Doris Chan

I don't think so. But the Interweave Crochet Fall 2007 profile of her states that she started out selling patterns to Lion Brand. There may be something over there that you find you like. They usually don't list designers, so you have to guess, but some seem to bear her stylish stamp.

Doris and Twinkie are 2 different people...several years difference in age:) .

I do know Doris has book(s) out though, so you might want to try the library or visit your local book store...there might be a website in one of her books.

Twinkie Chan sometimes has scarves available on eBay, and the auctions usually close with the final price being $100++!! They are wildly popular. I contacted her once earlier this year re: a small commission, but she said she was far too busy, and she has many many things in the works. If you want to find out about her eBay auctions, she has a LiveJournal blog and a myspace page (both as twinkiechan) which she updates.

I think you could mean Lily Chin designing for Lion Brand? I saw her name as a designer today for Lion's patterns over at Ravelry while editing.

Never seen any finished work by Doris Chan being sold, but who knows? She has posted here before; perhaps you could send her a note to ask. :)

Twinkle is the company name for Wenlan Chia. She does knitting with big needles and huge yarns while Doris Chan does traditional doily crochet in yarn to explode it into shawls and wraps. (I have her book.) Lily Chin used to hold the title of Fastest Crocheter in The World, though I think someone beat her since then. Lily also has a book about high fashion and crochet. What I don't know is who Twinkie Chan is!

These names are all so close it's easy to mix them up.

Yes, Lion Brand has many designs by Doris Chan and it's true, LB doesn't often provide the designer's name. I can think of a few that I know for sure are Doris' but I don't remember the names of them all. One is "Heavenly Bolero"; another is a red "exploded doily" that might still show in LB's customer gallery pages.

Wow. I'm pretty lame! The rest of her designs that come to mind use Lion Brand yarns but are published in magazines.

Hey Everyone,

My ears must have been burning! A friend tipped me off to this thread and I felt I should respond.

I can understand the confusion. Our names are similar, and to add to the confusion, when written in Chinese characters, our names could actually BE the same. The currently accepted method of turning Chinese into English is called "pin-yin" or say-spell. Done in pin-yin, my last name today would read "Chun", I think. Whatever. Before pin-yin there was an older way, Wade-Giles. Sort of like how they changed "Peking" to "Beijing". I have no idea where "Chan" came from or when, but now I am sort of stuck with it LOL!

For unknown reasons, many people are compelled to put a "g" at the end of my name for "Chang". I used to say "Chan as in Charlie Chan", but today nobody knows who Charlie Chan is. For a while I could say "Chan as in Jackie Chan". But that is not working out too well, either.

At conferences and events I have been mistaken for Lily Chin. She and I laugh about it, but I think I am more amused than she. Although Lily is a decade younger than me, she has been building a massive career since she was a teen. Don't tell her this, but I was sort of a Lily wannabe at first. She certainly is a role model and a dynamic force in the industry.

Anyway, I have never sold finished crochet garments or pieces on a professional level. My first paycheck earned by crocheting came from Lion Brand Yarn when I sold them a shawl pattern in 2002. I sold hundreds of designs to Lion Brand over the ensuing three years. Today I am pretty much a hired gun. I work for anyone who asks (and who will pay!).

I am a professional crochet designer in that I come up with ideas for crochet, I make a sample garment, write a pattern, sell the package to magazines, yarn companies, book editors. Now I am an author of my own crochet design books as well. I do not have a website, alas. Me not technically inclined. But anyone here can reach me through PM.

Does this spilling of my guts help settle the controversy? :D

Yours,

Doris

Hi, Doris. Yup. I know who Charlie Chan is. Does that tell you more or less how old I am? :D I can imagine that your name and Lily's do get confused. It's interesting that your names could be the same in Chinese! But really, many "Anglo" names are confusing, too. Smith, Smyth and Smythe? Hello?

You really need your own website though! Maybe a tech savvy family member to help you?

Archived