Someone selling others patterns- Do they belong to any Cville members??

I know for a fact that the Christmas carolers is out of a leaftlet. I own it. Here is one like it for sale on ebay. The Friendly witch pattern is out of a booklet too. I'm at work so I can't tell you which one...but I own that too. I would think that this would be a copyright infringement since she is selling multiple copies of a pattern...not the original.

Yes, the Christmas Carolers is definitely out of a leaflet, because my late mother crocheted those carolers 25 years ago. The first link I clicked on said "I Am Error", and I don't know what that was, but that scene is directly from the "Legend of Zelda - Link's Adventure" Nintendo game.

As a matter of fact, I'd like to find another one of those Christmas caroler leaflets to purchase. We lost the carolers that my mom made in a flood, and I'd love to make another set to replace them. It won't be the same as having a set made by her, but the memories will be there when we set them out to celebrate the holidays.

Elle

Not exactly sure where it is from but I think I have the pattern for the zebra hand puppet. I think it is from quick and easy crochet. ( I had a subscription in the 90's for about 3 years, so not sure which issue). I think I have seen that pattern offered as a freebie too though. The nerve of people these days.

I heard back from Leisure Arts. They are getting the information to the right department that deals with copyright infringement. They will investigate. They thanked all of us for letting them know.

I've seen the zebra before. I think it's from one of the older magazines I have.

I am just wondering but Aren't some of the others there attributed to Grandmas Hookery there from someone elses publications? Shouldn't the owner have checked them out.

My stuff

http://www.picturetrail.com/sallyann

The horse and unicorn pattern is my Clop and Ali pattern which appeared in Crochet World in 2004. Allfreecrafts has it up illegally. The copyright belongs to Crochet World. This is theft on both parties' parts.

Forgive me, but I don't know that much about etsy yet. Are you only allowed to sell patterns you have personally made or can a 'vendor' sell leaflets and books there? Can you sell already made items as well?

Thanks to the internet copyright infringement runs rampant!

Recently I saw a blogger ranting about the Molly Weasley crochet sleeves designs that are being sold on the web. She didn't *understand* why anyone would sell a patter that isn't theirs and isn't that a form of copyright infringement? The poster went on to say that she was going to reproduce the sleeve pattern and give it away for free at her site!

I thought goody for you! I would imagine though that if she actually took the time to sit and figure it out, test it, fix errors, test it again she'd probably change her tune big time. Designers who give patterns for free are great but they have every right to sell their product no matter if that product was inspired from an outside source.

Sadly, the blogger made that post in 2006 and has yet to follow up on it...I guess it was harder than she realized!

:yes

On Etsy, with something you email multiples of or make a PDF to email needs to be your own pattern.

However, people do sell originals of vintage patterns. After a certain point, (not sure what it is) it is permissible to reprint out-of-print, and very vintage patterns. Something around 25-30 years IF the original copyright holder hasn't reprinted in that time. And mileage varies from country to country, and depending on the item.

"Happy Birthday" (the song) is still under copyright. That's why they can't sing it in restaurants anymore... someone got sued. But I'm not exactly clear on why that particular song isn't "public domain".

I can`t beleive how cheeky some people are. Don`t they know us mad addicted crocheters surf the net all day looking for free patterns then look up ones we can buy? Or is it just me who browses crochet pattern sites and then remembers that I am supposed to be crocheting lol. xxx

No dear, you are not alone!

And since I have found this group, I have spent waaay to much time online.

I find it depolorabe that one would pass off someone else's design as their own. There should be a law against it...oh, wait, there is!

Forgive me, but I don't know that much about etsy yet. Are you only allowed to sell patterns you have personally made or can a 'vendor' sell leaflets and books there? Can you sell already made items as well?

:yes

You can sell commercial leaflets as supplies. You cannot reproduce them and sell them. You can sell readymade item as well. Those must be original designs or you must have permission from the designer to reproduce their designs for commercial purposes.

Archived