can you crochet in church?

Depends - if there is going to be waiting time, then yes. A small project that doesn't create a big mess. Nothing larger than a baby blanket, for sure.

And it get put away, in a nice bag (no plastic grocery bags, that's tacky for church!), during the sermon.

If, during coffee and donuts, people are talking to you, I wouldn't crochet, since you are new to them, and they might consider it rude and may feel like you aren't paying attention to them.

But certainly, if you expect to have to wait, alone, for any period of time, a small project is okay.

I usually have a small project in my purse at all times for waiting in unexpected lines or whatever.

I think that depends on your church; you might go the first time and scope it out to see if it is something that people wouldn't mind you doing. I know there are churches that don't mind---lots of people on this site say they crochet in church. In any of the churches I've been to, people wouldn't really appreciate that, but I do live in a very conservative state and the people (and churches) here are very conservative.

Nicole

Sometimes I have! If I sit in the back I feel no concern about doing it ... but if near the front where my movements are discernable by the minister, the choir, etc I won't out of respect. I woudn't want my actions to be mis-interpreted as being disrespectful.

In Vermont it is the norm to see crocheters and knitters at Town Meeting (that once a year event when we decide the town budget and taxes for the comng year)

and whenever I go to baseball games, from Little League to Major League I take my WIP

I'm going to try an interfaith church with some relatives. Donuts and coffee are served, so I thought it might be safe to bring crochet. Can you?

The last time I went to Sunday services I think Clinton was president :P .

I forgot to mention ... am glad to know you are returning to church ...:manyheart

I have been known to.

In a very small, informal church I went to with my ex, it was understood that I needed to have something to do with my hands (I've since been diagnosed with ADHD), plus, usually, I was working on something for another church member! (LOL) I kept the projects small and non-distracting.

In a large church, I have been known to bring a small project.

Right now, I'm visiting at a mid-sized church, and I'll feel it out. (Of course, I also have to deal with a 7-year-old DD who hates to sit still, so usually I'm occupied with keeping her in her seat & quiet, so crochet isn't even an issue.)

Thinking about your post, I wouldn't take a project to a church and plan to work on it the first time I went, even if I did have down time. People tend to want to "meet & greet" visitors & get acquainted, and having a project in hand might discourage others from approaching you.

(But, I would consider having a skein of yarn tucked conspicuously in a corner of my bag - I take a bag to carry my Bible, etc., in - it's an easy, comfortable conversation-starter. I've met a few others who knit & crochet by doing this, and have made fast friends.)

Church is so different these days than it was when I was growing up. You just have to play it by ear.

And may your visit to church be to your soul as your yarn is to your hands. :manyheart

This is something I just would not do. Church is the one time especially that 1) you're undivided attention should be on the sermon, 2) it is a time of community, time for meeting people and being one and one with them...

If there is a long waiting time, maybe...and while I believe that crochet is a good ice breaker most of the time, I just don't consider it to be so in church. Afterwards at the donuts and coffee, maybe, but I wouldn't...because again, it's the one time that I really think people need to be paid attention to undivided. Just my humble opinion.

I guess I'm ultra-conservative here. I'm of the thought that "wait time" (e.g, the period before services begin) should be spent in quiet prayer. Or at least, pretend that you're quietly praying.

Which is part of the reason why I haven't been to church in a while. :(

I know. I HATE to have idle hands...BUT I wouldn't crochet during the sermon. I went to a church once and the lady in front of me was selling Avon to her neighbor. I'm sure the preacher didn't think much of it. I'm sure you could crochet if there's any wait time, though...before the preaching starts. Most people are just sitting around talking then anyway, and it would be a good conversation starter!

I've done a prayer shawl and scarf before service, but not during the active part of the service. I'm an Episcopalian so we've 'jumping up and down' ok, sit, stand, kneel, sit kneel stand...you get the picture. I couldn't hook and haul myself up from the kneelers at the same time.

I went to a church that spent an hour standing and singing. Physically, I cannot do either of these things so I would bring my crochet or knitting. to this day, the minute I pick up a crochet hook, I just begin to pray. It was natural for me to just take my crochet and pray while they did their "worship" thingy. Don't get me started on Worship is singing... sigh.

I am now occasionally attending a very different church and I don't take crochet there.

Interfaith churches are typically more laid back than "traditional" churches. Most only require that you stay quiet and turn off cell phones and pagers. The first time, I wouldn't take anything, but once I had a feel for it, I probably would if I went to my husband's Unitarian church.

I go to a fairly large baptist church. On Sunday mornings, it's fairly formal. Sunday nights are more laid back with a praise band. Might be able to get away with it Sunday night but not Sunday morning. I wouldn't do it at church any time. I agree that the church service time is the time the body of the church comes together to worship together. I don't think one hour of uninterupted time of devotion per week is too much to ask. Now, praying while crocheting at home or wherever is a wonderful idea.

I agree with some of the others. I personally would not crochet at church. I think that a person should spend that time in prayer. The only time that I have crocheted at church is when I have taken my neice to play practice.

I think it isn't appropriate to be crocheting during the church service, but afterwards, when it's an informal coffee and chat would probably be OK. A small project, like individual squares or slippers would be easy and unobtrusive.

Real Deal

My church is 3 hours long with the second hour being Sunday school and the third hour divided up into individual classes--men/women, children, teens, etc. I have a good friend who always crochets during Sunday school and the third hour class. It never distracts anyone and she feels really comfortable but somehow, I can never bring myself to do it. I sure do want to because I hate sitting still and can concentrate so much better with busy hands, but I guess I feel like it's too taboo for church, or something.

Church is for worship, but I can't say crochet hasn't enter my mind a time or two! I find it very relaxing but it could be distracting and I wouldn't want anyone's mind to wonder because of my activities. I wander how many other things would start if crochet was allowed? Just a thought.:manyheart

I know what you mean - I am Roman Catholic and we have a lot of things to do during the service too - so crocheting would not work out...

but a funny anecdote is that a saint of the Church - Saint Faustina was confronted once while she knit in church and she said to her superior - "It helps me pray better for with each stitch I offer up another soul in prayer."

Personally, I wouldn't and couldn't do it.

I wouldn't have a problem in most other places I go...in the waiting room at the doctor's office, waiting in line {if the line is a chair} to pay taxes, or buy car tags, or other places similar to that, but I could never bring myself to crochet in church.

I know what you mean - I am Roman Catholic and we have a lot of things to do during the service too - so crocheting would not work out...

but a funny anecdote is that a saint of the Church - Saint Faustina was confronted once while she knit in church and she said to her superior - "It helps me pray better for with each stitch I offer up another soul in prayer."

Good point...

personally I would not since my husband is our pastor. lol He might be upset with me.

My advice is to keep the hooks away during service time. after all sometimes we do so little for God we can give him a bit of our time and attention dont ya think.

and yes we are an interdenominational church.

We are Greek Orthodox and it would be very difficult to crochet during the service. I also think that if some of the yia-yias have a problem with crossed legs in church, they would definately say something about crocheting LOL

I do take a project with my when I have nursery duty. Or if my children have Greek dancing practice.

I agree with what many others said about not taking anything your first time but getting a feel for it first.

Thanks for replies. Good idea not to bring it the first time. Some people see it as a conversation starter, but others might think you're not listening.

I didn't explain the setup very well. The way it was described to me, you can either sit in the chapel or watch a live video feed from the cafeteria. If I was in the cafeteria, maybe it would be okay to do a light project.

Personally, I wouldn't and couldn't do it.

I wouldn't have a problem in most other places I go...in the waiting room at the doctor's office, waiting in line {if the line is a chair} to pay taxes, or buy car tags, or other places similar to that, but I could never bring myself to crochet in church.

other people offered their (God-given) voices/talent; I offered my God given hands/talent as it was what I had to offer. And God never seemed to mind. :wlol

(And it was not during prayer or the lesson)

Archived