What's the Worst Yarn you've ever used?

Oh, I also hate Caron's Simply Soft. And I find that that nasty Red Heart Super Saver acrylic is the squeakiest yarn of all. If you held a match to it, it would simply melt. :(

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My least favorite would be Rainbow Bocle from JoAnns. I love how items look and feel after finishing a project but working on it is torture for me.

I agree! But the end result is so nice...

That Rainbow Boucle from JoAnn's.... I love the finished stuff I see other make with it, but I just couldnt use it myself. I ended up giving away TONS of it to a good friend of mine. And, of course, I love what she's doing with it. :blush

AAK, my next project is with Rainbow Boucle! But I'm just finishing something with Red Heart Symphony, which is beautiful but awful to frog! So I'm hoping the Boucle won't be so bad after that. I've never used RHSS because I didn't like the way it felt in the store but I'm thinking about using it for a purse.

• 2 weeks later...

I used homespun for my first ever afghan. It's nice and warm, but the fraying and splitting and chunkiness ... and I thought it was because I was a rookie.

I'll defend Red Heart SS -- it is cheap, the skiens I've got have worked ok, and it holds its structure well for patterned squares. That said - if I could afford to do all my afghans in Alpaca, I certainly would.

Homespun and Light and Lofty.

Can't stand either one.

I also am not too fond of chenille, because of the difficulties before mentioned.

Yarns that split are not good either. Fiesta by Red Heart does that for me, so I won't buy it again.

:manyheart

Homespun and Light and Lofty.

Can't stand either one.

Bummer...I saw a great sweater pattern using Light and Lofty. I suppose I could substitute something else...

I think the worst yarn I ever used was (well, is, sort of, I still want to do something with it, because it looks really good) Lion Brand Matrix. Matrix is Lion Brand, isn't it? Anyway, it's really hard to work with. I really like it, but I'm not sure I'd buy it (I was given what I have for my birthday a while back). And it really doesn't work for fingies! I wanted to use it for Coppelia, but it sort of irritated by hand.

Two words: FUN FUR. Hate it. With a passion!!!!! :angry

Another one that is bad is the Wal-Mart brand of yarn 'Mainstay's'. I bought it in a pinch one Christmas when making tiny Santa stockings for the tree...HORRIBLE. The yarn ply's kept coming undone and the stitches just didn't lay right. I am glad it was just a small project and not something I had invested more money in!

Jennifer

I heart :hook !

After reading these posts, I think people either love Homespun or hate it. I think it's great!

I like Homespun. A few years ago I knitted (Don't hurt me!!) an afgan and also crocheted a sweater out of some beautiful varigated yarn that I'd bought on an extreme sale.

Loved it :manyheart !

But then again, I have never been able to afford really expensive yarn so that Homespun was a real treat. Another thing, I am actually scared of expensive yarn! What if I ruined it!!!!!! I'd never be able to forgive myself.

Another one that is bad is the Wal-Mart brand of yarn 'Mainstay's'. I bought it in a pinch one Christmas when making tiny Santa stockings for the tree...HORRIBLE. The yarn ply's kept coming undone and the stitches just didn't lay right. I am glad it was just a small project and not something I had invested more money in!

Jennifer

I have had the same experience with Joanns brand of yarn 'Sensations'! I bought some a while back and the skein was just a rolled up bunch of loose ends...the yarn wasn't even in one piece. :angry I won't buy that again for sure....:no

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

the worst yarn i ever used is red heart super saver. i sit and crochet for about an hour and then i break out in hives all over my arms. i tried wearing long sleaves while i use this yarn , but somhow it gets through the material. so i just dont use it.

I've stayed away from Lion Brand Homespun. My mom made an afghan and it was very tedious for her. If she can't handle it, then I doubt that I could. I made a very scratchy afghan with Red Heart Super Saver variegated yarn. The colors were so pretty I couldn't resist. It's a display item.

CurlySue

I think the worst yarn I ever used was (well, is, sort of, I still want to do something with it, because it looks really good) Lion Brand Matrix. Matrix is Lion Brand, isn't it? Anyway, it's really hard to work with. I really like it, but I'm not sure I'd buy it (I was given what I have for my birthday a while back). And it really doesn't work for fingies! I wanted to use it for Coppelia, but it sort of irritated by hand.

:no I HATE Homespun. I'm making Martha's comeing home poncho for my sister (her request and her choice of yarn). Maybe knitting with it would be easier but I just can't get it to slip through my fingers with the crocheting. I can't keep my gauge; it's either too loose or too tight. GRRR!!! :rant I will be sooo happy when it is finished...thank-you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Yarn Bee's Frosting by Hobby Lobby. It's greasy and it combines the worst of all the yarns out there. I had forgotten its name until I read that it was on sale this week.

A close runnerup is RH Supersaver.

Archived