Sign in to follow this  
Nutsaboutcrochet13

Why does my Stockinette st look like this???

I thought it was normal, but seeing other people's projects I've come to realize that my st st is different! the knit rows look twisted... I know I'm doing the stitches right, but why don't they look uniformed?

Here's my work....

th_misc.pics006.jpg

Click

And what it should look like!

stockinette.jpg

Help?!

Are you turning after each row? Or maybe you are turning the stitches without even knowing it. Are you entering the loop correctly?

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to help. Is there anyway that you can take a picture step by step as you are making it?

This piece is already finished, I'd have to start another piece to show you.

Yes, I'm turning after each row, and I think I'm entering the loop correctly... :think I just googled my problem and found some videos that might help me figure it out.... I can't start my next piece until I get some other things done but I'll tell you how it goes :D

:think You are either knitting into the back of the stitches or winding the yarn in the wrong direction as you knit or purl.

The yarn always goes in an anti-clockwise direction, for knit and for purl.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

you are somehow twisting the stitches

when you look at the sts on your needle each little loop should have the right side of the loop on the side towards you and the left side of the loop going down the backside of the needle, either way you hold it, it should look like that if you are doing stockinette

I was doing the same thing. I was entering the stitch from the wrong way.

This link at knittinghelp.com shows the correct way. Knittinghelp is a great resource to learn. I use it all the time.

I hope this helps!

:clap

I figured it out! The other night I did a sample swatch to try to fix my problem, and I figured out that I was purling in the wrong direction. I tried purling the correct way, but it took longer and it was awkward. So I continued purling the 'wrong way', and on knit rows knit into the back of the stitch, which for me was faster, and this is the result! :D

Before:

th_misc.pics006.jpg <--- Click!

After!

th_IMG_2652.jpg <--- Click!

Thanks so much for all your help, guys! :ghug

are you knitting continental or english or combined style? with the twisting of stitches, and now that you are knitting in a certain loop and purling as you designate the "wrong" way, so long as you get the desired result that's fine. the only "problem" you may encounter is in following patterns. when you get to a "special" stitch, the way you are entering the loops and/or twisting/not twisting the stitches, it could make the pattern stitch turn out wrong. that is the problem with combined knitting style--also in combined knitting style you cannot just knit in the round but rather still must purl in the round because of the way the stitches twist. if you are knitting contintal or english,and the entry loop and the counterclockwise yarn are the same, you can knit every row in the round. maybe you are knitting combined style, which I use for ribbing pretty much exclusively. anyhow, you figured out what you were doing, but it is equally important to learn continental and english, and the combined is a bonus. if you do work a pattern and find that it doesn't work out well, it is because of te loops and twisting/not twisting the stitch as it is worked. hope this makes sense :)

I think that the way you did it was wonderful for the look and texture! You can make plain garments more interesting, and you can call it Nutsaboutcrochet13 stitch :yay

I was doing the same thing. I was entering the stitch from the wrong way.

This link at knittinghelp.com shows the correct way. Knittinghelp is a great resource to learn. I use it all the time.

I hope this helps!

thanks for the link, i joined and i am happy to see a forum board on there!! :)