ferret snuggle sack three strand

secretstasher

I am currently working on a huge blanket but decided to take the day off and play with some wool. I stranded three yarns together and started on what was going to be a jumper for me but decided against it and turned it into a ferret snuggle sack I think the boys were impressed.

It is a rectangle sewn up and a cord threaded through for shape.

It didn`t take them long to figure out how to get in at the top and an hour later I put my hand in and it was super warm it made me smile.

ferretsack-1.jpg

Here is Mango having a look at something strange that has appeared at his house wondering what the heck his Momma has made now.

ferretsack2-1.jpg

It didn`t take them long to suss out how to get in Mannie and Mango love it. They were by the way lying on Clyde and Munch but they must have got a bit warm and came out for air.

I love my ferrets.

Aww thankyou xxxxxx

Yes definitly It happens to me all the time. I start making something and it sometimes turns into something else or I will even start crocheting not knowing what it will turn into lol. It makes it fun. but I will be back to working on the blanket 32 squares made only about 530 to go ugh. lol. It will be worth it. Love Sian xxxx

awww thankyou all for the lovely comments.

Wowzer a 6lb ferret that is a biggun I don`t think mine are that big though.

What I did was I wound three strands of wool together with my wool winder. I made a few balls. I used two strings of double knit wool and a 2 ply so it made quite a thick wool to work with, I got a size 8 crochet hook. I chained about 64 so I got about 30 inches I crocheted until it was about 25 inches but you could make it larger so it will be quite wide.

I put the two short rows together and sewed them up. turned it the right way and I crocheted around the top. then made a rather long chain and wove it through the sack about two inches from the top. I pulled it to make a hole big enough for a ferret to be curious enough to go in.

If this isn`t helpful enough have a look for a crocheted back pack and adjust the handles into something to anchor the bag to the cage.

Honest with winter coming they couldnt ask for a better bed and being ferrets they aren`t fussy what colour or even if it looks odd as long as it keeps them warm. Thats the joy of ferrets as long as they are warm, fed and loved they definitly like to humour their Momma when I get creative lol.

In short crochet a rectangle sew up the short edges, crochet round the top, make a chain and weave round the top pull and make a hole big enough for them to get in but not the drafts.Tie a knot to stop it getting smaller and trapping them and tie to the bars. Good luck if you decide to make one as I am sure your babbies will love it xxx

Aww, that's so nice you made your furbabies a snuggle sack. :manyheart I see they love it too!

I miss my ferrets. I had 3 & they all passed of old age. I raised them since they were babies. I was too heartbroken to get any more when they all 3 passed away within 6-7 months of each other. Maybe one day.

Thanks again for the lovely comments I have told the boys that they are now famous on crochetville they just asked for treats they have been in their sack all day.

When I said wool I meant acrylic it needs to be washable and tumble dryer proof. go for it mabey we can start a snuggle along lol.

Ferrets are so rewarding they love you with all their hearts I didn`t know there were so many ferret parents on here lol.

Kazily you will have to get some more when you are ready there are loads out there that need a home. and imagine all that crocheting you could do for them ;-)

Thanks for the instructions.

Yes, Norton is a biggun....he is actually adopted from a ferret breeder vs a pet store ferret. He has been shown and has a few ribbons and trophy's LOL!! The breed ferrets seem to be much larger since they don't come from "ferret mills".

Norton1.jpg

Hopefully you can see this picture...LOL!! This is at his last show, she asked if she can take him for his final "senior" points in the Spring.

He's such a snuggler!

Yeah I am totaly in love with Mango. Though at the begining he was found stopping traffic under a busy bridge where I live. A woman stopped her car to try and catch him, she looked in the back of her car to get a blanket and he climbed in and looked at her all pleadingly. She put an ad in the paper which my boyfriends mom phoned me and before my fella could say anything I phoned this woman up who had no idea what to feed him or house him in. he was in a cat box in the bottom of the garden being fed raw heart, bread and milk. I must add she meant well she saved his life. we brought him home, hoping the owner would come forward for him but despite several ads in the local news and contacting every vet no one came.

My other two I had at the time took him under their paw. the elderly Guinn I had at the time washed him all night. the next morning he had the desperate eyes of a mother who had been up with a baby all night Guinn had been loving him all the way through. I swear he telepathically begged me to take him off his hands for half an hour so he could get some sleep lol.

Ferrets never cease to amaze me with their caring attitute towards fellow ferrets. When Guinn got to old to care for his personal hygiene as well as he should the other ferrets would wash him top and tail and once I saw Mango deliver some ferret biscuits to him in his last days.

So yes I love to spoil my ferrets hehe. I will think of something else to make soon I am sure of it lol. take care all and thanks for the lovely comments all my love Sian xxxxx

Awww...my 2 ferrets Ralph and Alice where found when they "walked into a bar" 1 on one day, the other the next. They were both under a pound, someone must have thought they would survive in the "wild". Ralphie is now a healthy 3# and Alice around 2#'s. Both snuggle and Alice loves to give you kisses.

How pple think they can survive in the wild when they have been domesticated for a thousand years or so is beyond me. Aww fancy walking into a bar for help. they must have been clever ferrets you are great taking them in. I have a little ferret playing with a table tennis ball at my feet and another killing a toy mouse. oh how much fun it is to have ferrets xxxx

Ralph and Alice are running around with their squeeky toys right now, their tiny toys for little dogs but are so small we brought them home for the ferrets, Norton is just sleeping. They LOVE them and are running around going crazy. We own a pet supply store (hence 5 dogs, 4 ferrets, 1 gecko, 1 aquatic frog and 15 hermit crabs...are ours!) Thank goodness we get our stuff at cost..LOL!!

Well off to work...work 7 days a week...no rest for the weary!

Looking forward to some crochet time later!

• 8 months later...

Archived