What's the Worst Yarn you've ever used?

Home Spun drives me nuts!! 

I have no desire to try all the new "yarns" that change texture and have pieces of fabric all different widths.  I have no use for the sashay sp?  type yarns that make ruffles.  I imagine there are some great uses for it, but not my cuppa. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to agree with you on Divine yarn. I am currently working an afghan in Divine. It is super super soft, but when you crochet it into something it changes texture. I eventually went up to a J hook and the larger hook allowed the yarn to retain the soft characteristic. I will say though, it was difficult to find an afghan pattern that complimented the yarn - so I designed my own (still in its early stages). The photo doesn't show the fuzziness of the afghan well.

Other than that, though I love the fisherman's wool by lion brand, the yarn was either knotted or broken in various places throughout the 12 skeins I used for another afghan.

My favorite yarn is probably Patons Classic Wool Roving. Super soft for wool - not itchy.

post-71847-0-94697400-1400495127_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Lion Brand Pound of Love, every skein of it I have bought has been full of knots or horrible frayed areas that had to be cut out.  I have bought several because the price is so reasonable and each time the yarn has been the same.  The last time I bought it I finally had to roll the entire skein into center pull balls because it was so frustrating to get to the middle of a row and have to cut out a fray or a knot.  

I have heard this referred to as "Pound of Knots"  LOL!

I don't like Homespun.  But I don't know the name of the worst yarn I've ever worked with..  I was asked by my sister to make a poncho style wrap for her.  She picked out the pattern and instead of using the recommended yarn, she picked out something else that she liked better colorwise.  It was absolutely the worst thing I've ever tried to crochet with.  The yarn went from the thickness of a crochet cotton thread to big fuzzy lumps to worsted weight to shaggy sections and back to thin again and repeated this in random sections.  I had to admit to my sister that I couldn't work with this to save my life and gave it back to her.  Since she doesn't knit or crochet, I think she threw it out.  I bought the recommended Ticker Tape ribbon style yarn and the poncho turned out beautifully.  She gets compliments on it every time she wears it.  But every time I think of that other yarn, I shudder.

Homespun is a nightmare for me.  I don't like Red Heart Super Saver yarn. Yuck!  I really dislike the sashay yarns to make those scarves.  Sorry to anyone who likes them. :shrug

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, if money was no concern, I would buy all the pricey little skeins I see in the store. The ones that all seem super soft, and smoothe, variety of colors etc. But I find the pounder to be most economical, and red heart super saver is probably the most common. The one pound baby yarns are often softer and more cozy, but limited in colors, I mean c'mon is it so unreasonable to need a pound of baby yarn in black? The caron pounders are softer than the red heart, but I find they split more easily, and I must crochet with care.

Since my favorite thing to crochet are graphgans, I can't very well buy 150 tiny skeins of yarn at 5 bux each. So part of the challenge I guess is accommodating the budget.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am not a fan of Homespun and unfortunately have 3 banana boxes of it in my stash, Will force myself to use it up in lapghans.  So hard to see the stitches!!  Keep putting this off, not buying it again no matter how cheap it is!  Charlene

I hated using fuzzy yarn! I tried every technique there is to make it easier, but it didn't work. In the end I just counted really well and hoped for the best. The sheep I made ended up huuuuge. It was supposed to fit in my shepherds arms, but it was way too big. Still don't know what I did wrong.

I once posted a thread about how much I like "Homespun" yarn. Everyone seems to hate it but me! I love it, and have yet to have trouble with it. It's VERY easy to crochet with, you don't have to "see" where to put the stitch, I just use the sense of feel, and you can crochet quickly just by using your fingers.

Worst yarn ever?? Oh it was this absolutely, miserable, almost unusable yarn that was Made In Taiwan! It didn't have a brand name, and came with a cross stitch kit. The yarn was SO bad- so bad, that it fell apart as it was being used. It was just as if they had taken a big crate of waste yarn, and somehow pasted all the broken pieces together! A lot of yarn now is being made in China. This is what it is when on the yarn websites says "Made in USA and "imported" :that little "imported" in passing, is all CHINA. Say it, don't try to fool us with words like "imported". We are not fooled and PS- Lion Brand? Red Heart? Caron? all of you- if listening, we know what imported means in your descriptions, and we much prefer yarns from ANY nation except China, and I think I am unanimous in this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I find black yarn very difficult to work with. I have a lighted hook that helps, but it's plastic & has the wrong shape for me (I prefer Bates/in-line hooks). 

I've also found that hook type makes a huge difference. I constantly struggle with Boye/tapered hooks, but Bates/in-line ones work flawlessly for me. 

Black  yarn, it depends on the yarn itself. I like the brown sheep company yarns, their black is gorgeous but they don't make the "Top O' The Lamb" any more, Im not sure what kind replaced it. They had a lot of complaints because the yarn would go thick to thin to thiick again, slightly uneven- I liked it, it gave the patterns a kind of cool look to them.

I notice a LOT of Chinese yarns on ebay lately!! TONS- you have to pass pages and pages of them to get to proper yarns, they are all a brand "ICE" I think? I don't like this. I got a kit, second hand, tapestry, that was "made in Taiwan" (it came in a bag with a bunch of other crochet/needlework things so I got it) it was THE worst yarn- it would never have passed inspection here in the States- it was all, well, it was made up of pieces of broken yarns like, glued together! Weirdest thing.

And I know what you're talking about with the hooks- I buy old ones when I see them, so I can use metal as it slides much easier, I don't like the new plastic-ey ones, and yes the in line ones I find make the work easier somehow.

Archived