Japanese Crochet Hooks

lakota85usa

Question

About a year ago, I won a Japanese pattern book on Ebay. The patterns are charted so there isn't any language barrier to worry about. However, in the book, there is a photo of the two Japanese crochet hooks that are used for all of the patterns. They look like the Clover Soft Touch hooks we see here in the states but I don't think that they are American sizes. One reads 2/0 and the other reads 3/0. Would anyone happen to know what these hook sizes would be in American or "mm" sizes and what size thread would be used for them?

The thread size is written in Japanese and helaas, I don't know Japanese so therefore have no clue who to decipher that information from the pages. LOL.:think:think

Hmmmm, I just had a thought. Is there an online site where they show thread sizes in Japanese and then have it translated into English? I could do a word/symbol comparison with that on the book.

Thank you for any help.

Pam

5 answers to this question

Sharon, Thank you for the link to the chart. I didn't see 2/0 and 3/0 under the Japanese hook column. I did bookmark the site for future use. It will come in handy.

Acraftlady, Yes, those hooks look just like the ones in the Japanese pattern book that I have except they have 2/0 and 3/0 on them. Too bad the link that you sent showing the hooks didn't have those sizes listed when you click on Add to Cart.

Thanks to the both of you.

Pam

I think I may have solved the mystery about these hook sizes. Often in foreign countries they designate numbers differently than we do. Example is we use a decimal point, whereas in some places they would use a comma. My thought is that the "/" mark is being used like a decimal point. Thus, the "2/0" would be "2.0" in our way of expressing it. The sizes are all in "mm".

I did a Google search and found this site: http://world.std.com/~kcl/crochethooks.html which has a set of Japanese hooks label with the "2/0" and the owner says that it translates to mean "2.0".

Hopefully, this would make sense for the patterns. A size 2.0 mm and 3.0 mm hook are used for sportweight or fingering weight yarns or threads.

~ Lori

Archived