birdlady1

Stealing Patterns Posted on Crochetville

Darski has had this problem as I'm sure others have as well. I imagine that one does not have to be a member of C'ville in order to download patterns that people have graciously shared.

Can we change that? Can patterns be placed in a subforum where someone must be a member before downloading patterns? In that way, if these patterns show up on eBay or elsewhere, *maybe* it can be traced (even if that member has joined just to steal patterns)?

That's a very good suggestion. I'm sure the settings could be changed easily. It would similar to the Swaps folder. New members can't see that until they meet village requirements.

The only problem I can see are links on other sites (i.e. Crochet Pattern Central) to the pattern post. Although I've hit on a few links that told me I didn't have proper authorization so I'm sure another setting would need to be changed.

I'd be all for that. It's hard enough creating and sharing these works of art without having someone steal from you and making a profit off it besides! I know most 'ville-ers are honest people, but it just kills when there are some who aren't...or people who register for the sake of theivery. Ruins it for everyone. All this theft of patterns, and people will stop sharing them! (I know I'd stop if it keeps up...though I haven't shared nearly as many as others on here)

Memebership here is free and I cant see why someone would not be willing to join even if it is just to get a free pattern in the begining. I must confess that is how i found Crochetville..I was looking for a pattern for small pig and found Kristie's. I looked around and got really excited about finding others who loved to crochet as much as me and have been active here ever since. I think that is a great idea.

Thanks for the suggestion, everyone! Donna and I are most definitely in favor of taking steps necessary to help make sure the patterns our members so generously post here are not used by others without permission.

At this point in time, the sections with the pattern links and pattern posts can indeed be accessed by anyone, not just registered members. However, I don't think changing things so only registered members could access patterns would really change anything.

For one thing, membership here at Crochetville is free, so there's no deterrent to keep someone who really wanted to take patterns from registering a free account. Next, there really isn't any actual "downloading" involved to the patterns here. The patterns that are actually posted here are just typed into the post. All somebody has to do to get the pattern is to "cut and paste" it from their browser into a document file. We don't have any way to trace who copies and pastes information from threads, even with registered members. Even then, information on who copied and pasted would not be very useful in identifying someone who was selling a pattern on eBay, for example. Because eBay will not release any of that person's private information to us.

Right now, I can't see that limiting pattern access to registered members would really accomplish anything to help reduce the risk of patterns being misused by others. If you think otherwise, please let me know why you disagree with me. :)

My thoughts have always been that most of the board shouldn't be open to lurkers, like the General Chat isn't. I'm very very uncomfortable with posting photos of my daughter for just anybody to see and take. That's why I stopped. I think at least Free Patterns and Show & Tell should be for members only.

Just my opinion.

My thoughts have always been that most of the board shouldn't be open to lurkers, like the General Chat isn't. I'm very very uncomfortable with posting photos of my daughter for just anybody to see and take. That's why I stopped. I think at least Free Patterns and Show & Tell should be for members only.

Just my opinion.

Yes, but very often, it's the stuff that people see in Show-and-Tell that really gives them the push to register an account and begin participating with us.

Donna and I believe very strongly that most areas of Crochetville should be open to everyone, except those places in which some limits are very obviously beneficial. (Like swaps and other places involving exchange of personal information or financial transactions.)

I actually agree with those who are leery of posting pictures of their children in the show-and-tell folders. If you still want to post pictures of your children wearing your creations, just use a graphics program to blur out the face of the child as well as any identifying information in the background of the photo (street signs, etc.).

Right now, I can't see that limiting pattern access to registered members would really accomplish anything to help reduce the risk of patterns being misused by others. If you think otherwise, please let me know why you disagree with me. :)

I'm not disagreeing, Amy!:tryme:P But let's talk about this a little more. When someone registers, are they required to give information as to where they live? At least city and state? (It's been so long since I first registered!) That information could be compared to that on the auction (maybe it'll even match!) that's stolen and maybe that could be a start to track down the thief.

There's got to be a way to make it less accessible (or should I say harder to access?) If a pattern is harder to access, it might discourage a potential thief.

I just want to add in that I have a Yahoo group for my patterns and anyone can join that. there is nothing to say that they were "taken" from here.

I also don't see that you can do too much to control this and still be crochetville.

Yah know what, I am here because of the Fluffy Pink Shrug pattern. how many others are here for the same reason - a pattern drew them and the Ville snared 'em :wlol

I'm not disagreeing, Amy!:tryme:P But let's talk about this a little more. When someone registers, are they required to give information as to where they live? At least city and state? (It's been so long since I first registered!) That information could be compared to that on the auction (maybe it'll even match!) that's stolen and maybe that could be a start to track down the thief.

There's got to be a way to make it less accessible (or should I say harder to access?) If a pattern is harder to access, it might discourage a potential thief.

The only information people are required to provide us with when they register is a valid email address.

As far as using registration information to track down a thief, I'm sorry, but we can't do that due to our privacy policy. We could get in quite a bit of legal trouble for divulging a member's personal information.

The forum software tracks the IP addresses people use when they register, log on to, and post at the forum. But I can't give anyone's information out to another party without their permission or without a court-ordered subpoena for the information. Any large, well-run site with a privacy policy is going to have similar restrictions as to how and when they will give out a member's private information. Our privacy policy was thoroughly gone over by our attorney's.

I agree that making patterns harder to access makes it more difficult for people to use them without permission. But where do we draw the line between making it harder for people with ill intent and creating too much red tape for the many more people who are going to abide by the law and do what is right?

I also don't see that you can do too much to control this and still be crochetville.

Yah know what, I am here because of the Fluffy Pink Shrug pattern. how many others are here for the same reason - a pattern drew them and the Ville snared 'em :wlol

Darski, this is it exactly!!! :)

I stumbled onto crochetville for the same reasons. doing searches for patterns, and I kept on being brought to crochetville. So, I figured I should join! As for lurkers, sometimes people don't feel ready to share their work, or unable to share their work for whatever reasons. (Like me who has no digital camera.............ugh......) But I post here and there when I can.

I also found the Ville because I was looking for a certain pattern. Even though someone doesn't have a camera, people can still comment on other's work and in that sense would not be a lurker. I consider a lurker to be someone who rarely posts.

I understand what everyone is saying but it just rubs my rhubarb that this happening to my crocheting friends. Anyone who shares a pattern will have to search Ebay just about every day to see if someone is selling the shared pattern. If it turns out to be a Ville member, I would hope that person would be barred from the board.

I too found the ville during a pattern search, so I have no idea what the answer is . Except to say that some people steal and profit from others. The world has always been this way sadly. Once you find one way to block a thief, they usually find another way to get what they want and so on and so on. My grandma always told me that you reap what you sow. I think you have to believe that and that dishonest people never come out ahead in the end. But, I think people like Darski that share with others selflessly whether it be by sharing patterns that others can enjoy or giving to the homeless or less fortunate....those people are always blessed .

I

I understand what everyone is saying but it just rubs my rhubarb that this happening to my crocheting friends. Anyone who shares a pattern will have to search Ebay just about every day to see if someone is selling the shared pattern. If it turns out to be a Ville member, I would hope that person would be barred from the board.

It is completely maddening that some people think they can make a profit for themselves based on the hard work of actual crochet designers, whether those designers sell their patterns themselves or just give them away from generosity.

It is usually very, very hard to prove that an eBay seller is a Crochetville member. The sellers are usually pretty good at hiding their tracks. eBay would not release any information to me without a subpoena. But if somebody here makes direct email contact with that seller and forwards me (be sure to include the full header information as well) the communications, and I can make a 100% positive correlation with a Crochetville member here (several different ways I might be able to do this), then yes, that member would almost definitely lose their Crochetville privileges. We do not tolerate copyright violations, as everyone who's been here longer than a couple days ought to know by now! :)

Oh, I thought I'd offer everyone some additional information on the copyright protection we can offer when you post your patterns here. Obviously, you retain full legal copyright to any patterns you post here. But when you post a pattern here, you grant us official copyright license to host your pattern for you until/unless you ever choose to remove it.

If somebody takes your pattern posted here without your permission, and you are unsuccessful in getting them to stop misusing it, you can always contact me for assistance. I'll be happy to contact them with the added power clout of a company (Crochetville LLC) asking them to remove the offending material. Usually a quick reference to contacting their ISP under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (that gives their ISP the legal power to remove any offending content or their entire site if the ISP so chooses) is enough to make them quickly cease and desist. But if that doesn't work, and you are upset enough that you want to pay an attorney to draft a legal cease-and-desist letter for you, then we'll be happy to put you in contact with our intellectual property attorneys. Depending on the exact situation, we might even split the cost of the attorney with you.

I also got here by searching for a pattern. Once I found that and saw what else was here, I registered and became addicted. I don't think lurkers should in any way be excluded.

Hi, isn't there a code (HTML, I think?) that prevents people from right-clicking? I know there are other ways around that, but that *might* help in some aspects. Just to throw it out there. :)

I hate Right click banning. I use right clicks for many many legitimate purposes (forcing a picture to load that didn't load on first attempt, making a link open in another tab or window, etc.) ...if right click is banned on a site.. I move on to another site. And I won't go back to the site or seller that uses right click banning ever again.

I actually agree with those who are leery of posting pictures of their children in the show-and-tell folders. If you still want to post pictures of your children wearing your creations, just use a graphics program to blur out the face of the child as well as any identifying information in the background of the photo (street signs, etc.).
Honestly I know all that already. I choose to show my things on hangers, without my child.

I too probably came here for insiprations and to see what has been made. However I probably would have joined anyway to see and talk.

Hi, isn't there a code (HTML, I think?) that prevents people from right-clicking? I know there are other ways around that, but that *might* help in some aspects.
Yes there is but as I pointed out in Darski's other thread, that stops nothing. There many other ways to swipe a photo.

I hate Right click banning. I use right clicks for many many legitimate purposes (forcing a picture to load that didn't load on first attempt, making a link open in another tab or window, etc.) ...if right click is banned on a site.. I move on to another site. And I won't go back to the site or seller that uses right click banning ever again.
Exactly. Right click banning is annoying for many reasons and rarely stops people who want to get the photo.

Well, I'm happy to say we'll never institute right-click banning here. I'm too ingrained in using right click to open a new browser window when I click on a link! :lol

Here's a thought that just popped into my head (oh-oh)....:P

Instead of posting the instructions on C'ville, how about just posting photos and having those who are interested PM the designer? In that way, the designer would be in control of the people who get copies.

Granted, there's no stopping the pattern from being passed to others, but maybe this would discourage people from contacting the designer in the first place if their goals are less than honest.

I still, for the life of me, don't understand how people can steal other people's patterns and ideas and pass them off as their own and sell them, whether it be on Ebay or any other marketing area and not feel guilty about it. I can't remember how I found Crochetville (may have been an invitation) but I am glad I joined. I enjoy reading the posts and getting ideas and sharing my thoughts and ideas also. I am also thankful for those who are talented enough to design items (I crochet up a storm but not design by any means) and I would hate to see them stop sharing their love of designing because there are thoughtless people in the world.

LI Roe

Instead of posting the instructions on C'ville, how about just posting photos and having those who are interested PM the designer? In that way, the designer would be in control of the people who get copies.

Ellen, I think this option would create way more work than any designer would want to handle. Most probably don't have time to field hundreds and hundreds of requests that might come their way.

We'd never make this a requirement, but any designer who wanted to do this is certainly welcome to make that choice.

And I'd be a little concerned about hearing from people upset that a designer wouldn't give them a pattern for whatever reason.

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry, everyone, I had to leave the house to take my daughter to orchestra practice before I finished my thoughts on this post.

I'm not sure what purpose it would serve to have a designer pick and choose who to send the pattern to and who not to. That could end up causing a bunch of hurt feelings and people feeling left out and excluded. Ellen, can you explain a little more about how you envisioned something like this working? Right now, I'm not seeing enough benefit to posting patterns this way to justify the extra amount of work that would be heaped on the designer by having to send patterns out manually.

The only problem I can see are links on other sites (i.e. Crochet Pattern Central) to the pattern post. Although I've hit on a few links that told me I didn't have proper authorization so I'm sure another setting would need to be changed.

I just went through all 9,800+ links on CPC by hand (checking for broken pictures, misspelled titles, moved links, duplicates, you name it, I found it) and hopefully removed the few C'ville that said "you don't have proper authorization". (I know in one case the pattern was removed due to copyright violations. I hadn't thought to remove the link and my link checker didn't catch it.)

As for my two cents on this issue: I'm happy with the way C'ville is. Off topic and swaps should be limited to members, but it is really nice to have Show and Tell and the free pattern section (etc) open to all to promote creativity among the honest people.