Sock Madness!

sarasara

I LOVE them! I have had a sock pattern book for about a year a still haven't tried to make a pair! Hopefully this winter I will have the courage! Your are great!

Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone! Haven't had second sock syndrome yet, because crocheting goes so much faster than the knitting I'm used to! :hook

bxnyrgirl - sock yarn is usually fingering weight yarn that is often wool blend of some kind reinforced with nylon, but not usually stretchy (although you can find some with elastic in it occasionally). Some manufacturers make yarn specifically for socks, and the nylon makes it more durable since socks get a lot of wear.

breeze530 - Yes, I also knit socks and use double-pointed needles, mainly because that's how I learned to do it and it's what I'm comfortable with. It takes lots of practice to get the hang of it, but once you catch on you don't even think about all those other pointy needles everywhere. :) How do knit socks compare with crocheted? Well, I haven't worn the crocheted socks very long so can't testify to durability. They are just as comfortable as my knit ones, though, and a bit warmer. Also, crocheting socks takes less than half the time to knit them, which I am very happy about! :clap Still, I love knitting as well as crochet and plan to continue knitting socks due to the unique textures and stretchiness that can be achieved. Each has its advantages and challenges. :yarn

tiffylu7 - I didn't match the gauge on the Joan's socks, either. I used RH SS and a size G hook. I did the ribbing for the cuff until it was long enough to fit around my leg in the right place. So much for a gauge swatch! :blush Then, I just did the rest of the sock from that point. When you decrease for the foot, make sure you end up with about 1/2 the number of stitches you started out with. When you decrease for the toe and heel, aim for ending up with about half of the foot stitches (1/4 of the starting number of stitches) for each. Does that make sense? May not sound very technical, but those are basic sock construction proportions and generally work very well. I hope this helps. :)

tiffylu7 - I didn't match the gauge on the Joan's socks, either. I used RH SS and a size G hook. I did the ribbing for the cuff until it was long enough to fit around my leg in the right place. So much for a gauge swatch! :blush Then, I just did the rest of the sock from that point. When you decrease for the foot, make sure you end up with about 1/2 the number of stitches you started out with. When you decrease for the toe and heel, aim for ending up with about half of the foot stitches (1/4 of the starting number of stitches) for each. Does that make sense? May not sound very technical, but those are basic sock construction proportions and generally work very well. I hope this helps. :)

i'll try that out. the thing is, the socks are a gift, and i'm not quite sure what size her feet are... i wear an 8 1/2 so i guess if i base it on my feet, that should be average enough, right? cross your fingers for me!

Gran, I used a size F hook on the toe-up socks made from sock yarn. A lot of the sock patterns I've found called for D, E or F hooks. I tend to crochet a bit tight, and the F hook worked fine for me. If I were knitting with the same yarn, I'd use needle sizes 1 or 2. :)

• 2 months later...

Wow!! Your socks came out really nice!! (I downloaded Joan's sock pattern some time ago, but never got around to it!!)!! After seeing yours, I must give it a try!! :hook

Those socks are wonderful! I really must try a crocheted sock pattern ... I want to try making socks so much that I bought a knitted socks pattern book and a set of double-pointed sock knitting needles ... and I can't knit LOL! That was before I found out that it is possible to crochet them ... one of these days ....

oooh...beautiful socks! :cheerI bought the softest microfiber yarn that I want to use for making myself some socks, which I've never done before. I was planning on knitting them, but since I'm a baby knitter, maybe I'll try crochet first since I'm more comfortable with it in order to learn the basics of how it works before trying to knit them. Or does it not work that way (:thinkis knitting socks a totally different 'process')?

i'm so impressed... have yet to try my first pair of socks, and looking at how well they all turn out, and how comfy!! i've been inspired :)

ps... does anyone have a great online pattern available/linkable? there are a lot to choose from and i'd love to work on one that's someone's favorite :D

thanks for showing us crochet socks. i am trying to do them in knit with pointed needles and am NOT having fun!!!!! i am going to try to crochet them. did I mention this is my first knit project!!! can anyone say crazy!!!!

Archived