and i've always said skein with an "eye" sound, because in german, ei=I and ie=E.

but i was wandering though the yarn section of jo-ann the other day, and i heard this woman saying she would need about 4 skeens. i just thought it sounded a little funny.

so how do you pronounce skein, and perhaps why?

lol well maybe it might be a german thing. I'm 1/2 german and I say it the same way you do:yes

the way I say it rhymes with vein. I pronounce it like my mom

That's the way I've heard it's supposed to be pronounced. I used to say "skeen" until someone corrected me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

skein?

i say, "skANE"

i've not heard it any other way. that's how mom, my grandmother, my aunts, etc. pronounce the word. but i am not around crafters much now and then again, it isn't something that non-crafter's banter about!

grins, debra

I just looked it up in the OED. It came from an older English word "skeyne" and doesn't appear to be German. "Skeyne" in British Englist would almost be a cross between the 2 pronounciations of skane and skine.

Another definition of this pronounciation is, as someone mentioned:

b. A flight of wild fowl.

Some other defn's in the OED that do have Germanic origins:

1. A split of osier after being dressed for use in fine basket-work.

2. U.S. A metal head or thimble protecting the spindle of a wooden axle.

These are said to be cognates with "SHIN" (thin narrow piece) -- does that mean kind of sharing the same ancestor?

I say SKANE. But that is weird really, because the word doesn't really fit the rules of spelling. It must have a root word from another language. The Germans pronounce the secon vowel, so they would say SKINE, so it must not be a german word. I would be interesting to know its origin.

Archived