Problem with Dot's Sweetness pattern--help?

Reba

Question

OK, I have a problem with Dot's Sweetness hat pattern--I think the problem is with the way I'm inserting the hook back around the TC, but I was hoping if I described it to you guys you could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I took some pictures of what I'm doing, in case those might help.

I start out with this (just ignore my puffin pajamas :lol):

crochetproblem1.JPG

And then I insert the hook behind the previous tc (am I doing this right?).

crochetproblem2.JPG

And then, when I insert my hook into the stitch, I have 5 stitches on the hook, which is 1 more than I need for tc! Like this:

crochetproblem3.JPG

I'm sure I'm missing something really easy, but I've been at this for like 45 minutes, and I can't figure it out! Of course, that might be because it's 11:30PM. . . oops.

And the REALLY frustrating part of all this is that, for the first 1/4 of the row, I was doing fine! I always do that, I'll get like halfway done with the project, and within the space of a second it's like "Ooops. . . forgot how to tc!"

4 answers to this question

Hi Reba, try this:

yarn over hook 2 times, insert hook in the skipped stitch (just like you've done), then yarn over hook 1 time and pull yarn through the stitch, then (yarn over hook and pull through 2 loops) 3 times. I hope is said this right. It's 3:20 and I'm a little sleepy eyed.

Worked like a charm, thanks! I thought you might want to see how it turned out, so here it is (I'm still going add a pom-pom to the top, if I can find my darned pom-pom maker).

crochethat1.jpg

Hope you got some nice shut-eye!

*looks for the pompom maker* Arrrgh, I'm always so disorganized! LOL I'll find it eventually. I just kind of made up the trim as I went along, doing sc along the bottom rim of the hat and then curving upwards until I met the crown. I thought it needed a splash of color, since the color I used was kinda blah. And sure you can add my pic to the hall of fame pics, thanks so much!

Archived