I think I found "thread heaven"

Krakovianka

:yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn

Yesterday, I decided to check out a LYS I'd never visited. (You must realize, of course, that all yarn suppliers here in Poland are "LYS"--no big chains or discounted yarn suppliers.) I'd never been there, simply because it lies in the opposite direction from where I usually go, and requires a special trip.

Boy, have I been missing out!

By US standards, this is a small store, but by Polish ones it is huge. There were 3 glass counters in a U-shape around the edge of the shop, stuffed with all kinds of hardware and supplies--snaps, buckles, D-rings, pins, and so on. The walls behind were crammed with things--yarn, buttons, thread! I asked if I could go behind to examine a thread display, and when I got close to it, I couldn't believe my eyes. It was almost all Altin Basak size 50 (like size 30, really), both cotton and polyester (very shiny) in every color you can imagine--I mean literally *dozens* of colors, including some variegateds and some with a strands of metallic thread running through them. Gorgeous, every one. I picked up two balls of that, examined a bead display, got some ribbon cut for me for another need, and, just when I thought I was finished, glanced up near the ceiling. :eek They had long wooden dowel posts jutting from the wall, and on each post (there were probably 60 or 70), there was a large ball of crochet thread. At least half of it was the Altin Basak Maxi (Egyption cotton, size 10, great sheen, fantastic thread). Can you imagine choosing from among 4 shades (at least) of the color you want--green, blue, yellow/gold? I've never seen so many colors of crochet thread for sale in one place. Of course, I had to have a ball of that too. The saleslady had a clever little stick for getting the balls down from those high dowels!

I will SO be going back to this store often, and wish I had known about it before. :hook

Oh yeah--they also had a lot of yarn. Really, a huge selection compared to most places I've been. But this, I am sure, was really "thread heaven"--just a short bus ride from my house.:manyheart:yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn :c9

Oh, I am so envious. I live in Chicago, and we have nothing like that here. No one seems to sell thread anymore, at least, nothing other than white and maybe red, except for the more downscale brands. If they sell DMC, it's usually just in white. When I want colorful threads, I have to buy online, on ebay, or sometimes I can find it at quilt shows. Lucky you!

• 2 weeks later...

I bet you had a ball there today and yoon cloud:c9

2 years aog when I went to Colorado somewhere there was a thread shop and I spent over 3 hours there looking and spent quite bit of money. We don't have a store like that here in KY.

I'm sure you cannot wait to go back.

• 4 months later...

Archived