What's the Worst Yarn you've ever used?

Let's see...

Homespun has to be the all-time worst. You can't see the stitches, the end product stretches and looks ratty after washing. It's bad enough to crochet with, but completely impossible to knit with.

I also hated Bernat Softee. It felt soft in the store, but the more I worked with it, the weirder and slimier it felt. Ick. And then, to top it off, it got all limp after one washing.

Red Heart SS may be the rot-gut of acrylics, but I do have to admit the end product stands up to repeated abuse and machine washing. Crocheting with it is fine, but I found it was too rough to knit with.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's see...

Red Heart SS may be the rot-gut of acrylics, but I do have to admit the end product stands up to repeated abuse and machine washing. Crocheting with it is fine, but I found it was too rough to knit with.

:lol Loved the imagery! :lol

I also have to say that one of the nicest ponchos I've made lately was with RH Soft Yarn in Embers. The color is gorgeous and the yarn worked really well for the pattern.:yes

The other yarn that I personally can't stand is Caron Simply Soft! I love the colors but I hate how that yarn splits.:no

Kim

Bernet Velour. It fell apart a lot while working with it. So frustrating & messy! (Oh yeah, it was just from the ends I think, after I cut the yarn to work with.) I could see why they let it go to the Dollar stores. I used it for one of my first actual finished objects too. I decided to tackle a variety of yarns when learning; I figured if I could learn with those, other more normal yarns would seem like a breeze. :lol

I don't have issues with "Squeaky" yarn; I hear that often. Once in a while I've squeaked but find that it usually seems to be when I'm holding the reserve yarn with too much tension. And there was one bad skein where I had to change the type of hook.

I was dying when trying to use some Moda Dea Eden the first time. So I set it aside and didn't use it again for a long time. Used it to edge something recently though, and found I didn't have problems crocheting with it like I used to.

Ticker Tape was a bit of a hassle too when using a big metal hook; I kept piercing right through the middle of it :lol instead of grabbing the whole width to hook through. Haven't re-visited that yet either, but will soon, since I bought a new colorway of it on sale not long ago. Who knows; it too might be a lot easier now, after some time and practice has passed.

I guess I'm weird in that I actually kinda like working with Homespun. It can hit a stubborn spot one in a while but I love how FAST it works up! Yarn Bee Fleece Lite is even bulkier and the same, so avoid it if you hate Homespun. :lol

OMG, I was also going to say Red Heart yarns but decided to just pick on Lion Brand Homespun instead. :) ...

Kim

Me, too. I don't want to offend RH and Homespun users, but you asked! I quit using Red Heart many, many years ago because it is soo rough and plastic-y, but I picked some up last year for a gag gift I was making: I didn't want to spend much and it came in just the right color. But I ended up throwing it all in the garbage. It was like using a thornbush: It actually had splinters of WOOD in it! And knots. And it was thick and thin. Figures, the one time I buy it in 20 years and it's unusable. Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!

I'm not a yarn snob, btw: I'm making a sweater right now with Vanna acrylic, and I do my charity baby hats in Microspun -- which also splits badly and is a PITA to work with -- but I will not buy RH or Homespun ever again. It's not that Homespun also is just about impossible to use, but after it's washed, it looks like the pelt of the Abominable Snowman.

RedHeart, especially the super saver is a least favorite. It does wash up acceptably, but it's so painfull to work with.

Homespun is horrid. I learned the hard way not to make anything with lots of color changes, it'll fall apart if you don't knot it very, very well or if you look at it sideways.

Funfur of all types I have major issues with....

I don't like Vana's, but that's because of the color choices, as I've never worked with it. They all look dusty and dull. (and no, they don't all go together either...)

I do like Caron SS, it's my favorite of the 'standard' acrylics, I've only had 1 or 2 bad skeins out of many and no issues with splitting. I've decided that I have to become a yarn snob... if only because it'll keep my stash down and I can actually find the colors and fibers I want...

<chenille... its soft but i hate the shedding i dont waste my time with it,>

quote from frogsrock above

You know I was sooooo glad to have you jog my memory with that one~~~ I spent many hours on both a shrug for dd and a shawl for a new mom - and the SHEDDING of the RH was terrible - but what happened with the Lion brand was that when I was done with the shawl I held it up sideways (the yarn was deep blue and turqoise verigated so dead on you couldn't see this) and tons of loops appeared from nowhere as if I had missed a stitch!!! It was double stranded and apparently the 2 strands took on different tension and stretch factors !!! DD never puts it on - so there you have it - a waste of time and $$$.

That Rainbow Boucle from JoAnn's.... I love the finished stuff I see other make with it, but I just couldnt use it myself. I ended up giving away TONS of it to a good friend of mine. And, of course, I love what she's doing with it. :blush

I vote for Homespun and Caron SS. Homespun for the obvious reasons others have stated. And Caron SS because it splits so bad.... I'm sticking with cotton!

I have to say that anything furry is a nightmare. But, to give credit....I have made LOTS of money using it on scrunchies. I buy the elastics at the Dollar store...14 for one dollar and crochet around them with the fur. Little girls love them. I sold forty to one person once. And I also use it to edge purses and scarves for little girls. So, even though it's a pain, I still use it.

I bought some chenille thick and quick because Mark wanted a scarf with it. I started it, but haven't finished it. I don't really like it for some reason. But, I'll finish it eventually since he likes. it.

I haven't tried the homespun and probably wont after reading everyones troubles with it here. I don't want to spend money on yarn and then it be unusable.

"And fun fur is Muppet Murder!!!"

Oh pluh-leze...

Although on another site, a knitting friend of mine posted the picture of the cookie monster with this saying on it...

I have a few skeins of Light and Lofty in a blue/green verigated color. I started a BICO in it, and absolutely hated it!!! If anyone wants it will happily mail it anywere in the us, and pay postage myself just get it out of my way. First pm gets it... what no takers? I wonder why....

Congratulations Tiga...!!! Thanks for taking it off my hands, and promising to do some good with it! She said she will most likely use it for Project Linus. Yeah, everyone wins!!

Hmmm, worst yarn...nothing yet has made me totally nuts, but the Lion chenille isn't looking like a good buy. Fortunately, it was cheap! Acrylics don't bug me too much, I appreciate their durability. OHH...Patons Rumor is a serious pain to frog, as is Fun Fur. I like the end result, but ouch if there is a mistake! The knots where the fuzzy fibers twist are the worst.

My biggest yarn dissapointment- I ordered Bernat Galaxy yarn online, having never felt or seen it in person... big mistake! I hate that yarn. It is soo hard to work with, too nubby, can't frog it, and to top it all off- it looks like something puked in the yarn. :eek YUK. :yuck I really don't like redheart supersaver either, too scratchy and my finger gets sore quickly while working with it.

I'm beginning to wonder what is wrong with me that I like super saver.

Nothings wrong I LOVE super saver, its economical(I have a dd who is graduating this yr, So money is tight) I love the colors, and after I wash it, and dry it its soft

Lets see I despise light n lofty, caron simply soft too splity, I think Boucle was made to torment me. umm anything wool, I'm very allergic.And to the lady who told me buy Merino you won't be allergic, I'm sending you my benadryl bill lol

I have to vote for Homespun as well. The stitches literally disappear. (It is someone easier to knit, though, because you can't "lose" your stitches).

Also, I hate Lion's Chenille. It is a mess.

And recently I used Paton's Grace and hated it. Like many mohair type yarns it sticks to itself like velcro. If you make a mistake you can forget about frogging. That yarn won't let go!

My least favorite would be Rainbow Bocle from JoAnns. I love how items look and feel after finishing a project but working on it is torture for me.

P.S. All you homespun haters out there, please feel free to send me your scraps! Homespun is one of my all time favorite yarns to work with!!!

Caron Simply Soft! Don't get me wrong- it is very soft and pretty- but it splits like crazy for me and squeaks. The squeaking is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. On top of that it pills so badly that the sweaters I have made out of it are no longer wearable without being shaved! I have another sweater half finished out of it but got so frustrated with the squeaking and splitting I put it away last winter and never finished it.

Archived