What's the Worst Yarn you've ever used?

I don't like Homespun, but really like Red Heart Super Saver. Although I must admit, the only things that I tend to make are tapestry crocheted bags. I like the durability of RHSS. It does feel scratchy, but goes away once the article is washed and fabric softener is used.

I also get the occasional "slug" in my some of the skeins that I buy, but I really can't complain when the yarn is as affordable as it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is always the redheart cheap acrylic. [is it called supersaver?]Don't know why it is but this really feels like nails on a chalk board to me. I do crochet most of my items in acrylic so am not a yarn snob it is just super plastic feeling to me - It is a super stiff yarn as well.

@MDickens Same here for the RedHeart. I do like Homespun though when I get it. I like it for hats. The fun fur was never a fav of mine for crochet but I like it when crafting my paper book crafts or for using when I add tags to items.

• 2 weeks later...
i hate fun fur or bucle they are soo difficult to see stitches, homespun too.. But i can work with the lighter colors and with certain patterns.. Actually any yarn that is all fluffy and has puffs or string hanging around it, i hate to work with. I will edge with it, but not make a project with it.

amen!

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to the feel of it, I cannot stand Red Heart Super Saver. It feels like dusty yarn and I hate the feel of dust.

When it comes to actually working with the yarn, I'd have to say of the ones I've used, Homespun is the worst. I can work with it doing granny squares/hexagons but if it's anything I need to do rows on, I cannot work with it.

LOL...this is an old thread but a question that never goes out of style.

I have a love/hate relationship with homespun. It is a royal pain to work with, but it is so soft and wonderful for prayer shawls which I love to make.

By the time I finish a project with it, I am thinking I won't ever use it again...after a little time, the right project comes along and I pick it up again!

I love homespun, though it can be annoying to work with it is just so soft and snugly, lol I can't help it!

There is this other yarn I hate right now, but I can't find the wrapper to see what it is. It is thinner than homespun but has a twist like homespun with the thread running through it. I'll post a picture maybe one of you will recognize it.

Nut this yarn it just soooo frustrating! it backs/bunches up and comes apart, and is impossible to frog. I have to buy some baby yarn to use with it just to be able to see the stitches. I won't buy it again, no how no way!

I believe I have found the type of yarn. I think it's Bernat Baby Boucle Yarn

post-44424-135897606143_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

though many dislike homespun (I'm kinda neutral) I believe it is one of the number one selling yarns or something like that. I've used it..eh... but it sure works up into pretty stuff if you don't strangle it (or it strangle you!)

• 1 month later...
Well everyone knows me Homespun issues so that is one yarn I don't care for, I had a hard time with it splitting. I also don't like the eye lash "Fun Fur" type of yarn. I like the actual Fun Fur but not the kind that looks like fake eyelashes.

Hi Luv2Crochet

I find fun fur hard to work with it's so bad on my eyes.

Red Heart Super Saver

It might be sacrilegious. I know a lot of people love the stuff. I have never dislike a yarn more. Having said that though, I don't use the novelty-type yarns at all. I might dislike those more if I ever broke down and tried them.

• 3 weeks later...

I participated in a Caron yarn test several years ago. It made my hands break out and I never learned what kind of yarn it was. Still have no idea.

I will KNIT with Homespun but not crochet with it. I will use Fun Fur, both only knit with it held together with the same color of a DK or fine weight yarn.

I've used a ton of RH Super Saver. It is rougher than I like but holds up well for charity items.

Caron Simply Soft is another yarn I've used a lot for charity purposes

• 6 months later...

1.) Caron's Simply Soft.....they should have named it "Simply Splitting" ugh

2.) Caron Boucle; I love the look, but you must gauge TWICE and only crochet ONCE..........and don't even think about being able to unravel a mistake. It locks down on itself forever.

3.) Mohair mixed with Lurex - the effect is similar to #2 only you'll cry for all the $$ thrown down the drain just to buy several small skeins to complete a project. And then - you should line it with something afterwards so the wearer does not itch or get scratched. Lastly, make sure a rich customer buys it after you've gone through all the trouble of fashioning it into something "posh". Geez!

though many dislike homespun (I'm kinda neutral) I believe it is one of the number one selling yarns or something like that. I've used it..eh... but it sure works up into pretty stuff if you don't strangle it (or it strangle you!)

I agree, I think I might strangle myself with it when I use it but it does look good after I actually make something with it. :blush

I do not like Homespun! I think the colors they have are beautiful, and it is really soft to touch, but it's a pain in the rear to work with, and I made a scarf once and it shed all over my black wool peacoat! Never again!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using a lot of homespun lately and I do have issues with it. Either it splits, it's full of knots (SO MANY KNOTS!!!) or it's going thin to thick thin to thick messes with me but I really do adore it's softness and the colors are just simply beautiful. I'm a total sucker for beautiful colors.

Archived