Help with guage!

hookedoncrochet

Question

Probably a stupid question but I seem to be having some trouble with guage on a lot of my work... I have learned to check it before diving in but it is much more difficult for me to meet the guage requirements for the number of rows per inch than the number of stiches....Can someone give me some advice? When I change hook sizes my rows are closer to guage but than my stiches are off...which one is better to sacrifice - stiches or rows?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers to this question

I have the same problem with row gauge. I usually sacrifice the rows and make sure the correct stitch gauge. You can always add rows at the end if you need something to be longer.

Renee,

Thanks for the advice....I actually started the sweater again with a hook 2 sizes bigger than they recommended...the motiffs - which are 8 7inch granny squares are now the right size...yeah!:cheer

But ...and you knew that was coming.......I still can't get the basket pattern (connect 4 motiffs and then construct the upper back of the sweater) to the right guage....using the larger hook size my stich count is over the guage but my row count is still under the guage.....:(.....who dreams these things up?:devil....

I am going to take your advise and let the rows go and meet the stitch guage....I can add the extra rows!

I'll keep you posted if I ever finish!

Archived