What to do . . . .

A few months ago I purchased 3 skeins of JoAnn's Sensations (Rainbow in red shades), not realizing that this is a bulky yarn :eek I know the label clearly states this, and the size of the thread really should have alerted me that my trusty H hook simply would not work . . . but I was blinded by the absolute rightness of the color for my DD. Yesterday I brought the yarn up from my yarn room (actually the downstairs guestroom, but allow me my illusions please) set for an afternoon of afghan making. After about 10 minutes, I realized that I simply do not have a hook large enough for this yarn . . . . :eek My largest is a K and this calls for a 10mm or a Q!!! HUH? I must have been living under a rock for quite some time, because I simply don't have such an item. :blush I did acquire a Tunisian hook that may work, but I'm not fond of that process. :( I do have Kn*tting Needles that will work, but I'm not in the mood to Kn*t this month . . . .

My problem is . . . . Do I purchase a hook that will work with this yarn, or do I re-stash the yarn and purchase some yarn that will work with my hooks?

I plan to hit Hobby Lobby in 4 hours (when I'm off work) - So what do I do? Yarn or hook? Hook or yarn?

What to do? What to do?

If it's like their bucale (can't spell), then a K hook works just fine. The stitches are a little tougher to see, but work well. I'm currently using a bluky weight (Bernat Chunkee) with a J hook. It all depends on if you can see the stitches and how 'tight' a fabric you want. I've used size 10 thread with a D hook and bukly yarn with an H or an I (a little tough to see the stitches, but worked up so nice and solid, but still had a nice drape). I say try the K and if that doesn't work, try and N. I personally woulnd't go up to a Q. I actually think an N or M is 10mm, a Q is HUGE!

buy the hook. as a matter of fact, buy a n, p and q.( then you can see which you like best for what you are doing.) i like to use a P for "floofy" yarn,( like bright n lofty) and i am making a doublestrand homespun afghan with a Q. it goes REALLY fast.

I also vote get a N, a P and a Q. I like the P better, its more like a normal hook than the Q. And while you are there get some more yarn, just in case you can't stand the larger hooks. You can always store it in the yarn room.

An yes I am an enabler, and yes, you're welcome.

I also vote get a N, a P and a Q. I like the P better, its more like a normal hook than the Q. And while you are there get some more yarn, just in case you can't stand the larger hooks. You can always store it in the yarn room.

An yes I am an enabler, and yes, you're welcome.

:D :D Thank you! :D :D I sure didn't expect to wait this long to find an enabler!!!! :hug

I would try a different hook before buying more yarn, but then, who am I kidding, I'd get the hook(s) AND more yarn! :lol

As others have suggested, I would get an "N", a "P" and a "Q" hook. I use my "N" hook for almost all of my afghans, the finished product just feels better (softer) IMO, than an afghan that has been made with a smaller hook. The "P" is nice, too, because, again as someone else said, it's more like working with a regular hook, although all of the "P" hooks I have ever seen have been plastic. But even though they're plastic, they're not like working with a typical bendy plastic hook as happens when you try to use a plastic "G" or other smaller hook.

The "Q" hook - a hook of a different color. I cannot, no matter how hard I try, manage to crochet anything with a "Q". I feel like Wilma Flintstone because the thing is SO HUGE and cartooney! I feel like I should put down my crochet hook and go make an omelet with a pterydactyl egg or something. I've seen afghans and shawls that were made with "Q" hooks and they were GORGEOUS, but for me, working with the "Q" is just something that eludes me. Way too big and ungainly for me to hold comfortably, and I've got average sized hands, it's not like I'm a little tiny person.

Elle

The P plastic hook isn't too bad. Some have a hard time with plastic hooks, but the P seems different. However it's good to have options!

The Q hook is hard for me, too, if I can I'll go down to a P hook (I crochet loose so it's not hard for me to go down a hook size). I have used it, but not much. It just sits in my pen holder as decoration:hook . Although I see all these wonderful afghan books for Q hooks and am temped:devil

Debbi

Well - the majority seems to be to get the hook, so being the sheep that I am, that's what I'll do . . . . . I checked on JoAnn's web site (to make sure of the hook size recommended) and they do recommend a 10 mm or P hook (not Q thank heavens!). I'll check them out, but large hooks make me feel like a little kid eating soup with her first spoon using a "fist grip". I may end up with some skeins of new yarn and ROAK the lovely bulky stuff to someone who will give it the home it deserves. :yarn:manyheart:yarn

Thanks everyone for telling me to do what I really knew I should do all along . . . . :blush

Q is large but the S is even larger. I have made one shawl with the S hook it worked up fast but it was a bit awkward. My niece loved the shawl though. So experiment with different large hooks it is fun to try new things really!

I plan to hit Hobby Lobby in 4 hours (when I'm off work) - So what do I do? Yarn or hook? Hook or yarn?

What to do? What to do?

I'd go for both.:clap

Yarn for the hook you already have and hooks for the yarn on hand.

Hehe...we all need an enabler, huh??

I bought a N on clearance at WalMart and its really not bad. I've also used a K hook for Bernat SofteeChunky for an afghan and it came out quite nicely.

Oh, and I use my Tunisian hook like a regular hook. I have long hands, and if I'm working on a larger item it makes it sooo much easier for me. Just a thought!

I ended up using a 40% off coupon for a set of K, L & M rosewood hooks plus a Leisure Arts booklet on large hook afghans. The patterns all call for an N hook, but I'll just increase the starting chain to make up for the variance. This is going to be a labor of love - - not only is it going to be a large hook, all the patterns have FRINGE!!!! ugh.

Oh well - I love my step daughter very much and she has blessed me with two beautiful grand daughters - the 8 year old is learing to crochet just like her grandma Ingrid . . . .

I also vote hooks. But I think I have every hook from the smallest steel hook to the speed-hook and duplicates of some! But I also remember reading that someone had 56 or better hooks?!?!

Of course...I can't go to HL for hooks. I have NEVER found the ones I needed there. I ALWAYS found them at Ben Franklin and now the nearest BF is 5 hours away!! :(

(on a side note...I may be giving up my steel hooks...I just can't seem to do thread crochet anymore. But I LOVE my big hooks!! LOL Must be that tendinitis thing.)

go for the hook and tell us what you think, I've always loved my N hook, I just recently found a P on clearance at Hobby Lobby and I love it too, but then again I love all my hooks :lol

I can't imagine not having a full set of hook sizes so I say go for the hook. Of course I'm just a bit obsessive about my hooks so I might be a little bit biased. I own most sizes from a Q all the way down to a size 16 steel hook. Someday I need to find an S hook in a store so that I don't have to pay shipping for it.

I'd get a range of hooks N, P, & Q ... you'll eventually use them for other projects, and if the yarn you have is perfect you gotta use it! What good is stashing if you never actually get around to using it?

You gotta post a photo of the finished afghan too!

Archived