Nintendo DS case

Krakovianka

My 2nd daughter, age 10, has known how to crochet chains for a long time. Recently, her interest in crochet has blossomed, and she mastered the sc stitch. She really has a knack for nice, even tension. When she wanted to make a case for her Nintendo DS Lite, I suggested that dc would be better (sc takes forever, and she's not patient).

I've shown her how to dc, but she hasn't mastered it, and isn't satisfied because her stitches aren't perfect yet.

I showed her how to make an extended sc (something I just learned myself), and she made this:

1598716925_bafd7d2d4f.jpg

1598716939_3fdb9cba82_m.jpg

She's pretty proud of it, and I'm pretty proud of her. It's fun having one kids who likes to work in the fiber arts. My 14yo is very artistic and loves to draw and work with clay, but has NO interest in thread or yarn at all.

The future of crocheters, You taught her well. Tell her it is beautiful. When she carries it she can proudly tell people she made. Tell her great job from me.

Thanks--I'll be sure to share all the nice comments with her.

Suzy--I hope you get lucky! I've always been sad that my oldest daughter doesn't care to learn how to crochet--she's a very artistic lefty, but just doesn't like the fiber arts.

esc--insert hook in stitch and draw up yarn as usual for a sc. Then yo, and draw hook through one loop. Yo again, and draw hook through both loops. It feels as if you are making a chain stitch in the middle of your sc. The fabric is denser than with hdc, but I felt it worked up as quickly as hdc--much faster than sc! She used one chain as a turning stitch, but did not count that chain as a stitch.

And you should have heard her complain when I told her she had to weave in the ends!!! :lol

Wow! Looks great. I may just have to 'borrow' her pattern to make one for my original DS. add a couple pockets on the inside to hold some game and it would be perfect!

She did a fab job. I hear her about the whole ends thing. I love the fact that she just added a ch or two for the button hole on the edge row.

I've always been dubious about calling a folded-over rectangle a pattern. :lol

Of course, we did decrease a few stitches to shape the flap...that makes it a real pattern, right? I have no idea how many stitches across it even is...she just made a chain and measured it against the case. Same for the final number of rows...just measured as she went along.

She folded over the end to make the case, sc'd up one side, continued across the single-layer flap (making a few chains for that button loop), and when she got to the other side of the case, begin sc'ing again in both sides. I sort of guided her in what she was doing, but she did every stitch of the work herself. (She's planning to add a pocket to hold an extra game, later--when she actually HAS an extra game!)

And *I* wasn't going to weave in the ends!

That is wonderful. she was born to crochet fer shure and she really does understand "how it all fits". That is important for a new designer.

keep us up on what she is doing next eh? :hug.

We are all proud of her.

You should be very proud of your daughter - and of yourself for having taught her. I hope this is only the beginning of a lifelong interest for her. And I really like the yarn choice. I don't recognize it. What yarn did she use?

I really don't know what the yarn is--I picked it up second hand and it had no wrapper. I pick up stuff like that on purpose for her--she likes the colors. The colors were so close together, you sometimes get 3 colors in one stitch, which makes for a pebbly effect. If you squeeze the ball of yarn, it *squeaks*. I have no idea what it is, sorry. It's probably European yarn, though.

Wow!! That is beautiful!! Your daughter did an awesome job!!:cheer I just love the color of that yarn!! I can't wait for my granddaughters to get a little bit older so I can teach them to knit and crochet!! :)

She's a born designer! It looks great!

I tried to teach my 7yr old step-daughter how to crochet, but she couldn't quite get it. So she settled for the knifty knitter. Then, the next month, my 7 1/2 yr old son did the knifty knitter thing too! It's seems to be so much easier for them.

Archived