upstate new york

HI!

I'm in Montgomery, NY. We have a new group that meets in Newburgh. It's mostly knitters, but open for both.

PM me if you would like more information.

-Jen

:eek I Crochet in New Windsor!

There was somebody else on here from Newburgh about 6 months ago. I haven't seen her in a while.

I happen to be the only person that I know that crochets in New Windsor.

Have you tried Michaels to see if they have any "groups"?

I just haven't had the time to think about even finding fellow crocheters.

There is a yarnshop in Cornwall that I believe has a small crochet group too.

I love how "upstate New York" means different things for different New Yorkers!! I live in Oneida County....Boonville. We always say "upstate"...but I guess we are more central or northern New York...LOL.

I wish I was closer...I live in the Boondocks..I would love to have a get together with other knitters or crocheters...

smokey you make a really good point. I think that those of us that live in the Mid-Hudson Valley are actually trying to distinguish ourselves from "the city". Myself, I find that the only time that I use that phrase is to clarify that I'm not from NYC.

I get "well you don't sound like a New Yorker" or comments about "life in the city"...I myself reference West Point, most folks have some idea where that is, and its about 20 minute ride from my house. I also rent a house on a cow farm surrounded by woods and fields. We have deer, turkeys, foxes and even once saw bear tracks in the snow....I've never ridden a subway, and while I'm 60 miles north...I haven't been to NY in like 15 years...and that was only to pick a relative up from the airport.

;)...I guess everything north of "the city" is upstate eh?:think

I find that the only time that I use that phrase is to clarify that I'm not from NYC.

I'm not a native NY'er so I have no idea what "upstate" truly means. :D But can relate to everyone assuming that you are from NYC any time you mention NY. I get that no matter where in the world I am.

Oh good Lord, i wasn't sure how to respond initially....but with your recent comments, I will relay a story about a conversation my sisters and I had with my Dad when we were teens.

After asking him how he would feel if we dated someone who was considered a minority. He said "I would be upset" and we were shocked! We had not been raised to believe that any one human being was any different from another for any reason whatsoever. He then went on to explain that life is hard enough to tackle without having to add to it the prejudices of society.

I suspect your Dad is trying to protect you from any pains that might result from other peoples opinions. I would never recommend that you not follow your parents wishes, assuming your best interest is at heart.

Crochet away at home...be patient...the world is in evolution...and learn what you can online. Crocheting does take guts!...and by the way, my 16 year old nephew wants me to show him how to do it, next time he comes over...so...you're not alone my friend!

Crochet/guts, keep going! I think it's awsome that you crochet.

As for the upstate thing, I grew up about 40 minutes north of "the city" and I remember when we vaca's in florida, someone asked me if I had ever seen trees before. I think I was 10 at the time. Sigh.

Now, I am close to the central/northern ny border and laugh at orange county ppl who say they're from upstate.

Hi I'm from "upstate NY" 60 miles north of Albany in washington co. I think it's great that you crochet! If a woman like carpentry no one says anything!! Keep crocheting and good for you. Someday take you Dad to the crochet dude site! There are lots of men that crochet. Hey my husband likes to bake pies. Now if I could just get him to clean his mess up after baking I'd be all set!!

I get that alot. I feel the my masculinity shows alot in my work. It isnt as if i make bright pink sweaters to wear out in opublic. Thats mainly why i crochet blankets. Im afraid isf i make a garment soomone will ask were i got it from

Congrats to you on your choice :cheer, if it makes you feel any better I just took up Archery on top of my crocheting hobby.

Hi Ladies:

I don't know if Delaware county is upstate or not all I know I live here and its 4 hours aways from NYC and well I live in cow and dairy country.

Now soon we will be moving to chanengo county to a town called Sherburne. NY but any ways this is country to me so its like I'm in a whole new part of NY/ I know way Up North is up state too... LIke up at the North Pole NY lovely place up there too..

So any ways if any one is near Sherburne let me know. I know one of the ladies in this forum is in Oxford which is not far from Sherburne.

I know what you mean about the "upstate" thing. I find my unsure of what to call where I live. I grew up on Long Island and recently moved to Orange County, NY. Everyone from "home" refers to it as upstate....but to me it doesn't feel like upstate. I spent my summers at my grandparents lakehouse in the Adirondacks and went to college in Plattsburgh. Now that's upstate! I've tried saying I live in the Hudson Valley Region, you should see the looks I get then. My friends respond with "No Jen, you live upstate." I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Crochet/guts, tell your Dad that crocheting requires creativity and math skills. And besides, if someone sees you in the craft store, they are obviously in there for something crafty too! So who's gonna tell?! Sounds like Dad is more insecure than you are, just be you, if people can't respect that than tough c@#p.

Kim

To those of us who live on the part of the state that is surrounded by water, and is only connected by a few bridges and ferries, (aka Long Island), EVERYTHING is upstate, except maybe NYC. :lol

In the rest of the state, when using the phrase "upstate NY, " everything is relative.

Examples: Hubby hunts in Delaware County...not upstate if you are from Binghamton or Buffalo. FootballSon goes to school in the Finger Lakes area...not upstate if you are from Rochester or Plattsburgh. But we on Long Island are definintely "downstate" from the whole rest of the state! :yes

crochetingtakesguts.... tell your Dad it's a good way to meet girls and besides girls dig guys who are sensative and creative... I was reading a story of a group of College Boys from California who not only crochet- they recently went to another country to teach the women there to crochet to give them the opportunity to make a living...

I'm from Oswego County about 10 miles south of Lake Ontario... I was born and raised within 50 miles of where I live now...

Archived