What's the Worst Yarn you've ever used?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished a baby hat that I made with Debroah Norville bulky yarn. It's soft and beautiful but splits when you work with it. I also am beginning to dislike Red Heart! I have had some skeins that are so rough and stiff that the yarn won't even pull through my fingers!

I've had this happen before all I did was take it back to the place I bought it (hobby lobby) showed them what was wrong and they exchanged it for another of the same... and they didn't make me bring back what I'd already crocheted w/... =0)

I have had this happen lately with Red Heart too!

the worst natural fiber yarn I've ever worked with was mohair (kid mohair is another matter though...it's nice) hard to see the stitches and just a pain.

There are alot of novelty yarns like the eye lash yarns that can be difficult...but the worst acrylic yarn was this loose twist yarn called Microsoft (yes, it was) in Germany and Lion Brand's version is called Microspun. Caron Simply Soft reminds me a bit of the Microspun, but it's not nearly as bad to work with...it doesn't split as much...

But if I like the look of the yarn for the project I'm working on, I'll deal with the aggravation the yarn might give me...

My sister gave me some chenelle yarn that when I tried to work with it literally fell apart in my hands. I can't remember for the life of me what brand it was, but it was the only yarn that I ever just gave up on and trashed. I have never tried any other chenelle yarn since.

My sister gave me some chenelle yarn that when I tried to work with it literally fell apart in my hands. I can't remember for the life of me what brand it was, but it was the only yarn that I ever just gave up on and trashed. I have never tried any other chenelle yarn since.

If you are talking about this yarn, I feel your pain! Mine isn't in the trash yet but it's one step away!! It's probably the yucky-est excuse for a yarn I've ever used.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, I'm new to crochet and have been doing it on and off for a little over a year and used the Sugar and Cream yarn and love it! Learning with that was easy for me. Now I am crocheting my 2nd project which is a blanket and I'm using Homespun. The yarn is so soft and cuddly but darn hard to work with. I thought it was just me. LOL. I see that I'm not the only one. Oh well, I bought 6 skeins of them...gotta use it. I'm 33 and my eyes are bad too that I need my glasses crocheting no matter what but this type of yarn I really need them and the yarn is multicolor. It might have been better using a solid color. I'm taking my time so that I get into each and every stitch.

I have to agree about the Homespun, between it splitting and not being able to find the stitches it was just to hard to work with. I packaged it all up and gave it away, only to have it given back to me for the same reasons I gave it away. It sits now in "the basket" of forgotten projects.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Lion Brand Homespun. I love the way it looks but cannot stand to (try to) work with it. It is highly uncooperative, at least in my hands. I have bought it more than once and promptly returned all unused skeins after yet another short trial with the first one opened. Sigh. So pretty. So miserable.

Anything with "fur" in its name runs a close second. Awful stuff to work with.

2 that are equally frustrating to me are -

~"Jaimee Yarn" dunno but I think it was by Red Heart. And the little shiny wrap thread that spirals around the yarn shaft had snags, got caught on hooks - would fray - terrible...

~Lion Chenille - it does not lay flat when crocheting and creates the most uneven texture and twists so that later when the garment or object you crochet is used, a twist will unwind and stick out like a loose end - grrrr!:eek

• 2 weeks later...

The worst so far has been Bernat CottonTots. It pilled horribly when I had to frog it and some colors even broke if I pulled on them.

Second place goes to the "cream" color of Caron One Pound. I use lots of One Pound yarn and generally like it, but the cream color is a horrible texture and very "squeaky".

Not a fan of Homespun (knitting with it is a nightmare) but I was able to crochet with it without too much issue.

• 2 months later...

After reading a few posts, I believe I may have been mistaken. I used fun fur and Homespun together to make an afghan. It was terrible. I blamed it on the fun fur. :think Maybe it was the homespun?.! Will have to try fun fur again, maybe.

Chenille - which has been discontinued. Last year, I crocheted an entire project using Chenille. After I had finished, I washed it per the instructions and the fiber became irreparably separated, shed, I could not give it to my grand son for a gift.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who said Homespun. I thought it was me - it seemed so nice in the store, and I just couldn't work with it - visually or by feel.

My experience (well, fiasco might be a better word) with Homespun turned me off of anything but regular old cotton, acrylic or wool. Now that I know it's not just me, I might be willing to try fun fur or similar yarns.

Wow, this thread isn't exactly an advertisement for Homespun, huh? :lol

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who said Homespun. I thought it was me - it seemed so nice in the store, and I just couldn't work with it - visually or by feel.

My experience (well, fiasco might be a better word) with Homespun turned me off of anything but regular old cotton, acrylic or wool. Now that I know it's not just me, I might be willing to try fun fur or similar yarns.

Wow, this thread isn't exactly an advertisement for Homespun, huh? :lol

I know, it's so funny, isn't it? Some people absolutely LOVE the stuff and some of us just LOATHE it. The only thing I have to say in Homespun's favor is that the afghan I struggled through is indeed the warmest in the house--even more so than the wool one. Go figure. :think

Archived