crochetdiva

How do you test for wool?

I am felting a purse, and I am unable to tell if the skein of yarn I am using is wool. The label is long gone, but it feels similar to the other wool I am using. Is there any way to test to see if it is acrylic or wool, or do I have to go and buy another ball (that would suck since I only need a small amount)?

Is there any way you can just go to the store and look at the skein's label?

Also, maybe snip a piece of your yarn to take to the store with you to see if the yarn matches the one in the store.

I actually read about this somewhere. I'll have to think on it, but it had something to do with taking a piece of the yarn and lighting the end with a match. I believe that if it is acrylic it will melt and if it is wool it will burn slightly.

Oops, here I found this on the internet, it was what I was thinking of!

There are at least two ways of telling if your yarn is wool or acrylic.

1) take a tiny snip of yarn, light it with a match. If it smells like burning hair, it's wool. If it smells like plastic, it's acrylic.

2) put a few inches of yarn in a small jar of chlorine bleach. If it's wool it will dissolve. If it is acrylic it won't. If it is a blend, it will look like part of it has dissolved.

I was going to say the same thing... acrylic will melt when heated.

Natural fiber will burn, synthetic will melt. If it burns, it doesn't mean it's wool, just that it is not a synthetic.

Burning the wool yes I never thought of that. I think though my fella would love to burn my wool lol. we might be able to get into the spare room if he did. I won`t tell him about this thread lol. especially when bonfire night will be upon us soon. xxxxx

Thanks everyone! I will try both methods...fire and bleach. I think it is Merino wool that I got at Michaels, and it kind of looks like the other Merino wool I have, but another color. On the other hand it might be some I got from the Salvation Army, and they take their labels off, so I wouldn't know what it was. Fingers crossed that it is wool tho.:)