Tunisan Mens Scarfs

cupcake

I tried tunisan years ago and didnt like it much. Recently I was in Brisbane and the yarn store had some Boye learn to crochet kits that had an enviable number of brightly coloured crochet hooks, including a tunisian hook. They are pretty much unavailable here, so I am now the proud owner of one tunisian hook. I have made these scarfs. I like the firm woven texture that tunisian gives. my son is the reluctant model who said I had to chop his head off. :lol

I like using the variegated yarns as it gives an interesting pattern.

I have also added some bits of leather and buttons to give them an individual look.

tunisin21pm8.th.jpg tunisin27cy7.th.jpg

tunisan310iu4.th.jpg tunisan37ls9.th.jpg

camo4dl4.th.jpg img7616fu6.th.jpg

I used a simple 25 st and then a tr/dc stitch. The work is pretty mindless and I can do it while I watch tv.

Thanks for looking!

I like them! I think I like the top right one best, just because they're girly colors :P. I'm a recent Tunisian addict myself. Taught myself earlier this year and I'm taking Kim's class on here right now. I'm thinking my next tote bag will be Tunisian because that nice, stiffer result would hold up well for a tote. Great job as usual, Cupcake. patty

I like them! I think I like the top right one best, just because they're girly colors :P. I'm a recent Tunisian addict myself. Taught myself earlier this year and I'm taking Kim's class on here right now. I'm thinking my next tote bag will be Tunisian because that nice, stiffer result would hold up well for a tote. Great job as usual, Cupcake. patty

I was out of town and missed the registration for that class! I've been trying to teach myself and so far it just doesn't look right....

Great job on the scarves! I like the variegated look, too!

Tell your DS he made a fine model! :lol

I miss the class registration as well. I do find it is hard on the wrist.

How are you holding your hook? I find that I absolutely have to use a knife style grip, especially after I've gotten a couple of inches worth of loops on the hook. The only thing I've really had hurt my wrist is a bathmat that involves pulling up 6 loops/stitch. I'm using a cable hook for that, and if I can't rest the project in my lap, my wrist gets really sore.

How are you holding your hook? I find that I absolutely have to use a knife style grip, especially after I've gotten a couple of inches worth of loops on the hook. The only thing I've really had hurt my wrist is a bathmat that involves pulling up 6 loops/stitch. I'm using a cable hook for that, and if I can't rest the project in my lap, my wrist gets really sore.

I had to think how I hold a knife. I think I am holding it how I hold a pencil. I did try holding it like a knife but I ended up in a muddle.

i just learned to do tunisian (only the simple stitch) this year and I really like it, but i couldn't find a tunisian hook to make anything wider than a regular crochet hook would be able to hold. Last week I found one in the big bundle of knitting needles my mother-in-law had passed on to me. I am tickled.

It really is a mindlessly fun stitch to do and I like the woven look it gives.

I like your scarves, especially the first one (upper left corner) and the buttons on the one below it. I think the stitch has a really nice hand that would work well for scarves. Good job. Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks for all your nice comments. The top one that people like started off as a shawl. The yarn has a bit of wool in it and is quite thick. I didnt like it a a shawl so I pulled it out and made a scarf. I am sure a number of you will identify with me here, but I bought the yarn on sale at last years end of season and havent been able to work out what to do with it. It was perfect for the tunisan as it has a bit of body an the variegations work well. My son likes the middle one with the leather strip and buttons. He thinks the first one is a bit cissy.

I have tried this before but was really put off by the amount the fabric curls! how do you over come this problem? these are great scarves! I am tempted to try again! :)

Cherry if you look at the bottom one it started to curl when I was using what I call a dc, US = sc. I could only tolerate 2 rows of this so when I started using a treble the curl stopped. I think because the stitches are so firm and there is only one side, rather than working back and forth, it curls.

As I said I had tried tunisian years back and didnt think much of it. I like the effect with the variegations as the the second row stitches show up well. I also like the woven effect as usual crochet can be "holey" or lacey which the boys dont like.

tunisin211ql3.th.jpg

Archived