T's Hat

librarycat513

My husband wanted me to make him a hat, so I did.

TsHat02.jpg

Here's the hat. I used 2 different shades of brown, with a terracotta brim. The yarn I used was from the 70s, which I thought was a stitch (so I guess you could say the hat is old and new :D)

TsHat01.jpg

And here I am modeling the hat. Blech. I swear I slept last night, even if it doesn't look it.

Now I know what to look for next time I'm on :ebay. Older yarns have some of the funnest colors.

Thanks everyone for such nice compliments :c9 .

It's a great hat. Nice to see a face to a name (old holiday exchange pal)!

Hi! I hope things have been going good for you. Can you believe it's almost holiday time again? :eek Where did the time go? :think

That looks great! I love the graded colors and the brim is perfect!

I also have a stash of 70's colors. There's only so many things you can make with burnt orange, but at least it is wool.

Thank you again for the nice words.

CrochetDad, thank you! Those simple words made my day for some reason.

Joanieponytail, yes he did like it very much. He know about it about halfway through (I kept making him try it on) and he dictated how the brim should be as I worked on it.

To everyone that asked, well I started out with a pattern - "Zoom" Hat Pattern. I'll try to explain the changes I made while I was working on it.

I used worsted weight yarn and an H hook in making this hat (the pattern called for DK weight and a 4.00mm hook) I crochet tightly though (in case anyone else wants to try this, so you might want to go down a hook size)

I followed the directions, omitting an increase (I basically went from round 11 to 13, skipping round 12 in order to get a circumference of approx. 22")

For rounds 13 - 22 (which are now 12 - 21) I omitted a round (so now we're 12 - 20). 23 - 34 become 21 - 31 (again I omitted a round).

For the brim of the hat, when I changed colors, I crocheted round 35 ( now 32) and then added a row of sc around (33). Then ...

ROUND 34 - *1sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc* around

ROUNDS 35/36 - 1sc around

ROUND 37 - *1sc in next 5 sc, 2sc in next sc* around

38/39 - 1sc around

40 - *1sc in next 6sc, 2sc in next sc* around

41-44 - 1sc around

If that's too confusing, let me know and I'll try to explain it better. Somehow.

Hi! I hope things have been going good for you. Can you believe it's almost holiday time again? :eek Where did the time go? :think

Things are going good over here. I just became an auntie AGAIN yesterday so am excited about that.

Hope things are going well for you too!

Don't remind me it is almost time for the holidays. I feel like I need to start shopping now. Yikes!

Looks like your hat is a hit! Again, great job.

Archived