What's the Worst Yarn you've ever used?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly enough, I can't think of any yarns that I absolutely hate. The closest thing I can think of is this one ball of some fuzzy-ish "fun yarn" that I don't know the name of. It's very soft and I love the finished look of it (kind of looks like soft white hair), but there's no way you can frog it. But other than that... I don't mind RHSS much, and I don't mind the bulky fuzzy yarns like homespun or light & lofty (great for quick hats). I've never had my yarn squeak on me either, unless of course my hands are sweaty, and that usually only happens when I'm knitting.

:P worsted of course:lol :hook

:lol I just laughed so hard I snorted.

Try explaining that joke to a non-crocheting male like my husband. Not so much. :lol:

I hate that eyelash-y yarn, or the stuff with the big blobs of fiber on it. I found a really cute one of those yarns and tried to make a hat out of it--it was my first knitting project and I couldn't remember if I had knit or purled some of the rows, so I guessed--oh my heck. Ugliest, loudest, least pride-worthy project EVER. :lol:

I have been making a scarf with Red Heart Hula. It is going to be absolutely beautiful, but I would hate to use it for anything larger because it splits so much (worse than Microspun). It isn't that I don't like the yarn, because I do (my husband said it looked like something under black lights and one daughter said it was like putting together a fractured rainbow), but you have to be careful with it.

Lion's Pound of Love... love the colors and price, but working with it is a nightmare! It splits like crazy, and is loaded with knots and joins. I once spent three days trying to untangle a skein of this stuff, and it came from the factory like that! Also, I was so dissatisfied that I e-mail them about it, and they never even bothered to reply :( Actually, most of Lion's yarns leave something to be desired.

~Randi

Caron Simply Soft! Don't get me wrong- it is very soft and pretty- but it splits like crazy for me and squeaks. The squeaking is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. On top of that it pills so badly that the sweaters I have made out of it are no longer wearable without being shaved! I have another sweater half finished out of it but got so frustrated with the squeaking and splitting I put it away last winter and never finished it.

I agree. I see so many raves for it, yet i DREAD if that's what someone brings me for their project, because i think it's a pain to work with. Used several skeins of it for several things, have yet to be impressed with it.

On the other hand, i agree with what a few people here have said about the RHSS being economical, etc. I've used RH for years, and i've not had any issues with it.

Red Heart Plush did it for me. The stuff is slippery and it attracts static like none other. Trying to stitch while the yarn is stuck to me is verrryyyyyyy distracting. I ended Freecycling all of it to a woman who makes chemo caps.

Homespun is the yarn I love to hate. It's so soft and I'm sure beautiful things can come from it, I'm just not sure I'll ever be the one to make it. :lol That fun fur is tricky too. It never seems to come out as fluffy and poofy as it's supposed to. The little hairs get crocheted into the project and I lose the effect. Can't frog it either. Red Heart Plush is at my dollar store but I won't even buy it at that price. Too much static. There was this bulky, hairy yarn from Berroco that I tossed once. Can't remember the name and I don't think they make it anymore but I got it in black (big mistake) and it also stuck to itself with all the static. I only paid a dollar a skein so no big deal. I've had issues with RHSS too. Very affordable yarn with lots of colors and easy to work with but the one afghan I made with it for myself didn't stand the test of time. In fact, it looked a hundred years old after just 2 washings. I spent a lot of time making that afghan and it was such a shame. With all that said I love Caron Simply Soft (can't wait till they get a "real" white back) and Vanna's Choice is great too but I'm hoping they get some different colors in Vanna's Choice. They're ok but not much of a selection and I think the variegated is too scratchy.

I'm a Red Heart girl myself. I love the colors and I've never had a problem with scratchiness.

I also won't use Homespun again. I made a scarf with it and found it difficult to "find" the stitches. Also, after I used the scarf a few times, it stretched like crazy.

Caron simply soft is not a good choice for me either. It splits terribly, there is not a good variety of colors, and the end project is limp.

I like Vanna's Choice and I Love This Yarn.

Just give me Red Heart from my local Walmart--cheap, great colors, sturdy.

Lion Brand Boucle' OMG, the stuff is horrid!!! I won't be buying anymore of it, that's for certain, and I'm currently floundering my way through it to make a project bag and use it up because I can't see using it for anything else. It's so hard to see the stitches. But it was cheap and some of it was bought for me, so I can't complain too much.

I also have 2 rolls of Yarn Bee Luscious in a pale, light green that is super soft and super hard to use for the same reason as the above. I plan to pair it up with a regular yarn (soon as I find one to match) and try making something with it that way. It's too soft and pretty NOT to use.

My husband bought me several rolls of Lion Brand Incredible ribbon yarn. I thought it would be bad to work with, but it's turning out fairly easy. Just goes to show you never can tell what will work easily for you and what won't. Live and learn, I suppose.

I could be quoted as having once called homespun the torture yarn. I have since reconciled my differences with homespun and now use it occasionally (for BICOs).

Yarn Bee Playful is killing me though. I finally gave up and put it with a strand of RHSS to work with it, and it's working out all right, but it's not the effect I was going for originally. Will not buy more of this when I finish with the eight (yes eight, my grandmother thought I would like them for the fun colors, and the playfulness of it) skeins I currently have. I'm thinking wrist warmer and scarf sets are about all this is going to be useful for.

• 4 weeks later...

My least favorite is regular Red Heart--I also find it too scratchy. It's ok for purses and I'm using it to good effect in Dot's "Eastwoodly hat" but I'd never use it for anything near my skin.

I've never had the problems crochetingwith Caron Simply Soft others here have--I use it for chemo caps since it is so soft. I can't knit with it, though, because I split it.

I use homespun and Fun Fur for those chemo caps too, but not for anything else. For some reason it's easier for me to see the stitches when I'm working in the round. (However, that is not true for RH Light and Lofty--but I find I can knit with that one OK. And it hides the uneveness of my knitted stitches, since I'm a beginner and not very even!)

I really HATE working with many of the yarns mentioned here, like Homespun and fun fur, but my current least favorite yarn is Caron Simply Soft. I have been using it to make rectangles for the Warm Up America CAL, and after 2 skeins it is very hard for me to convince myself to start the next two skeins. I like the end result, but it is almost TOO soft and the first few rows have me wanting to fake a hand injury!

Sara

I really HATE working with many of the yarns mentioned here, like Homespun and fun fur, but my current least favorite yarn is Caron Simply Soft. I have been using it to make rectangles for the Warm Up America CAL, and after 2 skeins it is very hard for me to convince myself to start the next two skeins. I like the end result, but it is almost TOO soft and the first few rows have me wanting to fake a hand injury!

Sara

I hate to say, too, that it tends to pill.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Phentex and fun fur. Can't stand either one of them. Call me odd but I do like Homespun and have made quite a few things out of it.

Archived