Crocheting Heresies

Oh this one is too much fun :hug

I HATE HATE HATE funn fur and fancy fur. Fluffy bits up my nose and into everything - just like cat hair without the benefit of the cat :devil

I hate making granny squares - I love the look of them but hate making them.

I hate a Q hook - tried it once and felt like I was crocheting with a baseball bat.

I tie knots and crochet over my ends whenever possible.

Fringe is only OK if it prevents having to sew in a million ends -like in a scrap blankie where you change colors every couple rows.

I don't block anything - I don't think I ever have :think

I only use a guage when I'm making a wearable - what's the point in a blankie :think

I don't like free form nor do I like felting nor do I like those little stuffed mini critters (ami's ??) that other people seem to love (no offense to anyone who loves these things - they just aren't for me)

Whew that feels good :lol

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.K. I'll play!

I can't Crochet with a Susan Bates hook to save my life so I guess I'll always be a Boye Girl :D

I rarely make a swatch unless it's a strange yarn and I'm not sure of my tension.

I do sometimes make knots but it really depends on what I'm making and what the yarn is.

I haven't used Red Heart Acrylic in years because it scratches my hands and leaves small cuts on my cuticles.

I love Ripple Afghans....each and every one is as uniquely different as the person who made them.

I love to make Granny Squares but I hate to sew them together (note to self ........must try Drew's joining method)

I love patterns but really can't remember the last time I actually followed one. I can usually look at a picture and go from there. Plus, I find most written patterns frustrate me because I find so many errors or what I think is a complicated way of doing a simple thing.

I can't stand fringe on anything.

I can't stand Fun Fur

I too have Crochet ADD. I jump from one project to another and it takes me forever to finish a project.

I am terrible about buying Yarn "I fall in love" with and then I have to find a project that will fit the # of Skeins I have.

I love Doilies but only if they are framed and behind glass as art-work AND I didn't have to crochet them.

I think every child should be given a Hook and Skein of yarn in 3rd grade and be taught to Crochet as a part of "ART" or "Creative Time" class. :hook

I love wool and many of the finer yarns but dispair over the fact I live in a climate where I can never actually enjoy wearing them.

My DH fully understands my love of all things yarn and actually encourages the knitting and crocheting. I can't take him into a Yarn shop, he is worse then me. He picks up beautiful yarns and says "Isn't this nice? What do you think you could make with it?"

I hate working with Homespun but I LOVE the finished product.

I loved RHSS when it was 8 oz. and softer. I use Caron mostly or what I can get under $3. I tie knots, weave ends as I go and love squares/motifs. I crochet them together, no sewing. I don't swatch, check gauge, felt or even like wool. I create my own designs.

Ellie 13

I believe that due to the health benefits of crocheting, we should demand that yarn purchases be tax-exempt.

Yarn is tax exempt in MA, I found that out last week when I was trying to use my tax free card from work and the register wouldnt take it. Since everything was already tax exempt there was no need to take the card...smart register.

I agree with many, including not being able to use susan bates hooks.

Here are some of my secrets:

Projects might go over a year just waiting to have the ends woven in

I start projects not knowing who to give it to, and dont start projects I have in mind for someone

I often set aside projects for a long time

Phew feels good to get it off my chest!

Oh this has been so much fun to read, I gotta get in on this.

I don't swatch or check my gauge. :eek

I get annoyed by yarn snobbery. People, it's just yarn. Don't look down on me for using acrylic, and I won't think you are off your rocker for paying $20.00 for a skein of yarn. :angry

And speaking of snobbery, this whole knit vs crochet thing? Oh my word it chaps my hook! Don't tell me that because the original item was knit (ie: the Doctor Who scarf, or Jayne Cobb's hat from Firefly) that I can't crochet it. Let's see you purl with a N hook shoved up your upturned snozz. :hook

I tie knots and weave in my ends. :eek

Granny squares are an enigma I may never understand. Making one is not in my future.

I don't mind kitchy crochet, even though those doll faces on stuff give me the creeps.

I have the Happy Hooker book. It was a gift, I may or may not ever use it.

I don't understand the hype over anything related to this craft.

"And speaking of snobbery, this whole knit vs crochet thing? Oh my word it chaps my hook! Don't tell me that because the original item was knit (ie: the Doctor Who scarf, or Jayne Cobb's hat from Firefly) that I can't crochet it. Let's see you purl with a N hook shoved up your upturned snozz. "

Add me to this list...I've yet to really have someone tell me that because it was knitted it could only be knitted...I am one of those people that always converts knit things to crochet...it's a challenge...doesn't mean I don't like to knit, I do...not right now, but I do...

I don't get the whole "competition" thing with knit vs crochet.

I get sucked in by almost every crochet fad around, but I have a heresy.

I don't get the appeal of handcrafted wooden hooks. To you it may feel nice to the touch, but to me, a Boye aluminum hook also feels nice to the touch at a fraction of the cost.

Can't pass this opportunity up,

I hate RH acrylic (it makes my tension finger red and tender, and my arms break out in hives).

I like Caron Simply Soft

I like to feel my yarn before buying

I will never buy homespun again, (used my small stash to make a baby blanket, and then traded 2 pounds of it to my daughter for anything she had that was not homespun). Like fun fur for trims on purses, hats, collars and cuffs, as well as some cute stuffed animals. But REALLY like fancy fur and macaroni, not hard to work with and when combined with plain yarns crocheted together creates some unique items.

Not fond of suede and chenille, suede creates a nice item, but is very sticky on hooks, chenille yarn looks all twisty and sloppy when done. Can't seem to get the tension right.

Love Susan Bates, tolerate Boye, crocheting with anything larger than a J feels like I am using a bat or table leg, love the small steel hooks and thread chrochet, but due to aging eyes, find anything smaller than a 7-9 size hook slows me down alot. Don't like plastic, acrylic or lucite hooks (I have 6) The thinner ones bend and the thicker ones feel uncomfortable, I think it is because the thumb part is too thick for me. Prefer steel, and have learned to work well with aluminum. Only have one wood one (N) and not too thrilled with it, but believe it may be because I don't like large hooks and not because it is wood.

Love doilies, use them for inserts in tablecloths, sew them to the front of throw pillows and YES I have one right now in the center of my glass dining room table with a vase and 2 candlestick holders on it.

Don't understand round afghans either, I keep thinking someone found an old doily pattern and made it with heavy yarn and a big hook.

Do not like free form, ami, or very bright colors unless using a shaded effect.

Happen to love pastels for baby stuff to wear, don't want vibrant colors overpowering the beauty of a baby. But agree in using vibrant colors for room accessories (helps with focusing of babies eyes).

Absolutely love Filet, have made pictures (art), wall hangings, doilies, and find it so easy and relaxing to do. Plus it makes some of the greatest curtains and trims.

No urges here to make a cozy for anything.

Love,Love, Love Grannies, but not sewing them together. I prefer to do an openwork joining that looks like lattice work or do join as you go squares.

They are great for using up leftovers, and can be made in so many different styles. I only sewed together one, and that was a hexagon granny square afghan. Not overly thrilled with Mile a minute, get bored with it fast, but will do a Granny any day.

Love making purses, and more purses, and more purses, especially with cotton. A woman can never have too many purses...:lol

Only block my doilies and a wearable other than hats, gloves or slippers.

Never made socks, but will be trying my first pair soon.

Never felted, when I was younger wool that shrunk was a big NO NO, so I thought why would I purposely do that? But lately have had the desire to do a purse in a large open design with shiny lining showing through holes, and will probably do one soon. On my WIM list.

Never paid much attention to texture until I heard a blind girl comment on a granny afghan made from an assortment of leftover yarn. She couldn't see the colors, but knew she loved the highs and lows, soft and loose or tight and rough, just by touch. When her mom suggested just buying one that was all soft, she said no, she wanted the textured one, because it was like a family living together, but each being different. Now I close my eyes and feel all of my projects to try and see what she "saw"!!

I have a reasonable stash, mostly as a money saver and to have something on hand when a "need right away" project comes up.

I AM A PATTERN JUNKY...as I stated in another post, it would take me 900 to a thousand years to do all the patterns I have, but I feel good knowing I have it without hunting, if I need it or get bored.

I do both knit and crochet, but find more freedom in crochet. As stated in numerous posts before mine, they each have their use. Never had problem with knitters or snobbery, but I guess as we get older we learn to go with the flow more, and let it run off like water from a ducks back.

I think it is marvelous that we are all so different in our preferences. What a dull world this would be if we all liked and disliked the same things.

That is why we crochet, it gives us the freedom to express ourselves through our creations.

OK here I go

Never swatch or gauge. I crochet loose, so I always go down a hook size any way. It seems to work, when I am finished with a baby outfit, the measurements match the pattern.

I hate granny squares, or any project that has more than 4 pieces to sew together.

I buy any kind, any brand, of yarn, prefer WW. I don't like to pay an arm and leg for it, loves the sale bins.

Try to stay away from making anything in dark colors. Bothers the eyes.

I stay out of both of the LYS because the people in there are knitting snobs.

I only use Clover soft touch hooks, I wish they would make them bigger than a J.

I weave in my ends as I go.

I start a project just because I like the pattern.

Afghan or Tunisian stitch reminds me of knitting, it takes too much time.

I can't work with small hooks or thread, it bothers my hands,:no I wish I could, I love the beautiful thread projects I see on here.

I can not for the life of me follow a pattern written in symbols!!@

Thats it for me.:hook

This thread is too much fun to pass up, so here goes!

I hate Homespun and fur yarns.

I love RHSS, Caron SS, Bernat Softee Chunky, and other cheaper, widely available yarns.

I'd like to try some more expensive yarns, but my budget and the fact that this is just a hobby won't let me. (Maybe when my son is grown).

Wool gives me a rash, but fortunately I live in Mississippi and have little use for it.

Yes, I have a dishwasher, but do handwash some stuff.

I enjoy crocheting dishcloths for gifts.

I love round ripples.

I haven't made any cozies yet either.

Most of the SnB and youth-oriented patterns would not look good on my lumpy, middle-aged body, so I don't do them (except for a hat in there). I like the instruction part of the book though.

I can't do wearables other than hats and scarves to save my life.

I've never tried felting, and since I don't like wool, I guess I won't.

I sometimes tie knots.

I won't do a pattern with squares to sew together.

I won't do an extremely complicated pattern because I crochet to relax, and it would become too much like work.

I've flirted with thread crochet and would like to try more after the Christmas afghans are done.

I want to learn filet as well.

And last but not least:

I'm not very good at crocheting, but I enjoy it, and it's cheaper than therapy, so I'm doing it anyway!

I tie knots. There, I said it.

Won't touch granny squares. Love to make them but can't stand putting them together, so I just avoid them.

Don't like the SNB book except for the fat bottom bag pattern.

I use an "H" hook for everything, includign baby afghans.

I use an "M" hook for any double strand project.

Love RHSS. Have also started using some Caron Perfect Match if RH doesn't have the color I am looking for but CPM does.

I never block.

I never swatch.

Felting? Why take a beautiful piece of crocheting to make it look as though the cat used it as a scratching post.

Doilies: Love them, will never make one. I just cant' stand the small hook and small thread.

Fun Fur: How do you crochet with it? You can't see your stitches and all the fuzz makes me sneeze. I wouldn't use it if they PAID me to use it.

SUSAN BATES RULES !!

Ponchos: Why?

Fringe: Only on winter scarves. Otherwise I won't do it.

WHO SAYS I'M HOLDING THE HOOK WRONG? It's getting the job done, isn't it? (See that pile of 25+ afghans over there -- this is how I held my hook to make them) :hook

I love RHSS, Caron Simply Soft and Bernat Softee Chunky

I HATE fun fur, homespun and any other knotty yarn

I tie knots whenever possible

I will do granny squares if I really like the pattern

I love any kind of ripple pattern

I hate Ami

I have never felted but would love to try

I like the way the quilt styly afghan looks but will never try to do one agan, to many litte squares

-I like yarn! including homespun, fun fur, inexpensive, expensive:hook

-Hate to do the same pattern twice.

-No Boye's for me!:D-SB or wooden with SB head.

-Love the look of RR and plan on making one.

-Can't wrap my eyes around symbols!:no

-Have no desire to design my own patterns. I am a pattern freak and have a gazillion!

-NEVER tie knots but do crochet over ends sometimes.

-Dishcloths/towels are more environmentally friendly than paper towels.

-I don't deviate from a pattern (unless it doesn't make sense!)

-Can't bring myself to crochet things that can't be used by me or others I know.(I would never do a doily just for fun-But adore looking at the amazing work of others):yes

-I don't crochet Christmas gifts-to stressful!!

-Have never used Caron SS

Well , here are mine.

1. I have have have to weave ends in as I go. My mom made me when she taught me and now to leave them just gets to me.

2. I have to frog a mistake no matter how far. Irritates me to no end.

3. I don't think I want to felt because it would hide the beauty. Besides, that used to be an accident and "messed up" the work. And you can make a really large bag....then it shrinks?

4. I love thread, but don't go smaller than #10. I want my work to go somewhere before 10yrs are up, plus it bothers my eyes.

5. I DO like round ripples and starghans because they are different and kids really like the neat shapes.

6. I prefer motif afghans, always crochet them together. I lose interest on big bulky projects, so rarely do those.

7. I thing ami is so cool, but not one of the things I am best at.

8. I LOVE doilies and DON'T find them old fashioned. I find them elegant and pretty.

9. I think shawls and things are very pretty, but don't think they would look nice on me. I don't really make wearables except for babies.

10. I miss the thread magazines....badly. Most magazines I don't buy anymore because there is rarely a project I would make. I received a raok from Poland...a doily book and I fell in love. You can't get them here now.

11. I hate fun fur, but use it anyway. I have made lots of money on scrunchies and trim little purses and scarves for little girls. Nice money at the holidays.

12. Some expensive yarns I have tried don't really impress me much. The most impressive thing has been the cost.

13. Yes acrylic can be itchy, but it washes to a soft feel , so I don't really mind it. But I love cotton.

14. Dishcloths are a weakness for me. Very practical and they don't really ever wear out. Yes, I have a dishwasher, but I also wash by hand.

15. I can't see paying $5 or more for a christmas ornie when handmade ones are sooooo much nicer and you can have a tree like no one else.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them now:hook

Here are mine. :D

I never swatch or check gauge. This may change if I ever start making garments, but I don't see the point of having a perfect gauge for an afghan. I just go up a hook size because I crochet tightly and go from there.

I've never blocked anything.

I love the Crystallite plastic hooks (at least the bigger sizes) that so many people seem to hate.

Love Boye, hate Susan Bates.

I tie knots when I think I need to, and crochet over ends when I can.

I've never made a granny square. My hate of weaving ends in is holding me back.

I love ripple-ghans, and can't wait to make a round ripple.

I love inexpensive, easy care acrylic yarns. If it has to be handwashed, I don't want it, and I know my gift recipients don't either!

I hate fridgies, bed dolls, those doll face wall hanging things (CREEEEEPY!) and most cozies (especially TP cozies!). I do plan to make a hot water bottle cozy though...

I rarely crochet in public, simply because I hate lugging a project along.

And speaking of snobbery, this whole knit vs crochet thing? Oh my word it chaps my hook! Don't tell me that because the original item was knit (ie: the Doctor Who scarf, or Jayne Cobb's hat from Firefly) that I can't crochet it. Let's see you purl with a N hook shoved up your upturned snozz. :hook

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have to ask... Have you found or created a crochet pattern for Jayne's cunning hat? My DH has been asking for one forever, and all I've found are knitting patterns. I'm sure I could figure something out, but no need in re-inventing the wheel if there's already one out there...

Thanks!

My shameful list:

I don't block.

I don't swatch (unless you consider trying out a block pattern from 200 crocheted blocks to see if I like it for something I am doing, swatching )

I knit and crochet, somewhat prefer crochet because it is faster and I picked it up easier

I tie ends and try to weave them in as I go

I do felt, but on my own terms ie. not very much and most are bags for me/my projects(keeps me from losing my hooks & needles)

I tend to not follow patterns if I find something I like (need to make it my own maybe:think )

Baby yarns...too thin...but like some of the thicker ones (terri and pound of love and a couple others) but they need to make them in something other than pastels!!!!

Love organic cotton...hate how little you get for the price

Sticker shock at lys...but they have some yarns I love...am happy using RH Super Saver(never have a problem with it softening after just one wash and dry) but like how soft Bernat Super Value is ( they need to expand their color line)

Boucle yarn is a headache to work with.

Love doilies and commend those who make them..I would rather buy(don't have the patience for them)

Too many bootie patterns in this world.

ok...here goes....

1) i cant tell the difference between hook brands. they all pull yarn thru a loop right??

2) i get irritated at people who don't spell check. (even though i don't either......:P )

3) i will only buy yarn i can feel; or if i have felt it before.

4) i cannot believe some of the prices people command for basic patterns. i am far from an expert......if i can look at it and figure out the construction.......its not worth the money to me.

5) i HATE when designers dont give you an approximate yarn amount. or stitch counts. you dont have to be down to the decimal.....just a guess is fine.

6) i like free knowledge. if i put a pattern up online; what does it hurt me if someone makes something from one of my patterns and sells it? (not the pattern, just the item) just because i say not to, doesnt mean they won't.

7) i crochet over my ends. i don't understand why someone wouldn't.

8) i have no urge to make crocheted unmentionables.

9) i LIKE fun fur. and boucle. and all sorts of other "novelty" yarns.

:hug bettycrackpot

"6) i like free knowledge. if i put a pattern up online; what does it hurt me if someone makes something from one of my patterns and sells it? (not the pattern, just the item) just because i say not to, doesnt mean they won't."

Thank you!

Here are mine. :D

I hate fridgies, bed dolls, those doll face wall hanging things (CREEEEEPY!) and most cozies (especially TP cozies!). I do plan to make a hot water bottle cozy though...

Can someone please link me to a pic of one of these doll face wall hangings... I cannot picture what they are, and I must see one!!!

I have never checked my gauge

I have never blocked

I don't care for Susan Bates hooks (they feel "too short" for me)

I hold the hook "wrong"

I do not care for round or star afghans (beds are square so why make a round blanket)

I weave in my ends as I go, I always have and don't understand why that is considered wrong to do so.

I've never cared for the term "frog" - I know what it means and where the word comes from but I would rather hear/say "I had to undo 10 rows rather than "I had to frog 10 rows"

:D :D :D

OK, I'll play! :)

I love wooden hooks. DH is going to try to make them for me out of his scrap wood.

The more I use natural fibers, the more I hate extra cheap yarn like RHSS.

I hate Caron Simply Soft. Too much like baby yarn...fussy and hard to handle.

I hate baby yarn. Boring colors and a pain to work with.

I hate granny squares. Not only because I hate to join them, but if not careful, they can look like a seventies nightmare. Sorry. :no

I work my ends in as I work, or they may never get put in.

I like felting...to a point. Some things work well felted (like the ped beds I made). Other things, not so much.

I don't get freeform. Looks like a crochet trainwreck.

I also don't get ami. More power to those that do.

I better quit while I'm ahead.

Anna :hook

"6) i like free knowledge. if i put a pattern up online; what does it hurt me if someone makes something from one of my patterns and sells it? (not the pattern, just the item) just because i say not to, doesnt mean they won't."

Thank you!

Amen to that. I have heard "Imitation is the highest form of flattery".

Amen to that. I have heard "Imitation is the highest form of flattery".

i guess my theory is, if you dont want people to make things, why put them online????either share, or dont. ( or else put an insanely high price on it and feel justified in your pettiness. :lol )

Archived