What's the Worst Yarn you've ever used?

Even though I always have to fight with the Homespun, I eventually get it to cooperate - but I'd have to say the one I hate is TLC. It's not soft, it always splits or frays, it just gets on my nerves!:thumbdown

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can usually get the Homespun to work out eventually if I go slow. So I genereally only use it to make small projects. I like the novelty yarns as trims to some of my projects. (But again in small doses.) But the two I would have to say were the worst our Baby Clouds and Patons Nuance. The Nuance was so bad I started calling it "the nuisance yarn."

And the Baby Clouds was horrible! I couldn't get it to work because it kept getting stuck on itself! I actually returned the unused skeins and threw away what I had already started using!

I can usually get the Homespun to work out eventually if I go slow. So I genereally only use it to make small projects. I like the novelty yarns as trims to some of my projects. (But again in small doses.) But the two I would have to say were the worst our Baby Clouds and Patons Nuance. The Nuance was so bad I started calling it "the nuisance yarn."

And the Baby Clouds was horrible! I couldn't get it to work because it kept getting stuck on itself! I actually returned the unused skeins and threw away what I had already started using!

I absolutely agree about Patons Nuance!! I bought 3 skeins on sale and was so glad I didn't pay full price for it.

Kim

I like homespun (when the project is finished) but hate crocheting it lol

I also hate any yarn that has nubby things sticking out from it. :lol

The WORST yarn I've used though...is a Yarn Bee yarn, expensive about $10 a ball (I used a coupon to try it)...can't recall the name but it is like several types of yarns rolled into one ball. It goes from sport weight, to slubby things, to worsted, to thready like & then thick again. None of it is the same kind of yarn! Yikes...it was the yarn from Hades lol...I have no idea what prompted me to even try it. Maybe it was temporary insanity. LOL

Caron SS...the first skein I tried was full of tied on ends and it splits easily. I love the feel of Chenille, but it isn't practical. Don't care for Light and Lofty either.

The very first skein I bought of Caron SS did the same thing but I gave it another try and it's now one of my favorite yarns. From what I've heard here, there are sometimes bad batches from the manufacturer and if you contact Caron they will replace the skein for you.

Kim

>I also hated Bernat Softee. It felt soft in the store, but the more I worked with it, the >weirder and slimier it felt. Ick. And then, to top it off, it got all limp after one washing.

I usually get most of my yarn second hand and I don't think this stuff had a label. but it was very oily feeling. it kinda a was metal looking, not shiny metallic like gold or silver, steel looking. I made a hat and scarf. but I haven't done anything with it because I don't know who would put that on their head feeling so oily!

A hemp/cotton mix. The yarn wasn't really "bad", I just think of yarn as soft, fluffy, oooooohh, mmmmm, yummy soft to touch and feel.

Er um, I've got issues, HA HA HA :lol

>I usually get most of my yarn second hand and I don't think this stuff had a label. but it was very oily feeling. it kinda a was metal looking, not shiny metallic like gold or silver, steel looking. I made a hat and scarf. but I haven't done anything with it because I don't know who would put that on their head feeling so oily!

Dang Cheryl, that sucks. And after all that work, grrrrrr :devil

I got brave last year and bought one of the HUGE cones of cotton boucle that are left overs from textile mills. It was 100% cotton and looked pretty on eBay. When I got it, it had hard fibers in it, like mini sticks, probably pieces of the cotton plant. I went ahead and crocheted a mini afghan, hoping that when I washed it, the fibers would come out. Well, I picked and picked that thing to get out most of the fibers. I washed it and was shocked when I opened the washer. It hadn't been spun very well, as there was fuzzy fibers ALL over the the washer. I could literally scoop hand fulls of my afghan out. There was still an afghan, but it looked like it had been pulled apart by wild animals! AND GUESS WHAT! It was still full of those hard fibers! The rest of that huge cone is upstairs gathering dust.

Caron Simply Soft! Don't get me wrong- it is very soft and pretty- but it splits like crazy for me and squeaks. The squeaking is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. On top of that it pills so badly that the sweaters I have made out of it are no longer wearable without being shaved! I have another sweater half finished out of it but got so frustrated with the squeaking and splitting I put it away last winter and never finished it.

YES!!! I'm SO glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way about Carol Simply Soft! My friend's daughter asked me if I would crochet a sweater for her two-year-old, she had bought the yarn already in the colors she wanted, so I said sure! No problem! It was actually the first time I had ever felt the Caron SS, and I was very impressed with how soft it was. Then I started to crochet with it, and after about 30 minutes I was ready to hurl myself (or at least the sweater-in-progress) in front of a truck! It split so badly, as it was going through my fingers it was unraveling into individual strands! :eek I had to re-twirl it to make one strand again so I could continue crocheting!

Elle

The absolute WORST yarns I have ever worked with were two gigantic cones that I bought from some textile dealer on Ebay. They had no names on them, so I don't know what name brand (if any) they were.

The first one was a seven pound cone of a whitish-cream colored homespum-looking thing that felt like I-can't-describe-it. It kind of felt like a cross between raw cotton and that stuff that the spider webs you get at Halloween are made of, and it was a zig-zag thing that was impossible to frog if you had to. The other one was a pinky-salmony varietaged thing, also on a huge cone, that went from being 1/4" in diameter to being almost 1/2" in diameter all in a space of about eight inches! If you pulled on it too strongly it would just pull apart. It had some kind of fiber wrapped around it, apparently to hold it together, but it wasn't doing a very good job, and it was SO coarse feeling! I threw both of the cones out. I had bought them on one of my first Ebay yarn shopping trips back when I really had no idea of what I was getting, I was going by the fact that I was getting some 14 POUNDS of yarn for just under $20. Live and learn.

Elle

RHSS - scratchy and I break out in hives

Homespun- can't maintain a decent tension and it seems to tangle alot

Chenille- finished products look all rumpled like it was slept in or on.

Suede- seems to grab onto hook and itself and takes all my energy to pull it through

Love fun fur for trims and small projects, I don't look for stitches I feel them

Love boucle and fancy fur, just have to remember to keep tension loose and use a bigger hook than usual

I could crochet with the larger cottons all day, strong, not stretchy, not expensive and work up into some really nice items. Using them for only dish cloths is a waste, try them on some regular patterns, like purses, scarves, hats, toys, shawls, summer blankies and things you don't want to have alot of warmth or fuzziness.

Caron simply soft is a dream yarn for me. Doesn't stretch alot, so it is good on purses (my fav) and baby items. Also doesn't leave fuzz in babies fingers, toes and mouth. TLC is good that way too.

Right now I'm making an afghan with Homespun...I am going nuts, because it splits and I keep having to rip out rows, can't see the stitches and either miss one or just miscount!! I had in mind to make a jacket with some, but nixed this idea. If I ever get this thing done, I will NEVER buy any of it again. I got a free sample of some type of funfur kind of yarn a couple of years ago...ended up giving it to my s.i.l. who knits....Good Luck! Can't stand the sight of those eyelash looking yarns either, that stuff would make me crazy!

• 3 weeks later...

Caron Cotton Terry! It's going in the trash! I bought several skeins of it somewhere and I know why it was on clearance,lol! It's impossible to work with! (At least for me,lol!) The nubs get all caught up and it's a mess. One word....YUCK!!! :lol

Lion Brand Colorwave. It's a boucle type yarn and I cannot see the stitches for the life of me. I don't have any problems with LB Homespun or Joann Sensations Boucle, so it's not like I cannot deal with loopy yarns at all, but this one has defeated me.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate hate hate lion brand homespun. That yarn is the work of the devil. I'm young and have good eyes but man I couldn't get it to work with me. Since then I will never buy boucle yarn again! And fun fur I will never use that is also the devil.

TLC Wiggles - the thread slubs get caught up in the hook, and I can't in good conscience make it into anything for a child since those slubs are so "pickable". As I child I picked any little thing (lint, pilling) off sweaters and such, and the thread slubs tear up the yarn when they get pulled.

Archived