Lapghan discussion and Annies today

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/index.html

That link is for Annies October 17th free pattern. it is for a lapghan with a foot pocket.

I bring this up for discussion because I noticed the size is shown as 29" by 57.5". They have a picture of someone in a wheelchair (what a concept :eek ) and it looks like a good/ generous fit.

When I have made lapghans, I have generally worked to 36" by 48" (plus borders). I do this largely because it takes twelve 12" squares and that size has been generally approved.

I know that we have people here with experience in this area. Could we get some comments about which size would be best? I think most of us would like to be of the most help we can and most of us are willing to learn if we could do something better.

Love you guys and especially that you stand and speak truth in love when we ask dumb questions. :manyheart

Isn't 29" a little small for the width? Just measuring across my lap, mind you I am plus sized, 29" isn't going to give much room to tuck anything around my legs. I love the pattern, but think I would add inches to it. :hook

I'm wrestling with this very question right now! I've decided to make lapghans for a local old folks home and I've got to decide the best size to make. A lapghan should cover the legs, maybe the feet, and then stop just above the sitter's lap, right? The lapghan I'm making up now is comprised of 10" squares. I've joined them 4 across using the flat braid method, which adds a bit to the width. With a border the width will probably be at least 48" or more. I haven't decided on the length yet, but I may go with 5 squares down. With joining and a border, it would be about 60". Somehow it seems too long, like the lapghan in the Annie's photo. :think Of course, some of the extra length could be folded into the lap...

Any other ideas?

I am not sure about the width, but it should fit comfy across the legs and down to the side of the leg and touch the chair (some people get sores from having it tucked underneath them). A variety of widths would meet that criteria. For me a size 16 its 29". You don't want it too big or it might get stuck in the wheels by going over the edge, and if there isn't much room in the chair then it could cause sores from being tucked in the side causing pressure. If it is not a bulky pattern then a length that the person can pull up to cover themselves fully and then fold in their lap is best.

That ghan is all wrong! If you look at the picture - it's WAY too long and it WILL get caught up in the front wheels. It's not nearly wide enough unless you're a size 3.

The worst part about wheelchairs is that the back of the legs get cold - not just the feet.

Boy, I am happy to see this discussed because I have had a few requests from women here local to help them make some lapghans. When I saw this pattern...I thought great. I can work on some in my leisure. But to me, I thought the same thing...that it was too long and that would/could cause a problem.

I will definately be following this one, so that I can do it the right way.

I had the same thought, it seemed much to long. I thought it seemed narrow, but the wheelchairs I've seen wheelchairs are not roomy; I'm not petite (ahem) and that width is probably about right.

The foot pocket is generously deep (about 23 inches) to keep the back of the legs warm, so you don't need the length to wrap your legs. I'm 5'3 and with a pocket to keep my feet warm, 3' would more than reach my waist, so 4' in length would be more than generous for taller folk.

My Grandmother was in a wheelchair for years. She would consistantly grab her lapghn that measured about 3 x 4 feet. It covered her lap and legs. the other ones would get tangled in front wheels.

The foot pocket is a good idea but you need to remember that a lot of people that are in wheelchairs also use their legs to help them get around, especially when their arms are tired. (think of the Flintstone - mobile)

The other thing about the foot pocket is that I would imagine it's quite hard to get out of (or at least not very lady-like) if it gets too warm. We live in a temperature controlled world.

I work for a home health care and one of my clients loves to go for walks in her wheel chair but her legs get chilly when it is cool out. This seems like it would be great for that. I usually use a lap quilt that she has but it gets tangled in the wheels or dirty from dragging. I think this would be a good thing for her. I'm going to do some stash busting and see what I come up with. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

I generally make them 3' X 4'. It is a good length that doesn't get caught in the wheels or dragged.

Some nursing homes actually will tell you the sizes they prefer if you call them. They are very grateful for the donations.

Be sure to make them out of a durable fiber that can be machine washed and dried. RHSS works out well. And bright colors can really brighten their day!

:manyheart

I am wondering if some leg warmers would not be more useful for some. They would give you motility but warmth.

They should be quick and easy to make up and no sewing together ((((((((yeah)))))))))

Are we talking about people in nursing homes or at home?

My Baba (Grandmother) stole about half of my legwarmers during the 80's. winter's in NJ do get cold. She wouldn't be caught dead wearing them out of the house or when we had company, tho.

I really liked the pattern (I think it was AA) that had the lapghan and the matching wheelchair bag that attachd to the arm. It is really hard to try to move yourself around and carry stuff on your lap.

Are we talking about people in nursing homes or at home?

My Baba (Grandmother) stole about half of my legwarmers during the 80's. winter's in NJ do get cold. She wouldn't be caught dead wearing them out of the house or when we had company, tho.

I really liked the pattern (I think it was AA) that had the lapghan and the matching wheelchair bag that attachd to the arm. It is really hard to try to move yourself around and carry stuff on your lap.

I was thinking more of nursing homes. We could schedule frequent showings of "Flashdance" to convince the residents that they are 'hip' :rofl

Edited to add that I have never actually seen the movie. oops

I don't know why I didn't find this thread until this morning. Now that I've finished my Cincinnati Bengals afghan for my work's charity auction, the squares I'm making in the Football Granny Square challenge will be used for a lapghan for wheelchair bound nursing home patients.

These squares will probably be 6 1/2 to 7 inches squares. With a couple of rounds of border around the lapghan...I'm thinking of a lapghan of about six squares across by seven squares down. That's about 3 1/2 feet by 4 feet. Is that too big? Too small? Just right?

Archived