'organised' scrap yarn patterns?

perigrine

Question

How do?

The other day I uh..accidentally came home with a pile of yarn from the op shop. Most of it is partly used balls, but with some full. All acrylic, all 8ply (ok, except for that one ball of 12ply)

I was hoping to make a scrap item, but not one thats really...scrappy...if you know what I mean. Nothing with a million granny squares to be sewn together. I'm leaning toward an afghan of some sort.

What items would you recommend that will be able to use these balls up, but in an organised sort of way? I was thinking of maybe a ripple afghan, with black separating the colors, but not knowing how much black I have, well, I don't want to start something that I can't finish/will have to buy more black for.

TIA

12 answers to this question

I think that is the fun in making a scrap anything. The not knowing how it will turn out and what you have is what you have for that project ya know?

I think that is the fun in making a scrap anything. The not knowing how it will turn out and what you have is what you have for that project ya know?

oh..I couldn't....no no no...:eek I guess I am not a true blue scrappy crocheter. :blush

organize the balls into color groups, using 2 strands and a large hook make a shading effect by changing the color as one runs out like it is fading into the next color. i think there is a link somewhere amd they called it the picasso effect. let me see if i can find the post..thanks for the rescue/// i knew someone would find it...wrong name .right idea..

You could always just do a ripple and move from one color to the next in a sort of rainbow pattern. That would work either in a round or rectangular ripple afghan. You could even do one worked in two strands where you work one row in color A & B, then the next in B & C, etc.

organize the balls into color groups, using 2 strands and a large hook make a shading effect by changing the color as one runs out like it is fading into the next color. i think there is a link somewhere amd they called it the picasso effect. let me see if i can find the post

Oh, I like that idea. I'll go look too. :clap

See, it doesn't really matter that much if it's dc rows, ripples, or granny squares. Just line the yarns up in a pleasing order, and enjoy what you are making. All my crochet is now "happy crochet" or I don't do it. It's your creation, so have fun!

Real Deal

I'm like you...I have to have some sort of structure and guidance to work from.:blush That's why I saved this link when someone put it up with pics of their project. Hope this helps!

I'm like you...I have to have some sort of structure and guidance to work from.:blush That's why I saved this link when someone put it up with pics of their project. Hope this helps!

oh, yes, I like that one too...I wonder how many partly used balls of yarn I have floating around...:think thanks for the link!

Archived