Thirty years old and still looking good!!! (Men's Vest)

Aggie May

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit, I was a skeptic at first, but WOW, that vest is beautiful! You must have used some top quality yarns for it to have held up this long. Amazingly, it doesn't look "dated" either. It looks like something you would find in a Ralph Lauren catalog! Of course, we can't discount your crocheting abilities, which appear to be advanced. I hope your husband realizes what treasure(s) he has (you AND the vest!). Thanks for sharing, I am inspired to create my own "masterpiece." :)

:cheer Thanks for the compliments Luvtocro.

The yarn was the absolute cheapest I could buy at the time but it is 100% Pure Wool.

NZ is the place with 4 million people and 40 million :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump so we did produce good yarns for not much money in the good old days.

At the time, I was crocheting Shawls, Vests and Ponchos and going to all the Craft Shows I could find so I needed to keep my costs down.

At one time, I even used Carpet yarn for some items and that was very hard wearing and very economical.

Eventually, I decided to buy the local wool shop and then began knitting for my customers, even earned to use a knitting machine and churned out lots and lots of knitting.

When my mum had a stroke in 1994, I decided to sell the shop and look after her, then the kids all got married in 1994 and 1995 and the 7 Grandies started to come along.

I hate to admit that I did not make much for the Grandies because Polar Fleece came along and it was warm and easy to wash so I didnt bother to make more than one item for each child. Some of these things have eventually done the rounds of the kids and are possibly still going strong somewhere.

Now, I just make hats and scarves and afghans and either sell it really cheaply, to defray my yarn cost, or I give it to Hospice etc.

My mum is 91 now and lives in a Resthome now so I get lots of stuff done while sitting with her.

I think I might need to frame the vest because it will not fit me either if it does not fit my husband.

If I can make up a pattern, so can anyone.

My advantage is, I have had 50 squillion years practice but, remember, I did make the vest when I was about 35 so had not had so much experience then.

It really was not soo hard to do.

Give it a go.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Colleen, you must have been an expert crocheter right from the start. No wonder you are so knowledgeable and able to help us all out here on the 'Ville! Your hubby's vest is really classy. I notice that Aran sweater vests are very much back in style for men so perhaps hubby will wear it again now. It's really beautiful.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived