What's the Worst Yarn you've ever used?

I bought a round ripple afghan kit from Herrshner's a few years ago. The yarn was Lighthouse Blues. No where in the description did it say 100% wool. The skeins were knotted and frayed. There were 3 skeins that had knots every 4 or 5 inches. I called to let them know about it, and the girl on the phone told me she had to charge me to ship 3 skeins. I said no, I wanted it shipped free as I already paid for shipping. She said no again. I got her supervisor, who shipped it free and gave me a gift card for my trouble

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love homespun yarn. The varied thickness and texture never really bothered me. I made two large granny square afghans for my nieces out of it for Christmas. I haven't found a yarn that I just can't stand... The softer the better for me though. I'm not a big fan of RH Super Saver - it seems so crunchy.

• 3 months later...

Anything knobby, splitty, stringy, or too thin. Drives me crazy. As I get older, my eyes tend to not be able to catch individual stitches, now couple that with yarn that splits so you're pulling a pice through that won't give.

Recipe for a bad mood.

Red Heart isn't THAT bad, when I'm making hats for my kids-they'll wind up giving them away or losing them, so going on the cheap isn't a bad thing. I only have to put up with it for an hour or two per hat per kid, so I can live with it. 

I ADORE Loops and Threads worsted, and I love nice thick cotton/wool blends. They make my eyes and my hands happy!

Lion's Pound of Love... love the colors and price, but working with it is a nightmare! It splits like crazy, and is loaded with knots and joins. I once spent three days trying to untangle a skein of this stuff, and it came from the factory like that! Also, I was so dissatisfied that I e-mail them about it, and they never even bothered to reply :( Actually, most of Lion's yarns leave something to be desired.

~Randi

Or as I have heard it referred to - Lion's Pound of Knots!

I love working with Red Heart Super Saver - I never have trouble with it and once I wash it, it's so soft that I make a lot of baby afghans out of it. I've never liked Homespun. I was just given a skein of yarn in a beautiful red and I'm afraid I won't use it. I don't like working with a yarn that goes from thick to thin in texture. The absolute worst yarn I ever had was some that my sister picked up to have me make a poncho for her. It was horrible! Big fuzzy lumps, thin as could be in some spots and thick in others. UGH! I went out and bought a ribbon yarn for her poncho and told her that her purchase was unusable. I think I threw that junk out!

The first time I tried Homespun, I had just started crocheting again after 10+ years.  Not a good choice for a "beginner" which is almost what I was at the time.  I ended up sticking it in my stash, and not using it again until I decided to loom knit a hat with it.  The hat turned out beautiful and I would use that yarn again to loom knit something in a heartbeat, but I haven't tried to crochet with it again.

I also hate any skein with messed up sections.  I use simply soft quite a bit, and I run into that every once in a while.  It's just irritating.

LB Homespun or Joann Sensations Boucle I want to try these but as of yet have not...They looks like they could get out of control thanks for the heads up...

I have some Chenille ( 6 boxes or more of this stuff donation items) so I will see how that goes a well working with....

The yarn I seem to have the most issues with is Caron Simply Soft I find it to be slinky or slimy but I am aware of the issues & have made several shawls with this brand..

I use RHSS/Micheal's Brand/Caron pounders the most I prefer the Caron Pounder balls due to no dye lot number to worry about...

All these comments make me wonder...with all the people who dislike Homespun, why in the world is it still so popular?!?!  Maybe because it does feel soft and look (fairly) pretty???  I don't like it either, but whenever I get some in a donated box or at a yard sale, I just make prayer shawls and scarves with it, using all double crochets between the stitches (because my old tired eyes can't see the stitches themselves!!), and I "git her done"!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't particullary care for Caron becuase it 'splits' , that and bulky yarn.  I made a poncho for a friend from Bulky and I cursed it start to finish.

• 2 months later...

I really do not care for textured/novelty yarns when crocheting. Anything that makes it difficult for me to see the stitches, I don't like. But the absolute worst I have used is red Heart Super Saver. Granted I think it's a good yarn to learn on since it is cheap. But it is so stiff and scratchy and it just does not work well for most projects in my opinion. It's OK for afghans when made with large hooks (N and up) but beyond that... no. Just no. 

• 1 month later...

I don't remember the brands, but I don't get a thrill with fuzzy yarns, the kind that would look like mohair when crocheted or knitted. They tangle and ripping out stitches is annoying. From reading the posts, I'm going to avoid Homespun like the plague!

• 1 month later...

Usually vintage acrylic yarn is the worst for roughness on fingers. Novelty yarns can be difficult, especially to unravel. But I had a terrible time once with an expensive handspun hank of laceweight wool. Beautifully dyed, but it was rough even with how thin it was, and I could not unravel it! I ended up breaking it off while trying to unravel it and never finished the broomstick lace shawl I was making. The dye smell was unpleasant and strong, too. 

• 3 months later...

Lion Brand Pound of Love, every skein of it I have bought has been full of knots or horrible frayed areas that had to be cut out.  I have bought several because the price is so reasonable and each time the yarn has been the same.  The last time I bought it I finally had to roll the entire skein into center pull balls because it was so frustrating to get to the middle of a row and have to cut out a fray or a knot.  

I don't like to work with Homespun or RH's Light and Lofty. It is just too hard on these old eyes to try and find my stitches. :(

​I have a large bunch of homespun that was donated to us-- and , like you, I can't find where to put my stitches on some of it.  So, when I'm making prayer shawls with it, I use a simple dc, and I dc between​ the stitches!   No problem!  It looks great, and it's SO soft!

Lion Brand Pound of Love, every skein of it I have bought has been full of knots or horrible frayed areas that had to be cut out.  I have bought several because the price is so reasonable and each time the yarn has been the same.  The last time I bought it I finally had to roll the entire skein into center pull balls because it was so frustrating to get to the middle of a row and have to cut out a fray or a knot.  

Yes!  I bought a skein for a prayer shawl, and there were 5--count them--5 knots in the first 3 yards!!!  I emailed the company, and they sent me a replacement skein within three days!  (I only found 2 knots in it--in the whole skein!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

although i love the feel of homespun but i have had so much trouble with it and all those fun furs, and fun yarns. i do not know if it is cause i am so new or what 

No! It's just the "nature of the beast"!!  I think we all feel the same way.  And--unfortunately, many of the best patterns on LionBrand.com are using homespun!!!!  Ar-r-r-r-r-rgh!!!

• 1 month later...

Any yarn that has any sort of 'eyelash' or 'fur' or just anything sticking to it! Like those bobbles hanging off of yarn, or those yarn brands that have thick patches of yarn then thin patches. Those annoy me to no end, I won't even use them for edging. They just annoy me to no ends of the universe!

Archived