Another ebay thief

By the way, another protection method, I'm not sure what it's called but you layer the photo over a blank white background & when a person uses right click to save it, they actually save a white background with nothing on it.
Right clicking is only one way to get an image. There are several other ways.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aesthetically speaking, it is annoying that I have to do this to photos. This is one of the ways we forget that people take from us when they do this stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions about how to write and what to write and the understanding that a lock only keeps an honest person out.

e-b4play.jpg

This has been done with photoshark. it is any easy program to use and all future projects will go through it. It just breaks my heart that my lovely pics have to be treated this way.

YES,It is a shame when an individual takes advantage of a person's generousity. I think your patterns are wonderful and I thank you for everything you have done for Crochetville and beyond. I am glad that you have protected your pictures.

Some eBay sellers have found a way so that a photo cannot be downloaded when you right-click on it. However, even *I* was able to figure a way around that. I just download the entire auction to my desktop and I then extract whatever I want. So if that suggestion is made, know that it has its shortcomings as well.

Keep in mind, also, that there is software out that (albeit expensive software) where you can alter PDFs.

Just a thought, what if instead of "Free Pattern" you used "NOT FOR RESALE, available for FREE at Crochetville.Org". Says the same thing but more forcefully, I think.

Also, there's no way to protect an image that you can see on a computer screen. You can easily "capture" the screen with the printscreen button (or capture software) and crop it around the picture.

Just a thought, what if instead of "Free Pattern" you used "Darski's Designs, NOT FOR RESALE". Says the same thing but more forcefully, I think.

Also, there's no way to protect an image that you can see on a computer screen. You can easily "capture" the screen with the printscreen button (or capture software) and crop it around the picture.

I want the image to be as unobtrusive as possible and there is nothing I can do about what other people might do. I can only do what I can do and then put others on God's hook to be dealt with by Him. it lets me get some sleep at night that way :wlol

good for you darski! I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope this is a rare incident for you. Your patterns are so sweet, and you're sweet to share them here for free. If DD had a "Dora" doll, I'd probably have downloaded all your designs by now, they're so cute. Hugs to you. Again, sorry you had to go through all this nonsense.

I have a doll pattern that I made and I go online (Ebay, Etsy, etc) often to make sure no one is trying to sell my pattern. I've just been giving it away free, but I sure don't anyone making money off of something that I've made.

I would certainly call attention to Ebay for this.

When they strike once, they will ALWAYS strike again. Once you've seen it happen, you always have to be looking for it, because they WILL come back and they WILL try to do this stuff again. :no

Actually, there is. If you "watermark" the image, then even if someone takes a screen capture, that "watermark" will always be there.

I come across the copyright issue at work from time to time, and have found out that If I want to use a copyrighted work the following applies...

If I am making copies of an article to support the education that is given in my "private" setting of my own organization for FREE...then I have education laws that grant me the right to do so. The spin comes in when I need to make copies for a "public" setting, where I am inviting healthcare professionals from outside my organization to the educational event...in most cases charging a registration fee. In this case I'm obligated to make every reasonable attempt to contact the person or organization that owns the rights to the material.

That being said...some time in the 90's former President Clinton signed a bill that stated that EVERY work created is protected by copyright laws. This means that we should assume, unless otherwise stated that we have no right to copy someone elses work. I have created many an item since I learned this...that I put the little C in circle at the bottom of the page. This implies that whoever wants to use my creation must make a reasonable attempt to contact me for permission.

I have to tell you...I would be HONORED if somebody ever calls to request my permission to use something that my brain created. I wouldn't hesitate to offer my permission for free....but ...Once I was contacted by another Viller (long story short) who brought to my attention that somebody might be using my Ville avatar on another site!!!! I was VERY upset. This avatar is my grandmother...I am the only person on the planet who owns this image. I would have been honored to share the image with somebody else...had they simply asked. In the end it was a misunderstanding...but that was the point in my life where I grew a true appreciation for copyright protection!

If you want to protect your work...just say so.

I noticed that the seller has a couple other FREE patterns for sale. :no:angry

see, those are the ones that burn my hide. Selling patterns that are free on the web. just one of the reasons, as a rule, I never post patterns of my own designs. I got accused once (before I was a 'viller) long time back of copying someone elses pattern, even though I'd never seen her pattern, and didn't know it existed. They were similar, but obviously not the same design. It hurt to the point that I vowed to never again share my own work.

Darski, I hope this never happens to you again. Or anybody else for that matter. It stinks, and they should be held liable.

Actually, there is. If you "watermark" the image, then even if someone takes a screen capture, that "watermark" will always be there.
Please go back and read my other replies. It can be done. I did it with Darksi's in less than five minutes. That's without giving it time it takes to do it really well and me not even being a pro at it.

It helps and like I said in an earlier post, most likely most eBay sellers won't take the time to do it. Just know that it can be done.

Please go back and read my other replies. It can be done. I did it with Darksi's in less than five minutes. That's without giving it time it takes to do it really well and me not even being a pro at it.

It helps and like I said in an earlier post, most likely most eBay sellers won't take the time to do it. Just know that it can be done.

This is true.

The only thing the watermarking or similar stuff does it to make it very obvious that this person did not "make a mistake" or misunderstand the situation.

it is a demonstration of intent to do wrong to remove these markings.

I totally agree with Empress - that if they really want the pic without the watermark it can be done. But it doesn't hurt to add one either. If you are going to put one on, I would do it right across the item that the pattern is for and not in the corner where it can be removed easily. :)

Yep, what Empress et al said about photoshopping, which would be made more difficult to erase (but not impossible) with a watermark.

My comment about screen capture was in reply to an earlier post where someone was suggesting you wouldn't need a watermark if you set up some sort of foil to right clicking and copying the photo.

If the "bad guys" want it bad enough, they'll find a way, but maybe we can just slow them down or encourage them to go elsewhere. Sad, isn't it.

I totally agree with Empress - that if they really want the pic without the watermark it can be done. But it doesn't hurt to add one either. If you are going to put one on, I would do it right across the item that the pattern is for and not in the corner where it can be removed easily.

It can be done, but a thief is almost never interested in investing that kind of work when they could spend less time searching for something that hasn't been properly marked. They're looking for something for nothing and tend to be rather lazy...

I do art, and use Photoshop on a regular basis. While friends of mine who don't want to "mess up" their images with watermarks have had to endure the heartbreak and outrage of having their work stolen, I have yet to hear that anyone has taken anything of mine, because I did put a noticeable, but not too distracting watermark on it. I am a big advocate of using watermarks. If you get the playing around with the designs, you can end up creating watermarks that ADD to an image rather than take anything away. They can make it look more professional.

It can be done, but a thief is almost never interested in investing that kind of work when they could spend less time searching for something that hasn't been properly marked. They're looking for something for nothing and tend to be rather lazy...

That's pretty much what I said. It can be done but most eBayers won't trouble with it. I also stated that people should go ahead and do it.

I just find it misleading to say that even with a screen cap, a watermark is always there because it's not.

I do Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro all the time myself, hense my statements.

:)

Unfortunately the Microsoft Paint program is rather primitive, and you can't have 2 MSPaint files open at once so you can't paste the image from one file into another.

You can if you open the program again instead of choosing new document from the already open one. That way you can open more than one document.

I once bought a pattern on Etsy and what I received what a COPY of a copyrighted pattern. I looked up the seller's current listings (at the time) and noticed the pattern I had bought was back up for sale, along with many other patterns. I complained to the seller (who explained that she had spilled coffee on the original, etc. and I wondered how she could have copied it without the coffee stains); she offered me a refund if I returned the copy, which I did.

I also notified the designer of this copyright infringement. Only the designer/copyright holder can file a complaint with the site (Etsy, eBay, etc.). Shortly after, I noticed that the seller was no longer selling patterns on Etsy.

I assume patterns for sale are originals since it is against copyright law to sell copies; however many sellers do not say it is an original... and sell copies anyway. So be careful and ask questions, and if anyone that sells is reading this, be sure to note that the pattern is an original.

I once got a "bonus" pattern from a seller on eBay. She included a special little note saying it was a special little thank you for paying so promptly. The bonus pattern was an illegal color copy of a free pattern that one gets for buying yarn at Jo-Anns.

Though I haven't used it before, I thought I might throw out another alternative to Photoshop, which is an expensive program.

It used to be free, and I guess I don't see any reasons why it wouldn't still be free, but there is an image program called GIMP that works like Photoshop. Like I said, I haven't ever used it, but what I've heard from people who have used it is that it's a good program to work with. It should use layers, which would make creating watermarks worlds easier. So, anybody interested in making watermarks for their images could always check into that.

It should be at the Gimp.org website for download.

And, I didn't see anybody saying anything about this program. This thread does have a lot of pages by now, so it's entirely possible someone already has. I'm not here to step on anyone's toes. I'm just trying to help my fellow crocheters protect themselves from theft and pattern misuse.

It used to be free, and I guess I don't see any reasons why it wouldn't still be free, but there is an image program called GIMP that works like Photoshop. Like I said, I haven't ever used it, but what I've heard from people who have used it is that it's a good program to work with. It should use layers, which would make creating watermarks worlds easier. So, anybody interested in making watermarks for their images could always check into that.

It should be at the Gimp.org website for download.

Yes, Gimp is still free. And it's easy to use. Just open your photo with Gimp,

Archived