Q-HOOK

kahud48

I Q-hooked a scarf with about 5 different strands of homespun and 10 different strands of eyelash yarn. I just made one large chain. I came up with the My Mystery Scarf.

I just recently used my Q-hook to make an assymetrical poncho. I did double crochet in the backloops only and crocheted a rectangle and then joined them.

Quite honestly, I hate what I made with the Q-hook. The pattern was the 5 1/2 hour afghan from Lion Brand, I think, and it was made with three 4-ply worsted yarns. I think the holes are too big and the yarn is too loose. My daughter is constantly pulling the loops and although it's finished and even been washed a few times because of how long I've had it, I think about frogging the sucker everyday! I liked the fact that it worked up in no time, though, so I'd use the Q-hook again but I, too, would love a different pattern.

I LOVE using my Q hook!! I like for things to work up quickly since I don't have a whole lot of crochet time. I recently found a S hook but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I made the summer shrug for my mom, but of course I had to try it on first and I love it and plan on making one for me. It worked up in no time, the cuffs to a little time to figure out the pattern but after you get through the first one the second is alot easier.

I have the N---P---Q---K needles, and I have searched high and low for things to make that look nice. The patterns that are out there just are not suiting my fancy.

I did make up one of my own that I use the thickest yarn I can find to do it with. this way I just use one strand, and it does look a bit nicer than patterns I am running accross.

What I do is (sometimes, I use the N or P depends on yarn thickness) Chain a row as long or as wide as I want the afgan to be. (don't know the multiple--still learning how to figure that) Then turn and proceed to do 2 singles in first 2 chains (after you skip the first ch).(first sc in second ch from end)

This would be a start of 3-sc. Then 3-dc in next three. Then 3-sc in next 3 accross.

Ending row with 3-sc. Then I chain 3, turn, and then just do dc's in top of the sc's, and proceed accross with sc's in top of dc's, Alternet rows ending in 3-dc's.

Sometimes I just do chain 2 for the dc at begining of row's where I start with the three dc's (one ch-2, then the two dc's)

NOTE: I also do each stitch in back row for a bit of stand out wavy ripple look.

These do up pretty fast, and look nice, but it has been all that I can come up with. Making these all the time can get a bit boreing.

Basically:

the first row is----sc--dc--sc--dc--sc--dc--sc (all in multiple of 3)

second row-------dc--sc--dc--sc--dc--sc--dc (all in multiple of 3)

Starting with chain one for first sc in rows with 3 sc's to start,

and chain 2 or 3 for first dc in rows with 3 dc's to start.

Then repeat til desired size.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your patterns. They look like what I have been wanting. The scarves are very pretty.

The rugs caught my eye the most, especially the butterfly.

Would like to try that one first.

I guess rugs would be what I would make the most now with Q.

I had never thought about doing rugs.

Sorry that it's been a few days since I stopped in here, I had lost where it was that I had posted this. Sad, I am so new to the computor and internet, I can get lost in a forum. :lol

Maybe I can find my way back here in a day or 2. The rugs I guess are what I think that I will tackle. Can you do them in something besides material? And where do you find rags that are all ready done up in strips for you?

Her colors in the one rug is so vibrant.

Thank you all, nice collection of real pretty q-hook patterns.

• 4 weeks later...

The very first Q-hook booklet of afghans had some very nice ones in it. If you are interested in doing afghans, let me know and I'll get the name of it. I can then give you a link to some of the afghans that I made (I don't have photos of the actual ghans, just from the pattern). They may also not be to your taste, but at least you'll know, right!?

• 3 months later...

I love working with the Q hook too. I am pretty limited as of what I can make, as I dont crochet really well, but I have made afhans and rugs, and alot of scarves. I ususally use three stands of yarn, whatever, for intresting textures.

For the rugs, I have used old sheets, and tore them into strips, to make the ugs. Its really hard on your hands though...at least it was for me, because the fabric is lots stiffer.

• 2 weeks later...
And where do you find rags that are all ready done up in strips for you?

you should buy a cutting mat and a rotary cutter...look in the quilting section. you can cut up many layers of fabric at once...a little bit of an investment but worth it if you really wanna do rag rugs...

Sorry that it's been a few days since I stopped in here, I had lost where it was that I had posted this. Sad, I am so new to the computor and internet, I can get lost in a forum. :lol

I learned this trick one day just messing around. At the top of the thread/page, there is a blue bar with some tabs on it. If you click on "Thread Tools" the last option is to subscribe to the thread. Click on that and then click "yes" or whatever on the next page that pops up. Every time someone posts, Crochetville sends you an email stating that "so-and-so" has just replied to Q Hook thread....and gives you a link to that thread. That's how I keep track of ones I want to follow.

It's really easy!! Believe me, if *I* can do this - *you* can do this!!! Then when you want to unsubscribe, it's just as easy. I'll tell you that one later so I don't confuse you now.

HTH :hug

oh, and I just got a Q hook pattern by Leisure Arts/Little Books

called Quick & Easy Q hook afghans -- 7 designs (book # 75029)

for about $3?? I'm doing the one on the back cover for my friend who has brain cancer. It's a double strand with 3 colors.

First two rows are sc, (switch colors every two rows) then you do (3 sc, 1 LDC) across ch1, turn sc across. Switch colors, (3 sc, 1 LDC) across ch1, turn sc across. Switch colors, (3 sc, 1 LDC) across ch1, turn sc across.

Super EASY and it looks really good too!! :D

I've done rugs using 4 and 5 strands of yarn. That one is a thich 5 strand done in doubles, but I've done a 4 in singlecrochet as well. It's a great way to use up your stash. lol Well that was back when I had a stash :) I also did an afghan with 2 strands of homespun and a q hook. There was a pattern for it on a free leaflet, but it just told you to do double crochets throughout. The holes are bigger than I like, since I'm the sort that doesn't like holey items..hehehe...but it's warmer than my regular afghans.

I make rugs from my leftovers. I found this on the net about 5 years ago and now I can't find it to give credit, although I've done some modifications.

Simple Instructions for a Round or Oval Rug from scrap yarn

Yarn: 6 or more strands of yarn – just make sure that it's the same type. That is, all wool, or all cotton, or all acrylic. If you’re using all wool and intend to felt the rug, use only 4 strands and crochet loosely. You might consider doing all DC.

Hook: A size to correspond with the thickness of your yarn strands. A Q for example works well with 6 strands of worsted weight.

To make a flat circle, you chain as many as you want (a lot if you want a little hole in the center and fewer if you don't) and connect the first and last chains with a slip stitch. Then, working over the chain into the center of the chained ring, you crochet as many stitches (your choice, sc, dc--whatever) as comfortably fit. Connect first and last stitches with a slip stitch.

Count how many stitches you made into that center ring. That's how many you need to increase each subsequent round.

Example: Say you made 10 sc into the center ring. The 2nd round needs 20 sc--two in each stitch. The 3rd round needs 30 sc-- 2 in one stitch, 1 in the next, then 2 then 1. The 4th round needs 40--2 in one stitch, 1 each in the next 2, repeat. The 5th round needs 50--2 in the first stitch, 1 each in the next 3,

As to doing an oval, just picture a circle cut in half and each half put on each end of a rectangle. So you'll be doing straight crocheting down the long sides of the oval and increasing like a circle on the rounded ends. To start an oval, begin with a chain. In the first stitch, make as many SC as you want into the chain. SC down one side of the chain. In the last chain, SC the same number you did into the first chain. Then SC up the other side of the chain. Slip stitch. Increases for subsequent rounds are made in the ends and not the sides of the starting chain.

Note: If you make a really large rug (my experience is 20+ rounds) you don’t need to increase as much. In fact maintaining the same increasing will make the edges of the rug a bit wavy.

Modification: mix yarn with fabric strips.

I am looking for diferrent from the norm Q-hook patterns.

Are there any Q-hook Crocheters out there?

Most of what I find are just plain ugly.

I really like how Homespun works with a Q hook. The Waterfall afghan on Lion Brand's website is another good Q afghan (Can't get it to link right now for some reason). Also, there is a good book called Quick Crochet, Huge Hooks that looks like it has some good patterns in it.

• 8 months later...

I've made many rugs and afghans with my Q hook....the only advise I'd give is on working the ends in....with the bigger stiches the ends don't stay in so I would advise knotting tightly and clipping close to the knots.

Archived