Couple of new classes in Northern Virginia

MaryPat

One of our crochet-friendly LYS' is offering a couple of new crochet classes: I know the woman teaching them and she's excellent. She teaches not only at the CGOA conference, but she gets calls from manufacturers to teach at their conventions.

Where? See here:

http://www.aylins-wool.com/classes.htm

Saturday, October 27, 9 am – noon – CROCHETED CUFFS AND WRIST WARMERS - You’ve seen movie stars wearing them at award shows or in People Magazine. They are in all the knitting books. Now you can make these gorgeous cuffs/pulse warmers/mini sleeves for yourself and for some pretty special holiday gifts. They come in several types – with or without ruffles; ribbed, mesh, cabled. There are short ones that can be used as bracelets or long ones that turn into sleeves. They are quick to make and lots of fun to wear. Students must know basic crochet stitches. Nearly any yarn may be used for cuffs, but light (sportweight or fingering) work best. You may also jazz them up with fur or eyelash – even beads.

Saturday, October 27, 1 – 4 pm – PAINTED CROCHET SHAWL -

Using multi-color yarns, see how easy it is to "paint" a crocheted shawl that will fit into your wardrobe. Painting may be done with a lot of different patterns; you may purchase a pattern or bring one of your own. Karen will show you how to select yarns that will create your own personal palette and turn you into a fiber artist. Yarns will also be available, but if you already have some light-weight multi-colored yarns that might be included in your shawl, bring them along.

If only they had a bus from Baltimore :-)

You are lucky. The only crochet classes I have seen are basic scarves and ponchos... simple stitches and some felted purses.

Would love to see a painted shawl

Just did an internet search for "painted shawl" and what cameup were references to hand painted yarns or in one case a shawl that was hand painted after it was knitted.

When I saw the term I though of the painted doilies like Krakowianka made.

Is there a similar style for shawls?

Just did an internet search for "painted shawl" and what cameup were references to hand painted yarns or in one case a shawl that was hand painted after it was knitted.

When I saw the term I though of the painted doilies like Krakowianka made.

Is there a similar style for shawls?

In this context I took it to mean a combination of colors that subtlely changed shades.

If only they had a bus from Baltimore :-)

You are lucky. The only crochet classes I have seen are basic scarves and ponchos... simple stitches and some felted purses.

Would love to see a painted shawl

There's Amtrak and Marc Train from Baltimore -- I know because I've taken them in the opposite direction. But on Saturdays, only Amtrak. There's got to be a couple of Grey Hound busses and Baltimore has that huge truck/bus plaza that would have even more to DC.

Archived