Crocheting Heresies

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have to ask... Have you found or created a crochet pattern for Jayne's cunning hat? My DH has been asking for one forever, and all I've found are knitting patterns. I'm sure I could figure something out, but no need in re-inventing the wheel if there's already one out there...

Thanks!

I can knit him a hat and trade you for something... I have to hunt up some of that gold yarn though...

I'd use a "standard" pattern for a crochet "stocking" cap, for a bulky yarn (the knit ones are using Lamb's Pride bulky) the top part is "golden" the brim part is "harvest" and the ear flaps are "rust". (take a photo from the net of the hat when yarn shopping... Lions Wool Ease bulky comes in "close enough" colors, but I think the original from the show, is made from the Lambs Pride...)

Remember, Jayne's MUM made it, and sent it to him with a rather harried "farm mom" letter... so if it looks a little thrown together & "homespun" it's PERFECT for this project.

For a Dr Who scarf look at one of the knit patterns, and just single crochet so that the stripes come out the same proportions (generally 1 row of sc will equal 2 rows of knit in the same kind of yarn.). The knit patterns are on the net, though I made one before realizing this, by using several photos of the scarf on the Dr. and sort of going crazy reverse engineering.

If in a moment of insanity, I decide to do another Dr.Who scarf, I will 1) use a pre-existing "cheat sheet" or pattern, and 2) work it in sections to be joined at finishing. (after about 5 feet I was spending as much time WRESTLING with it as actually working on it.)

Back to thread topic:

1) I tie knots,

2) I crochet over my ends... or use the tails for sewing parts together....

3) Granny squares, only very rarely and only using "leftover yarn" I have a bag of varing sized and thickness squares to someday put together as something... maybe. Maybe I should just send them to other people? My first afghan is a giant granny square.

4) I love the fuzzy fluffy, strange yarns... for amigurumi... I work by feel anyway.

5) If I could, I'd make almost everything out of exotic natural fibers... silk, alpaca, bamboo, soy... And the aliens better not abduct me... I'll start badgering them for MORE exotic fibers.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i guess my theory is, if you dont want people to make things, why put them online????either share, or dont. ( or else put an insanely high price on it and feel justified in your pettiness. :lol )

Amen! Seriously...I've seen some "free" patterns where the copyright was soooooo restrictive...I mean to the point where the person might as well have said, "don't even crochet my pattern, even for your own use..."

I weave in my ends as I go, I always have and don't understand why that is considered wrong to do so.

That's the recommended thing to do as far as I know:yes I really try to do that too:D

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have to ask... Have you found or created a crochet pattern for Jayne's cunning hat? My DH has been asking for one forever, and all I've found are knitting patterns. I'm sure I could figure something out, but no need in re-inventing the wheel if there's already one out there...

Thanks!

Here you go:

http://dryope.typepad.com/grove/2006/03/crocheting_jayn.html

Here's some of miine.

I don't get free form crochet.

I'm not sure about round afghans. However I'm probably making my daughter one.

I don't think everything needs a cozy.

Sometimes I'd rather buy than make things. In other words, not all of my daughter's purses are crocheted.

I tie knots.

I don't check gauge very often.

I rarely use the colors in the patterns.

I do like baby colors for babies. I also like non baby colors for babies.

I don't like the words 'frog' and 'ghan'. I rarely use them. I will use 'afghan'.

I don't mind making grannies. Or joining. Or weaving ends.

I rarely buy yarn just because it's on sale or 'pretty'.

Fun fur and eyelash yarn shouldn't be used in every project.

I don't block.

I don't know what brand my favorite hooks are. They were giving to me by my ex's grandmother years ago and I'm just used to them so I use them. I never remember to look what they are.

I think we need a thread called the ugliest crochet, :rofl. I never saw any crochet I thought was ugly, a little gawdy maybe or too something or another, but ugly seemed kind of harsh. Now that I have seen these heads, I have to admit that a baby head without a body does seem creepy.

PS: I don't crochet a gauge piece, but I do measure to make sure I am keeping gauge if I want the project to match the patterns dimensions.

And I tie knots and weave in ends as I go.

Ok here's mine:

I hate crocheted things that look crocheted (ack! did I say that?)

I don't like granny squares, but I will crochet "motifs" that you join as you go

I knit and crochet, but crocheting is more fun and faster!

I tie knots! After all that work I don't trust just a woven in end.

I weave in as I go if possible

I hate thick heavy crochet fabric that doesn't drape.

What is the purpose of those round afghans??

What's the purpose of a toliet paper cozy? You NEVER see a knitted one.

What's the purpose of this little doll things everyone is making?

And then we have this one... wayyyy past creepy...

http://whatnottocrochet.wordpress.com/2007/03/09/bonnie-belinda-accessories/

Now that is officially weird...why would you do that?! If I were that girl, I would have cried in fear as soon as my mommy showed it to me!

The purpose of a TP cozy is to maintain a genteel home environment while being efficient in the keeping of supplies in the WC.

The ugly truth is we need TP. The wonderful truth is that crochet means we don't have to look at it all the time. :yes

Underwear is one thing i'll never crochet. Store-bought underwear is bad enough, i'm not going to MAKE something that's physically uncomfortable.

I never make anything out of thread. And i doubt i ever will. The mere thought of it makes my head swim.

I always use knots.

I'll never felt.

Most free form crochet that i've seen does not resemble what the picture is labeled.

Clover hooks are a pain to use.

I don't get the whole bed doll thing.

Knitting vs. Crochet: Can't we all just put our hooks and needles together and get along?

Fun Fur lost the fun as soon as i bought it.

I may not do the elaborate projects or design my own, but that doesn't make me any less a crocheter.

I've really enjoyed reading these. :)

Here are my heresies to add to the list:

- I have a bad habit of not swatching before I start. (You'd think the number of times I've had that bite me in the tush I'd learn :blush )

- I don't mind using red heart for afghans because I like them to be durable and easy to care for.

- I prefer knitting for sweaters, mittens, gloves and socks.

- I don't like round ripple afghans.

- I'm sooooo glad the poncho phase is over since I always thought they were hideous.

- I tie knots.

- I hate homespun, fun fur and most novelty yarns.

- I love kitchy and vintage patterns.

- I love tp covers, tissue box cozies, and really tacky crochet.

*i dont like granny squares, especially ones without a color pattern

*i dont like scrapghans

*i want to felt but i dont know of an animal fiber im not allergic to

*i hate it when people tell me im not allergic to wool, but rather the chemicals

*knit vs. crochet is annoying... i do both but prefer crochet, and when i go into a LYS i make that clear so i know if they're worth my time and money

*i understand crafting can be a dirty business full of copy cats writeing it off as their own, i grew up around craft shows

*i dont swatch unless making clothes (which i havent done yet) or checking out a stitch

*some of the things ive seen crocheted make me cringe

*shrug* My TP is in the cabinet. I don't make it little hats to wear.

They did one on Knitty Gritty - it was in the shape of a sushi roll :( . I thought it was repulsive. Who wants a food item in the bathroom? Some of us actually like sushi.

The purpose of a TP cozy is to maintain a genteel home environment while being efficient in the keeping of supplies in the WC.

The ugly truth is we need TP. The wonderful truth is that crochet means we don't have to look at it all the time. :yes

*clapping* Hear! Hear! Very good assessment. There are worse things in life...

*shrug* My TP is in the cabinet. I don't make it little hats to wear.

They did one on Knitty Gritty - it was in the shape of a sushi roll :( . I thought it was repulsive. Who wants a food item in the bathroom? Some of us actually like sushi.

Now, I love the supposedly tacky crochet (maybe because my house didn't have much of it growing up, but my granny's house did), but I definitely don't want crocheted food in my bathroom.

I have no use for doll heads on the wall (or on a purse or ear muffs). In fact, I have no use for dolls. I will, however, one day make a thread crochet antebellum barbie dress from one of my annie's attic leaflets.

Just for the challenge. And because they are really beautiful. Maybe one day I'll have a girl...

I'm adding this without reading the previous ten pages.

I do not like doilies (ducking.. please don't throw anything)

I've never met a granny square that I like.

I don't like toilet paper covers that are supposed to look like a dress.. I don't like towel toppers.

I really don't like Red Heart... it hurts to crochet with it and my stuff comes out feeling like a board!

I hate joining squares together when they are finished.

I love making purses but hate lining them.

I don't get 'fingerless' gloves.. my fingers are the part that gets coldest!

I hate when people call what I am doing 'knitting' (although I have nothing against knitting, I just don't do it).

It bothers me when someone links to a page just to say how ugly something is.

I'm sure I'll think of other things later!:)

Joan

Archived