Another ebay thief

That isn't too bad to use but I will still have to save every image to my computer and then upload them all to photobucket again.

Does photobucket let you "right-click protect" your images? I use picturetrail, and I can make an album un-copy-able (:)) by choosing to right-click protect that album. That way my images are safe.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of eBay sellers I know use the watermark method so it doesn't cover their item. They run it from the lower left to the upper right. If you want, I can ask a few of them what program they use and how they do it.,

This can be done under Microsoft Word, click on format, then background.

I downloaded the photo that had your Darski Creations across the top and was UNABLE to remove the text. Then again, I don't have the most state-of-the-art software and I'm not the smartest computer person on the planet.

I removed it in less than five minutes. I'm fairly good with my PSP and I used to have Photoshop.

Not to scare you guys or anything however I have seen some really good people out there remove names and watermarks that I would have thought were impossible.

I think you should still put them on, just be aware that it can be done. Most eBayers won't take the time to do it.

If you want, I can ask a few of them what program they use and how they do it.,

They're doing it in either Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, most likely. It's simple as pie to set up a tube or brush to use all the time.

Does photobucket let you "right-click protect" your images? I use picturetrail, and I can make an album un-copy-able (:)) by choosing to right-click protect that album. That way my images are safe.

Right click 'protect' doesn't really help. And it actully hinders some visiters to your site. Many left handed people reset their mouse to work opposite so that they use right click rather than left to surf the net.

Sure the average person can't right click and take your picture but there are so many ways to get it. I just took the picture of your purse and put it on my Paint Shop Pro and I'm not an expert.

Sadly there is no 100 percent fail safe out there.

I removed it in less than five minutes. I'm fairly good with my PSP and I used to have Photoshop.

Not to scare you guys or anything however I have seen some really good people out there remove names and watermarks that I would have thought were impossible.

I think you should still put them on, just be aware that it can be done. Most eBayers won't take the time to do it.

They're doing it in either Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, most likely. It's simple as pie to set up a tube or brush to use all the time.

Thank you for this. it is good to know the limitations as well as the possibilities. I really appreciate you taking the time to test this for me.:hug

No problem.

I would, if I was you, put your name over the afghan or anything else in other photos, that's really busy and complicated. It does make it harder to remove. I don't remember what all paint has but you can play with the opacity maybe or things like that. Then it's not so obtrusive when showing off but it's still there.

:)

Darski....

I'm so sorry! Thank you for sharing your patterns. They are on my to do list and I love them. People are so awful to steal from others. I will keep an eye out in case anyone else decides to do this.

I use a free program called "Picture Shark".

Make sure your pictures are watermarked.

Hugs for your lousy day:hug :hug :hug

Darski....

I'm so sorry! Thank you for sharing your patterns. They are on my to do list and I love them. People are so awful to steal from others. I will keep an eye out in case anyone else decides to do this.

I use a free program called "Picture Shark".

Make sure your pictures are watermarked.

Hugs for your lousy day:hug :hug :hug

You have been causing me to think about this for some time. I remember when you had to start marking your photos. I guess I just should have moved sooner on this before I had so many to think about.

Thank you for your kind thoughts... I'll look for that program.

Darski, Have you ever thought of making your patterns available in PDF format...along with picture as well. Like you can create a pattern, and if someone is interested in it, have the first page a picture of the item and then the following pages are the actual pattern. This way the 'Ville members (or where ever else you post these at) could just email you with a request and then you can just send them the file. And everyone can read a pdf file...it is opened with Adobe Reader. Just a thought.

This is the one I was talking about, sorry I thought it was a Christmas outfit, I guess its just polka dots.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61068

Is this the one the person stole?

Oh yeah. That is kind of Christmas-sy. Interestingly enough, I am working on a Christmas dress today while I surf and consider.

These are the ones that she posted

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44085&highlight=T-E-A-M

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48912&highlight=Beautiful+Baby

Darski,

I dont think you have to worry about the seller having sold any of your patterns. I just looked at all their items they've sold so far, and it was all either yarn or thread or seeds for plants. Didnt see any of your patterns in there.

I'm betting someone told them this "great way" to make money on eBay so that you get 100% profit. It's a lazy butt way to make money on eBay.

If the eBay sellers want to sell patterns, they need to learn to crochet or to knit and then learn to design...something that actually takes skill, like what you have Darski, and then maybe, they can put some patterns onto eBay to try to sell.

This is one of the reasons why I dont buy crochet patterns on eBay, because it seems like a lot (but not all) of the sellers there are dishonest. The only way I'd buy from eBay is if I know who the seller is...I know that a ton of the designers here and over at About.com sell on eBay. I'd only buy from them.

Darski,

I am so sorry this has happened to you! You are such a sweet person and always go out of your way to help any one you can. Hopefully this person won't do this again!

:hug,

Lorry

The seller apparently stopped the "Dora" pattern auction. I sent her another email about the "Cabbage Patch" auction and suggested that she remove any and all patterns that are copyrighted. A seller with so few feedbacks is easier to scare.:)

I went to the link for the ebay auction and clicked on the "see other items from this seller" and there were absolutely none as of 10:21 pm central time, so if she did have auctions for other patterns, she has pulled them.

Darski, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It's a good thing you caught it. Your doll clothes patterns are, far and away, some of the best available. I'm surprised it has taken someone this long to attempt to steal them, but it just stinks that there are so many unscrupulous people out there waiting to steal someone else's thunder.

Elle

Thank you everyone for all your help and kind wishes.

I just noticed that my next post will be my 5,000th. This should have been it. It is what the Ville is all about - we come together and we help and support and we gripe and complain but we do it all together. Ain't life grand!!!

:hug:manyheart:hook:manyheart:hook:hug

Right click 'protect' doesn't really help. And it actully hinders some visiters to your site. Many left handed people reset their mouse to work opposite so that they use right click rather than left to surf the net.

Sure the average person can't right click and take your picture but there are so many ways to get it. I just took the picture of your purse and put it on my Paint Shop Pro and I'm not an expert.

Sadly there is no 100 percent fail safe out there.

Wow. Thanks for telling me. I had no idea that right-click-protect wasn't safe.

I appreciate the heads-up. I'm off to picturetrail to delete the monarch photos I've been trying to sell. I don't want there to be any copyright problems. :sweat

Oh holy cow! She even used your picture, the nerve!:angry

That's what I couldn't get over!!! She didn't even have the decency to make up the outfit herself and take a picture, she used Darski's photo!! What a total louse!

Elle

Oh Darski, I am so sorry that someone had the nerve to do this to you. You deserve so much more respect and thought than these people are giving you.

You are so wonderful for sharing all these lovely patterns with us so that we can make them and make the little girls in our lives happy - it is such a shame that there are some lazy people out there who have no ethics.

I hope that you won't let "one bad apple" spoil things for you. You deserve so much more! ! !

You can try this, it will stop most but nothing is uncopyable on the internet, nothing is safe, that is the chance we all take when posting pics and patterns.

Darski,

So sorry to hear about this trouble for you. Your patterns are so adorable and you're such an angel for sharing them. I'm glad this person took them off the auction. But has anyone actually reported this person to ebay. I really think they should be made aware of it. Hope today is better for you. Take care.

Some people have nerve! That is such a cheap shot to steal photos & patterns & pass them off as your own to make a couple of dollars. :no

Sorry that your generosity was taken advantage of Darski. I hope it helps to know that this thief is a tiny, "warped" piece of lint in the vast fiber of crocheters. The many honest members of the 'Ville has shown that most crocheters do care & do respect designers & appreciate when they offer free patterns.

By the way, another protection method, I'm not sure what it's called but you layer the photo over a blank white background & when a person uses right click to save it, they actually save a white background with nothing on it. :lol I have seen Flickr & other places use that method. Adding the words Free Pattern on top is a good idea too because they could think that the seller is Darski Designs, know what I mean? I think if I bought a pattern I wouldn't question what the photo had written on it unless it said free pattern & I was dumb enough to pay for it on ebay. :blush

Adding the words Free Pattern on top is a good idea too because they could think that the seller is Darski Designs, know what I mean? I think if I bought a pattern I wouldn't question what the photo had written on it unless it said free pattern & I was dumb enough to pay for it on ebay. :blush

Thank you for your kind words and I do like that idea of putting Free on the pics. Much more obvious as you say.

Even if it can be removed, it would clearly demonstrate evil intent.

Archived