How about a challenge?

Okay, I admit it...I am a craft buying junkie. :blush I am currently in yarn buying mode and my stash is getting overwhelming. Anyone else? I was thinking maybe we could start on May 1 and not buy any new yarn for the month. This way we have to tap our stashes, and maybe be a little more creative in using it up.

Anyone game?:cheer

(I hope it's okay to post a challenge - if not - feel free to delete.)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's a fabulous idea. I've got piles of yarn, totally mismatched, unorganized and taking up space in my closet. At the very least I could make a LOT of small things to donate to hospitals! So I'm in! Of course, now we need a catchy motto and a cool button! ;)

:book Raquel

I was thinking maybe we could start on May 1 and not buy any new yarn for the month. This way we have to tap our stashes, and maybe be a little more creative in using it up.

I'm doing this currently -- because I'm going to MD S+W at the beginning of May. I wanted to curb stash enhancement until then, since I know I will be picking up a ton of stuff there.

It's been a little fun, and I've allowed myself to pick up a few things -- yarn to fix something or finish a project, but not anything else. I think I am going to try it again after MD S+W.

I heartily endorse this stash-busting! ;) I just can't do it in May. :)

Cheryl, my hubby would love it if I didn't buy any yarn for a month! He would be so grateful. Gee, wonder if I could do it, tho??? I mean, a month? 30/31 days? Mmmmm....when's my vacation?? I could do it in July. Would be sitting in the Keys for a month. No place to buy yarn there except the internet....or could drive 2 hrs to Florida City to the SuperWally store. May....no one's coming down....ain't going no where that I know of yet. OK...I'm in. No yarn for the month of May. Got it. Writing it down. Memorizing it. (Is May over yet?)

Sweatin' bullets here,

Cheryl (it's me, too!)

I'm game, too. I just bought 9 skeins (funny story about that) yesterday for a new project, and maybe I can FINALLY get my baby blanket done. I can work with my stash for a month. (probably...I mean, I'll try...and I guess when I cheat, I'll have to tell on myself, huh?)

Sounds like a great idea, but I don't know if I could manage it. Mostly, I'm buying sweaters to frog, and I have to get them while the getting's good. Would it count against me if I just put them away and don't frog them? After all, they'll still be sweaters. :devil

I....I can't do it...I just can't....the thought makes me...well...:faint ...

There is no way. I am not strong enough.

:nworthy to all you who suceed!!!!!

It is a nice idea though, DH would love it.

Sounds good to me! I keep telling myself (and my bf) I'm not going to get more yarn unless is the specialty yarn and only from the thrift store (since is way cheap) but I always end up getting acrylic yarn in very cute colors... :blush

So this time I'll really try! ;) Besides, it's a good oportunity to catch up on all the projects I've been 'planning' to start on :clap

Lily:knit

I just have to make an update on my earlier post. Today my new furniture came for my craft room. So I've been busy sorting laundry hampers (that's where I keep the majority of my stash) and putting it on my new shelves. At first it was coming along so nicely.....very organized. Whites on one shelf, blues on another, reds on another, fun furs on another, big skeins on another, etc.....not only have I run out of shelves, but the ones that are there are packed full. The drawers are packed with threads, ribbons, hooks/needles, UFOs, etc. I have my own LYS right here in my own home!!! Once I am done, I will take pictures so you can see my LYS. It's amazing. I never knew I had even half the stash I do. It is truly unbelievable. I could supply Michaels and probably have a better selection than they do. I am so serious. When I told my hubby on the phone, he just laughed and said the dreaded words I hate to hear "I told you so!". I am so in on this 'NO MORE YARN! thing for the next several months at least! :rofl

Me too! I'm in! I need to save up for my trip back to the states. I can easily get by on my current stash until then. I'm sure this means I will just go and stock up on 30 April, but whatever!! :lol

Jess mentioned "happy stash busting" so I say we call it:

Stash-busters!

May 2005 :tup

Happy De-stashing ladies!

Bec :hook

I am up for this as well.

Right now (not including all the free yarn I recieved from freecycle) I have so much yarn to use up. My own stash is getting to be quite overwhelming. I haven't bought any new yarn since I purchased some Redheart for some ponchos I am making..... 12 skeins!

So for all of May the poor yarns stores will think there has been a strike! LOL! Oh well, it will give my bank account a rest.

If May is going to be No Yarn Buying Month, then June should be True Confessions Month. It will be interesting to see how many who take the pledge actually stick to it.

I confess right now that I take the pledge with my fingers crossed behind my back. :2blush

If May is going to be No Yarn Buying Month, then June should be True Confessions Month. It will be interesting to see how many who take the pledge actually stick to it.

I confess right now that I take the pledge with my fingers crossed behind my back. :2blush

ROTFLMBO! That has to be the funniest post. *true* lol!

Good for you, Deneen! I've been wanting to quit too, so we could be support for one another! If you want, that is.

ok, i'm in. I probably don't have as much yarn as a lot of you, but I still have enought for many projects. I will probably stash:goodorbad just a little more between now & then. :eek But then "I solomnly promise not to buy any yarn in the month of May" Where is the button! We have to have a button to go with our slogan.

ummmm errrrrrrrrrr hmmmmmmmmmm (I was thinking maybe we could start on May 1 and not buy any new yarn for the month.) Well, I seldom actually buy yarn at the stores. Soooooooooooo, if I continue to buy yarn at gararge sales etc., that is OK right??? Cuz it is NO longer new yarn!!! (You buy a new vehicle, once you drive it off the lot, its no longer new!) YUP, works for me. LOL

So for all of May the poor yarns stores will think there has been a strike! LOL! Oh well, it will give my bank account a rest.

I don't know about the bank account bit -- this month+ while I've been trying not to buy any fiber, I have spent a LOT on crochet/knit magazines, books, hooks/needles/tatting shuttles/etc.

My head, "it's not yarn, it's okay!"

I did that with a couple of balls of Cebelia, too. :blush

My head, "it's not yarn, it's thread!"

However I've been pretty good about not buying yarn (except to finish a project).

shocked.gif

:think Am I in the wrong forum? First a post to ask us to stop posting, NOW a post to ask us to stop adding to our stash!

sob.gif I want MY C'VILLE BACK!

;)

Archived