Another ebay thief

Someone has "stolen" one of my Dora designs and I have downloaded the form that I have to send.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190165215545&category=41231&sspagename=rvi:1:1v_buy

couple of problems though

1. My printer is dead. (I can probably send it to a friend to get printed)

2. I cannot join Ebay (thank you Jesus as I hate that place but) as I don't have a credit card or a land based phone line.

What can I do while I figure out how to deal with my printer issue to stop this abuse?

I am objecting on purely moral grounds - this person is a thief. If you will steal little you will steal anything.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question about this....I don't want to be a spoiler...but isn't Dora a registered trademarked character?? Did you have permission to make her and use her yourself?? Now I do feel this person is BAD BAD BAD!!!! but they shouldn't be selling a trademarked character...but why do you think you own it??? I am just curious, because another lady made a doll of Harry Potter and they were in trouble for doing it. I was just wondering...I mean, if there is no crochet pattern for something trademarked, why can't we make one? But, do we now own it??

I just sent the seller an email asking them if they knew they were selling a copyrighted pattern. I suggested that they cancel the auction immediately.

Darski, a suggestion for you for future patterns: Include an embedded phrase "copyrighted by..... and not to be sold without permission from ...." in your photos .... even the ones you share on the 'ville. A lot of eBayers are being forced to do this because their auctions are being stolen. In that way the photos cannot be copied and used elsewhere without also including the copyright information.

I have a question about this....I don't want to be a spoiler...but isn't Dora a registered trademarked character?? Did you have permission to make her and use her yourself?? Now I do feel this person is BAD BAD BAD!!!! but they shouldn't be selling a trademarked character...but why do you think you own it??? I am just curious, because another lady made a doll of Harry Potter and they were in trouble for doing it. I was just wondering...I mean, if there is no crochet pattern for something trademarked, why can't we make one? But, do we now own it??

I have never claimed the name. The pattern that I made fits that doll and was made for her. I did not make "her" I made her clothes.

Trust me, I won't make that mistake again.

This post does not name the doll that is used because of copyright concerns.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44085

This Ebay seller also has one for 'cabbage patch' doll that looks familiar too ~ don't know if it was from C'ville or somewhere else that I saw it. :no It's quite rotten of people to do that when someone else has put in all the work to create the pattern. :angry

Just to clarify, Darski didn't make a pattern for an actual Dora doll. Darski designs patterns that will fit the Dora doll. This is okay to do with copyright and trademark law, as long as Darski is careful to make sure her patterns don't give the appearance they are officially licensed patterns, like calling them patterns "designed to fit Dora and other __" tall dolls." Just like there are all sorts of patterns available to fit Barbie dolls and American Girl dolls.

You are right, though, that there would be a trademark issue involved if somebody was distributing a pattern for an actual Dora doll, and not just clothing that fits a manufactured doll.

It doesn't matter that there is not an officially licensed pattern for a trademarked character. Trademark law gives the trademark owner complete rights over distribution of items featuring that trademarked character. In order to distribute a pattern of a trademarked character, the designer would have to get permission from the trademark holder. This usually involves licensing arrangements. Some companies won't even talk to you about the possibility of licensing unless you meet a certain set of requirements (been in business so many years, sell a certain dollar amount of product each year, have so many years manufacturing experience, and so on). Licensing fees are usually quite expensive, and most companies also require that you pay them a royalty fee for every item you sell featuring their trademarked character. With only a small percentage of the relatively small crochet customer base likely to be interested in a pattern of a particular trademarked character, most designers don't think they could recoup their investment, if they could even obtain the licensing arrangements in the first place.

This Ebay seller also has one for 'cabbage patch' doll that looks familiar too ~ don't know if it was from C'ville or somewhere else that I saw it. :no It's quite rotten of people to do that when someone else has put in all the work to create the pattern. :angry

Thank you for this. Yes that is another of my designs as posted here.

I have never claimed the name. The pattern that I made fits that doll and was made for her. I did not make "her" I made her clothes.

Trust me, I won't make that mistake again.

This post does not name the doll that is used because of copyright concerns.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44085

Oh, I see. You should be able to make the clothes. It is unbelieveable that someone would steal your pattern and SELL IT!!!!!! On the positive sie, know you know your pattern works!

I just sent the seller an email asking them if they knew they were selling a copyrighted pattern. I suggested that they cancel the auction immediately.

Darski, a suggestion for you for future patterns: Include an embedded phrase "copyrighted by..... and not to be sold without permission from ...." in your photos .... even the ones you share on the 'ville. A lot of eBayers are being forced to do this because their auctions are being stolen.

I need to learn how to do this. I saw waht Christina had to do for hers and I have been wondering about that myself.

I did notice that the number of "items" dropped by one while I was looking around.

The seller apparently stopped the "Dora" pattern auction. I sent her another email about the "Cabbage Patch" auction and suggested that she remove any and all patterns that are copyrighted. A seller with so few feedbacks is easier to scare.:)

The seller apparently stopped the "Dora" pattern auction. I sent her another email about the "Cabbage Patch" auction and suggested that she remove any and all patterns that are copyrighted. A seller with so few feedbacks is easier to scare.:)

Thank you so much. :hug

By the time this seller removes copyrighted patterns from her auction list, she won't have anything to sell.:lol :lol :angry:( I told her that YOU knew about the auctions.....

By the time this seller removes copyrighted patterns from her auction list, she won't have anything to sell.:lol :lol :angry:( I told her that YOU knew about the auctions.....

I don't really know anything about ebay but do they not let people know about copyright and that they can be in big trouble for this? (yeah, I know... a lock only keeps an honest person out.)

Most of us here are very aware of this issue because it comes up so often. I just keep thinking that the whole world thinks about this stuff automatically.

BTW... thanks to our glorious leaders ( :wlol )here for keeping this issue in front of us. We are better for trying to follow this.

It is a shame all the infringment on eBay now. Your patterns are really nice and it is rotten of anyone to do that to you. She should be reported as she does have others she got off the internet too, and for keyword spaming too as it's not allowed to name the doll etc in the title if your not selling it. She needs to be shut down period.

My stuff

http.http://www.picturetrail.com/sallyann

eBay is quite strict about copyright issues, however, people think they can get away with it because there are millions of auctions and they're just a needle in a haystack. Here's a link to eBay's policy: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

Wow, it seems this seller has ended quite a few, if not all, of her auctions! Score one for the good guys!

I want to thank the member here at the Ville who spotted my pattern and let me know it was happening.

The best cure for this stuff is the full light of day. :yes

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and especially Birdlady for getting the items removed.

when people see auctions on ebay infringing on copyrights they can report them as a violation...either with or without knowledge sellers seem to think if they found it on the net, it is public domain and they are able to sell it...sheesh. I looked at that person's auctions and as written above they seem to have ended without sale. The auctions weren't composed too well, were they?:( Anyhow, it looks like it may have been nipped in the bud...looks like the first time items such as that were up for sale, and hopefully the last. Big props for Amy....here and on other posts, you really are quite knowledgeable and quick with responses. :clap

How awful, but I'm glad it had a happy ending. The 'ville is a great place!!:manyheart

You had said you wanteded to find out how to put a text message on your photos. Most of us are running Microsoft, which comes with the Paint program. You can upload your photo into Paint, and add the text.

o-choose a color

o-click the text tool

o-two icons will appear on the right side, choose the bottom one, so the background of your text will be invisible

o-Place the cursor where you want the text to start.

o-Type your message. Select the text and right click if you want to change the font

o-If you click outside the text box, your text is "cast in stone", so if you want to reposition or resize the text box, do it before clicking!

o-If you mess up, thank goodness for edit>undo :lol

That's it!

Archived