can you crochet in church?

(And it was not during prayer or the lesson)

I know what you mean - I must confess (no pun intended:lol ) that though I would not crochet or knit down in the pew during a regular Mass or prayer service - I HAVE however done it during choir practice, up in the loft, when a different section than mine is taking a long time going over their part - I get fidgety and bring just a small dishcloth project, and put it in my lap discreetly. No one minds at all.:)

I have wondered about that for years. I think it would even make me want to go back to church if I could do that during the service. I wouldn't want to distract anyone else, but it would help me sit through anything if I could knit or crochet.

I posted this earlier, but I may have forgotten to hit the submit button!:lol

I need to concentrate on the sermon and personally I think it is disrespectful to the preacher. Our church is very small, less than 50 people and when my neice visited a few years ago she brought her knitting. I was distracted and very embarrassed.

I don't know many churches that would say anything negative to you if you brought your handiwork to keep your hands busy. Some people might frown, but I doubt you will be confronted. Although I no longer attend church regularly, I have been to many different churches of different denomination, size, and style.

If keeping your hands busy helps you listen or concentrate or sit still or just allows you to feel less self-conscious, I would suggest saying something privately to the pastor or a deacon before the service begins, like, "Is it okay if I crochet while listening to the sermon? It's a very small project, and keeping my hands busy helps me focus on what's being said. I can sit toward the back so as not to disturb others."

When it comes down to it, going to church is a personal thing, and how you choose to enjoy the sermon is, too. Whether or not God (or whomever you worship) would be bothered should be considered, maybe moreso than what others may think of you.

Just my opinion.

Amanda

I have and would again. I worked for the church I went to and the monister knew that I was listening to her as well. Just keeping busy as I get antsy just sitting. And no one ever said anything except to ask what I was making either before or after the service.

Archived