Would you frog it?

boo1

I've been working on (mindlessly) a variegated (well, purple and gold-LSU) scarf, all done in garter stitch. I cast on 25, and I'm using slightly bulky yarn. Needless to say, it's taking a lot more yarn than I wanted to use, given that it is hand-dyed wool.

I'm thinking about frogging the whole thing (:eek ) and re-doing it with about 17 cast on stitches so that I can make it a lot longer without buying a 3rd hank of the yarn.

Am I crazy? I really think I'd prefer it to be longer than it will be-right now, it will only be about 4 feet long and about 6 inches wide.

Hmm.......

I'd frog it. I have the same situation with a yarn I can't get more of. While the 8 repeats of the pattern make a nice wide scarf, it won't be very long at all...maybe barely around the neck. Frogging the whole thing and redoing it with 4 repeats will make it twice as long; so that's what I have to do. Luckily it's easy to frog.

I would do the same, and have. Bought specialty yarn for a scarf for my daughter about 2 years ago...she picked it...it had the coloring of a tabby cat...really nice. I frogged about half a skein when I realized I'd have to buy a third hank. At $12 a skein, I figured $24 was enough for a scarf. Frog it and start over. P.S. I saw very thin fashion scarves at the store the other day. They were maybe 2.5 inches wide and for wearing as an accessory with clothes and not for warmth as outerwear...so, thin is in...for scarves.

I think it will look and lay much better if it is narrower. Now I'm thinking 15 cast-ons.

Must take a deep breath before I start pulling......

:sigh

Yep, i'd also frog. The most painful frog I have done so far is about 9 inches of the "Brooke's Falling Leaves" scarf. All that work. It was almost enough to make me not want to knit anymore.

Lucky for me I have just moved on to other projects ;)

Archived