Crochet tools I can't do without....

While crocheting my 8 pocket tote & designing a hook roll I'd like to make (used two zippered CD cases found in dollar store, I use one for the steel hooks and one for shorter aluminum ones. Took plastic CD pockets out of cases, glued felt on inside and added crocheted strips to hold the hooks), I thought about all the new crocheters joining up and how long it took me to discover all the little doo dads I just couldn't do without now.

I thought it might be fun and informative if we wrote down the things we use to make our crochet time easier and more efficient...

Other than hooks, yarn/thread and patterns.

-safety pins - for stitch markers on small projects Recently learned to make my own fancy beaded ones

-stitch holders- the kind used by knitters when cabling. I use the large ones to hold all my grannies daughters and small squares together, they hold alot when you put them through the corners of the squares. I also use the small ones as stitch markers on very large projects.

-small ruler - to measure small pieces & squares or blocks

-automatic tape ruler- for large things

-pencil with eraser- invaluable for making notations in margins of patterns

-magnifying glass (flexible full page size)- to read small print or examine pics when pattern not working out, can often detect cause of error this way.

-Metal board with magnetic strips- hold pattern down and great for keeping track of rows when using graphs

-I am a hand and finger winding person, but have been considering a ball winder. Finally got one and I love it, what used to take days is now done in hours. No more rolling balls falling on floor or getting stuck in coffee cans I used to use to hold them. And the cakes are pull skeins too....

-scotch tape or other tape that is not too sticky- many yarns unravel when cut, this will keep the end of the leftovers from creating havoc in your stash.

-book mark or postems tabs- to mark your place when using patterns in mags or books, I used to fold over corners, a big NO NO when planning on keeping book as an heirloom or collectible (Regular postems are good too, especially if you want to put a note on the pattern)

-Nut pick- use it as a pick when using thin yarn and need to frog, also good for the heavier fuzzy yarns. Many times while frogging a stitch just won't come out, armed with my magnifier and a pick I can usually get it worked out without having to cut and knot.

-plastic page protector- all my loose pages (like internet copies) are in page protectors. It makes it easier when filing them in my binders, and keeps the pages neat and crisp and clean. Also preserves them longer.

I have a binder on my desk where I keep all the patterns for my WIP and WIM patterns. When I travel I can just take the page out, protector and all, stick it in the bag with the yarn, and not worry about crumpling or tearing the pattern.

-strong sewing thread and needle-when sewing pieces together and not wanting the extra bulk added by sewing with yarn.

-Yarn needle- for those times you need to sew with yarn

-small sharp scissor- I use regular scissor at home, but the folding type (attached to tote) when transporting my projects.

-empty medicine bottles with safety cap- used to hold my needles and thread spool, especially great around small children who like to dig through things, and to keep track of when old like me, no thread spools rolling off table and unwinding, and no needles disappearing in yarn stacks.

Also good for those little things like safety pins and folding scissors. Or buttons.

I donate most of my med bottles to the vet (keeps the cost down on pet meds) but keep any of the big ones for my crafts.

-Originally used old shopping bags to hold it all when on the move, then upgraded to a tote, but now to keep more organized, I am in love with the 8 pocket tote (a CAL on crochetville). This is the last but certainly not least tool.

No need to run out and gather all this stuff, but as you become more proficient in crochet, or run across a problem, hopefully this and any other posts will help you along.

My list:

1. My crocheted hook case from Priscilla Hewitt's pattern - a must have

In that case:

• A folding ruler

• Embroidery scissors

• Small, orange handled scissors

• Knit-chek (silver metal one)

• Gauge guide

• several yarn needles

• pad of paper and a pencil

• a set of Bates hooks in a vinyl case, E-J

• several Boye hooks, usually two Gs, an H, I and a few steel hooks (this is not my full hook collection, lol!)

• Split ring stitch markers

• Bobby pins to use as stitch markers and to use as place holders when I put my work down so I can put my hooks back into their cases and not lose them.

[*]Several good tote bags for my yarn/projects. I also just bought a tall hamper with a lid from Kmart to keep multiple projects in in the living room and you can't see the yarn mess and the yarn stays clean.

[*]Hand lotion - my hands get dry if I crochet for a long time, especially with a synthetic yarn.

[*]A "natural daylight" lamp - My mother bought one cheap for me at Big Lots, but it makes a huge difference in being able to see stitches.

[*]Spandex wrist support gloves - I got mine at the drugstore in the Ace bandage section. Much cheaper than the Hand-eez kind they sell just to crafters, and they work great. I also have the Ace brand wrist braces (like for tennis players) for when my hands aren't hurting, but my wrists are. They are really helpful.

[*]A sturdy basket for beside my chair to hold my books and patterns for when I'm not using them, but don't want to put them up on the bookshelf just yet.

*Surfboard wax-- i use this to polish my hooks to keep them smooth. i rub the wax on, then polish it off.

*Soft cloth-- to polish off the wax.

*Tiny pair of bandage scissors-- they are 3 inches long, the end is blunt, perfect for trimming.

*Crochet Pocket Guide-- i never know when i'll need a refresher on a stitch. ( http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/Leaflets/Leisure_Arts/LA_56005_pocket_guide )

*Large safety pin-- to hook on a loop so i'm not accidently pulling stitches out of a project when i'm not working with it.

*Post-it notes-- to keep track of where i am in a pattern.

*Pen-- for any sort of notes i need to make.

nail file (for sudden rough edges)

dog treats (to keep him on the floor!)

my chinese satin folding wastebasket--very pretty and portable--holds the yarn and project i'm working on

my list

my hook case with all my hooks

scissors

needle

post it notes

pen/pencil

my hook tags to use when the ghan is not being worked on and so i know what hook size i used

stitch markers sometimes

my pattern of course if needed(graph ghans)

something to drink so i can keep hooking and not get up lol

i also have a pencil sharpener in my bag

a tape measure

my "made by" labels so that when im done i can tag my ghan and be done and have it ready to go.

i think thats it unless you throw in a cat or two that likes to climb in my lap as im working at least they are good about going under the blanket no right in the middle of it.

Oooops, I forgot about my wrist braces, thanks for the reminder. I like the emery board/nail file suggestion (I keep them at sewing table, but never thought of putting one in my crochet bag) and the wax too!! :applause

Add to the above listings - cat toys to keep the little critters busy if they just ignore your hints to NOT help you with your project!:heehee:cat

Squeaks only goes after things that roll, like the balls of yarn, not the skeins. But he loves to play with the thread crochet, when they hit the floor they roll real good.

I always have:

wax paper

ice water

scissors (usually)

my envelope sized embroidered make up bag with my gloves, needles for ends, nail file, mini scissors. This way it's all together so I can grab it an go.

I'll wipe my hooks down with the wax paper and dip them in my ice water. It seems to set the wax and they stay smooth longer than just rubbing them down.

In addition to what's already been listed -a large ziplock bag. One for supplies (hook, pattern, yarn, needle, scissors, stuffing, etc). And one for finished pieces (especially with stuffed animals). I have little ones that will run off with anything they can get their hands on. The ziplocks really cut down the number of lost items.

hehehe The red tabby girl cat I had for 13 years was named Squeaky, mainly because she didn't ever quite get the "meow" thing down until her later years; instead, she had a little "squeak".

Enjoy your kitty-baby!

All the previous items are wonderful and I pack most of them in my bag - but the one INDISPENSIBLE tool that I have to have and bought a couple just incase I misplace one is this ~ click on the link, I have only ever been able to find this exact one thru Patternworks -

http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/300168.htm

It is a dental tool on one end and a steel crochet hook on the other - it is very fine & 2 tools in one - and helps to pick up stitches, sort out tangles (especially in thread projects) and poke holes in fleece and towels for edging row and topper row set up on the go when I don't have the edgerydoo with me! On towel toppers it is great cuz I can poke the hole with the one end and then flip it and pull thru my yarn for my foundation row stitch all in one step and then get on with the crocheting of the topper quickly!

My crocheting friends (and knitting) like it so much that they hint for it on their Christmas lists and such - I have given many as gifts:manyheart

hehehe The red tabby girl cat I had for 13 years was named Squeaky, mainly because she didn't ever quite get the "meow" thing down until her later years; instead, she had a little "squeak".

Enjoy your kitty-baby!

Same reason we named him squeaks, :lol. He is an orange tabby. He still doesn't really meow. His meow sounds like "Hello".

All the previous items are wonderful and I pack most of them in my bag - but the one INDISPENSIBLE tool that I have to have and bought a couple just incase I misplace one is this ~ click on the link, I have only ever been able to find this exact one thru Patternworks -

It is a dental tool on one end and a steel crochet hook on the other - it is very fine & 2 tools in one - and helps to pick up stitches, sort out tangles (especially in thread projects) and poke holes in fleece and towels for edging row and topper row

And I thought my nut picker was the "cat's meow", :lol. Very good tool, it is going on my wish list for christmas.

Enjoy your kitty-baby!

You made me think of a cat my parents had once, whose meow sounded like some sort monkey call. In a quietish nasal voice say "mur hah hah hah", and you know what he sounded like.

Then there was their first lilac Siamese, who sounded like a nasal foghorn. Loudly announced his presence.

The lilac Siamese they have now sounds like a squeak toy. Sounds like someone squeezed her too hard lol.

In addition to my hooks,

#1 with a bullet is my tape measure...

#2 is my leopard printed handled embroidary scissors and leopard printed shears (Ginghars)

#3 pad and pen (and I do mark on my patterns and books...*gasp*)

I do use page protectors in a binder, but usually when I'm using the pattern, it's out of the page protector...if I feel the need to use a stitch marker I use scrap yarn...I hand wind...I did buy a yarn winder once, but for me it just felt like alot of extra work, and when I read in the HHSNB book how to wind a ball to drawn yarn from the middle I gave up my winder to a cousin who loves the winder...so we are both happy.

I use #5 pencil cases to hold my hooks usually...one's in leopard print (yes, I have a theme going) and

I have #6 one book shelf (not one shelf within a book shelf, one whole book shelf of several shelves) in the living room that holds all my books and patterns and odds and ends. I keep outgrowing boxes and totes for my projects, one thing that seems to work is to take each project and put them in a reusable shopping bag...

I want and really need a better lamp that's just for me to work under...but I'm gonna hold off on that until I move back to the states.

Oh, one other thing, #7 a ruler for following a graph...

#8 needles...

i have to say, as a fairly new crocheter, thanks for these great ideas! surf wax? i would have never thought of that. although, where would i be able to find it in texas? (online, i suppose! where else!)

my invaluables are:

**safety pins to mark stitches

**a nail file as said before...my nails split ALOT, so i seem to snag alot.

**my small pair of craft scissors

**a pencil cup to keep all my hooks at arm's reach

**yarn needles, i buy them "in bulk" so no matter how fast they get lost i always have one

**my "nightstand" which is a rolling drawer cart, to keep my yarn stash (or parts of it) organized, with my WIPs in the top drawer for easy access.

i still need to get a 3 ring binder and lots and lots of sheet protectors. my printed patterns are all oooooover the place!

My list of stuff.

~crochet hook case i got from lewiscraft years ago.

~post it note flags. I use these to keep track of my place in a pattern. Especially if it's a complicated pattern

~thread snippy things. great for snipping yarn. I've had these for at least 15 years, and I think it's time for a new pair!

~small safety pins for keeping count of stitches

I'm happy that the flags, the snips and the safety pins all can fit in the crochet hook case, all zipped up so they wont' get lost. Also I've got in there two plastic yarn needles, for weaving in ends. I did have 2 metal yarn needles, that were perfect. I find that the plastic ones bend and break. But the metal ones were awesome. They are kinda slippery and had a hard time keeping them in the case. Now, they're around the house somewhere........

1. my plastic little needle case (it came with needles, I've added some.) Now-- if I don't lose the case--I know where my yarn needles are supposed to be.

2. Fray Check. for securing thready knots/fraying yarn. Also if I'm making cupcake's geckos (etc) I can use it to turn the end of the thread into a temp bead needle!

3. water (for drinking)

4. My hooks (obviously)

5. My little discount store scissors that are 10 years old, and the best scissors in the house!

6. retractable tape measure

7. bags of all kinds for projects. (small one for small threadies, bigger one for totables, big one for sweaters etc (whatever takes a lot of yarn), sm gift bag ($ store) for big threadies (like doilies) and a big tote for serious take alongs (like camping for the weekend...comeon I need options!)

8. TIME (okay, it's not really a tool, but I forever am looking for time, and take along something almost everywhere...justincase! and it's something I always want more of--time to crochet is therefore an essential for me. I once went on a trip and figured I wouldn't have time to crochet and didn't bring any...I went through withdrawal so bad :P my hands almost twitched! :P:lol

9. that dentist tool! I just looked at it, now I want it!!

1. my plastic little needle case (it came with needles, I've added some.) Now-- if I don't lose the case--I know where my yarn needles are supposed to be.

you just inspired me to go get some tic tacs and use their empty case to hold my needles!

i have to say, as a fairly new crocheter, thanks for these great ideas! surf wax? i would have never thought of that. although, where would i be able to find it in texas? (online, i suppose! where else!)

my invaluables are:

**safety pins to mark stitches

**a nail file as said before...my nails split ALOT, so i seem to snag alot.

**my small pair of craft scissors

**a pencil cup to keep all my hooks at arm's reach

**yarn needles, i buy them "in bulk" so no matter how fast they get lost i always have one

**my "nightstand" which is a rolling drawer cart, to keep my yarn stash (or parts of it) organized, with my WIPs in the top drawer for easy access.

i still need to get a 3 ring binder and lots and lots of sheet protectors. my printed patterns are all oooooover the place!

A piece of a white candle would work also. It's just in my experience the surfboard wax seems to keep things smoother longer. I just pick up a block at a beach shop whenever we go to a beach. I bought some last week on vacation, $1 per block.

And I thought my nut picker was the "cat's meow", :lol. Very good tool, it is going on my wish list for christmas.

That is too funny - any yeah if you do put it on the list - ask for 2! As they can get lost REAL easy in a seat cushion or car - I always make sure one is in my "to go" tote and one at home with most of my tools - just in case!:D

A piece of a white candle would work also. It's just in my experience the surfboard wax seems to keep things smoother longer. I just pick up a block at a beach shop whenever we go to a beach. I bought some last week on vacation, $1 per block.

thanks! i'll try that!

• 2 weeks later...

It is a dental tool on one end and a steel crochet hook on the other - it is very fine & 2 tools in one - and helps to pick up stitches, sort out tangles (especially in thread projects) and poke holes in fleece and towels for edging row and topper row set up on the go when I don't have the edgerydoo with me! On towel toppers it is great cuz I can poke the hole with the one end and then flip it and pull thru my yarn for my foundation row stitch all in one step and then get on with the crocheting of the topper quickly!

My crocheting friends (and knitting) like it so much that they hint for it on their Christmas lists and such - I have given many as gifts:manyheart

You may be very surprised to hear this lol: When i clicked on the link in your post, i instantly recognized the tool as something else lol. We have the EXACT same instrument at work (i work in surgery)! It's called a vein hook there, and we use it during surgery for varicose vein procedures. We use the hook end to 'hook' the veins we're working on.:lol

Archived