question re: cardigan pattern

Reba

Question

Sorry I'm posting so many questions--the crochet bug's bitten me again, and I actually want to do PROJECTS, instead of just randomly crocheting rectangles.

I was inspired by a post I saw on the show-and-tell board, and am trying to make this cardigan. I'm having trouble with reading part of the pattern, though (pattern reading is NOT my area of expertise :P)

Row 12 instructions go like this:

Row 12 Rep row 10-52 (56, 58, 62) sts. Work even in pat for 7 more rows.

What does "work even in pat for 7 more rows" mean? I would think it means, in the context of hte pattern, to work rows 2 and 3 several times? Do I just work row 2-3-2-3-2-3-2? And what are the (WS) and (RS)'s in the pattern, and what's t-ch mean?

GAAAAAH! I'm losing my mind! Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

2 answers to this question

Let's see if I can help you.

Row 12 Rep row 10-52 (56, 58, 62) sts. Work even in pat for 7 more rows. What does "work even in pat for 7 more rows" mean? I would think it means, in the context of hte pattern, to work rows 2 and 3 several times? Do I just work row 2-3-2-3-2-3-2? And what are the (WS) and (RS)'s in the pattern, and what's t-ch mean?

Yes, I think it means work rows 2-3-2-3-2-3-2 and then go on to row 20. WS means wrong side of the garment, and RS means right wide. T-ch means turning chain (you made a ch-3 as the first dc in the previous row and now when you reach it at the end, you use the third chain as the last dc to make your last stitch for the row.)

I hope I helped!

Work even in pattern usually means to continue working the established pattern for a set number of rows, in this case 7. So however you work row 12 is how you continue for the next 7 rows, if the pattern is 2 or 3 rows wide then you would repeat however many rows necessary to maintain the pattern. This is what I have always understood it to mean, this is usually a knitting term rather than crochet.

Archived