What's the Worst Yarn you've ever used?

I think the worst yarn I ever used was (well, is, sort of, I still want to do something with it, because it looks really good) Lion Brand Matrix. Matrix is Lion Brand, isn't it? Anyway, it's really hard to work with. I really like it, but I'm not sure I'd buy it (I was given what I have for my birthday a while back). And it really doesn't work for fingies! I wanted to use it for Coppelia, but it sort of irritated by hand.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well everyone knows me Homespun issues so that is one yarn I don't care for, I had a hard time with it splitting. I also don't like the eye lash "Fun Fur" type of yarn. I like the actual Fun Fur but not the kind that looks like fake eyelashes.

I think my least favorites are any of the really soft fluffy yarns. I love them to pieces, and still work with them, but frogging that yarn is just painful. :)

Homespun. It creeps. The sts tighten down. Have to work very slowly to make sure I'm getting into each st. Don't like it.

Real Deal

i hate fun fur or bucle they are soo difficult to see stitches, homespun too.. but I can work with the lighter colors and with certain patterns.. actually any yarn that is all fluffy and has puffs or string hanging around it, I hate to work with. I will edge with it, but not make a project with it.

I haven't ventured far away from good ol plain worsted, but I do have some Bernat Galaxy that has thwarted all my attempts to crochet it. So fuzzy I never could get past the beginning chain! :eek Maybe it will be knit into something someday.

Homespun and Divine. The Divine felt soft while I was working with it but the shawl is very itchy!

"Just because my lips aren't moving doesn't mean I'm not counting shh!"

So far, my least favorite was a skein of Bernat's Camouflage. I felt very acrylicy (and I didn't know how acrylic felt until I worked with this yarn...it squeeked!). Maybe I just got a bad skein, because other colors of the Camouflage yarn has been fine.

I haven't ventured far away from good ol plain worsted, but I do have some Bernat Galaxy that has thwarted all my attempts to crochet it. So fuzzy I never could get past the beginning chain! :eek Maybe it will be knit into something someday.

Ooooh. I love Galaxy. I didn't think I would like it at first, but the afghan I made with it is just wonderfully plush.

my least favorite was definitely some fun fur with the little clumps on it that make it impossible to pull through, see where the stitches are or take apart. I don't remember what kind I had, but I know never to get anything like it again

This GIANT Red Heart super saver variegated skein I got at Wal-mart.

Cheapest of the cheap acrylics.

There are other yarns out there that are a tad difficult to work with, but this one, makes my fingers burn to use. I bought it to make an afghan for my daughter, but I doubt I'll ever use it, it's so cheap, thin, scratchy and just plain gross.

Oh, and for all the boucle' and homespun haters (lol), I just feel for the stitches instead of looking for them; makes it much easier, and if I don't get it in exactly the right place, who will know? Also, never do anything but a simple sc or dc stitch when using them; anything fancier won't show up anyway. Not even a shell or a fan, so why stress yourself out. Save the pretty stitches for the yarn that will show them off well!

I know it feels good but I can't work with it. I don't want to 'feel' the stitches, I want to see them AND feel them! And as much as I don't like it, the stores that carry it use up a LOT of space displaying it! I always wish they would put something more user-friendly in its place.

That's my 2 cents.

While I've experienced similar difficulties as others with Homespun and fun furs, and such, once I know what I can and can't do with a particular yarn, it's not really a problem and I'll still use them...and while there are some really cheap acrylic yarn out there that make me feel like I'm crocheting with plastic bag yarn, some of the worst yarn I've used in the past were things like mohair...that was torture (the project turned out great, but I had a devil of time working with it...)

I have to say though that consistently the toughest time I've had with a yarn has been Microspun or it's German equilivant Microsoft (yes, Microsoft was the name of the yarn...) Splits so badly...doesn't matter if you knit with it or crochet with it, regardless of size of hook or stitch...but I perserved and actually made several projects with it, including a dressing gown with a train...that was slow going and a little frustrating. It's like just double the time it takes to make anything because of having to go slow so the yarn won't split and it still splits anyway...

the worst yarn I have ever tried to use was a pile of vintage mohair, it made me sneeze! I am going to stick up for fun fur as I use it alot to make bears! I had some sirdar snowflake...now that is impossible to crochet, I gather it knits well though! :)

OK...don't hate me...but anything by Red Heart. I have been using a lot of 100% wool lately...I picked up an afghan that I had started a loooong time ago. I am using RHSS....yuck! It squeaks! I guess you can call me a yarn snob! LOL!

OK...don't hate me...but anything by Red Heart. I have been using a lot of 100% wool lately...I picked up an afghan that I had started a loooong time ago. I am using RHSS....yuck! It squeaks! I guess you can call me a yarn snob! LOL!

OMG, I was also going to say Red Heart yarns but decided to just pick on Lion Brand Homespun instead. :)

I have tried a couple of different Red Heart yarns and like you said, they 'squeak', and I find it very 'sticky' to work with....I'm glad I'm not the only one!! :clap

Kim

Archived